1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have experience with burglarized home/apartment?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigben69, Jul 7, 2014.

1. no_answer

no_answer Member

My house was broken into, I don't think the cops really gave a crap about finding who did it. Also, my insurance company paid nothing close to what it cost to replace the things lost/damaged.

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Also, if they took anything like an iPad or possibly a phone, I know there are ways to track them. My aunt's friend had her iPad stolen by some guys painting their house. Her son (who's about 10 years old) was able to track it. They got it back, and he was taken into custody.

3. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Seriously, Comcast is ridiculous. There was a giant footprint on the front door. He either kicked it in really hard or kicked it in and used a crowbar. No alarm.....I have never needed one before but now strongly considering. There is a system that announces when someone enters the apartment and which door they came through. I thought a deadbolt would slow someone down at least but I guess not.

4. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah I was trying to think if anything could be tracked. I have had a phone stolen and was able to figure out who did it before but with this stuff nothing.....the PS3 and PS4 are not able to be tracked I guess. I would think PS4 would have some sort of tracking feature by now in case of being stolen. I saw that some people have been able to get Sony to track the IP address of where a PS4 is once it is turned on and online but have to have a subpoena. My PS4 is password protected. Not sure how hard or easy it is to get around it. I did change my password to my account and removed the credit card on file in case. Something strange, he did not take any of the games for the PS4. I know he saw them because he took quite a few things off of the shelf that were right next to them. It would be great if I could track the laptop somehow. I am kicking myself for not installing some sort of security to find its location in this situation.

On a side note, the deputy told me to always take pictures of my stuff, including pictures of serial numbers. Insurance said that that would have worked best too. I have all of my receipts almost which I thought would be good enough.

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

That sucks. Did you have receipts of everything? My TV and PS4 should still be the same value as when I bought them but everything else....probably will not get much.

6. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

My mom's house was burglarized while she was home. Just kicked in the front door in the middle of the day. The police showed up 3 hours after the 911 call. They never caught the guys, and didn't seem to take it seriously.

I have had two co-workers also get their doors kicked in. One they never caught the guy. The other, also had her cell phone stolen, and I was able to help her track it. I even used Google Latitude and Google Street Maps to retrace their steps and called pawn shops they stopped at. However, the police only recovered the cell phone. They didn't even charge the people in possession of it (I think one was a juvenile, because I tracked the phone to a middle school), or follow up to find the rest of the stolen merchandise.

I'm guessing your deadbolt is fine, but the door jamb is destroyed. This is really common. Those little 3/4" screws that "secure" the deadbolt strike plate don't do much. You really need to replace them with ~3" screws. Every apartment or house I've ever lived in has had this problem, and it is one of the first things I do when I move in now.

I've been told that once you've been burglarized, it's more likely to happen again. Thieves know you'll replace your stuff. They'll just wait a few weeks, and strike again. Don't know if this is true or just fiction, but it makes some sense.

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

That is what I am afraid of. I am taking precautions to make it more secure. I hate to have to do it but I have learned my lesson. Luckily for now, I have nothing to take anymore. When I got home, I saw the entire deadbolt on the ground. It was like it was just popped out of the door. The bottom lock was just turned inward. The door jamb is the only thing that looks fine. That is one of the first things people ask about when I saw the door was kicked in, if the frame was broken.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No... Cops are busy protecting the streets from weed and setting up speed traps. You think they got time for home invasions?

9. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Interesting. How does the door itself look? Did it split? I'd ask for a brand new deadbolt to be installed. Sounds like you might need something like this also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c646ca64dcb91dd7df-20&linkId=NOKYRYP3YZWWXEZC

I'd still pull the screws to see if they're short, on both the door latch side and the hinge side. When I had a house, I used kits from Door Jamb Armor that did a great job fortifying the door. They are available at Lowes. And don't forget your garage door if you have one, that's also a vulnerable entry point.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What parts of town/neighborhoods do you live in and generally what time are you at home or not home?

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

The door looked ok as a whole. The front was dented in some where it was kicked and it was cracked around where the locks broke through but that is it. They already replaced the door. I will look into this. Thank you!

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Jersey Village area. Lots of apartments around. I picked this one because it was known as one of the more safe and secure complexes. The officer said that this was the first time in 4 years that he had been called out to the complex. I just work a typical schedule. Gone during the day. I come home for lunch at random times though. The cable technician knew that I worked during the week because I had to do a Saturday appointment and I thanked him for coming on a Saturday since during the week it is so hard to find time....

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's a horrible feeling. They robbed us in the ghetto when I was poor. Police is a joke when it comes to those areas. They blame you, why you living here?

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Back when I was in high school we were having Time Warner (what is now Comcast) install cable in my parents house. I remember the guy was just kinda shady, he noticed where everything was because he was in every room.

A few days after he finished work on the house, our house phone would ring but when we answered, the person would hang up (this was before caller ID was around). We found it very suspicious.

Then one-day I came home from school and the entire house was ransacked, over $6k worth of stuff stolen.

We told the police we suspected it was the Time Warner guy. They jotted it down but did nothing about it.

When it comes to home burglaries, the police do nothing

Sorry bro, I know the feeling

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah, pretty bad feeling. Sorry that happened. When I got home and saw that every drawer was open and all of my boxes were emptied or open, I just felt sick to my stomach. Such an invasion of privacy. I cannot comprehend how anyone could even think about doing that to someone.

It sucks that they didn't do anything. I was hoping this officer would since there was a witness.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

As stupid as it sounds, it'll be a feeling you'll have for the rest of your life. Coming home, all the lights are on, and it's as if the whole house was turned upside down. Still remember it as if it were yesterday.

Good luck with your things, and I hope your renters insurance takes care of you. Also be careful when hiring contractors (I know it was Comcast, but just in case you have a choice in the future)

17. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Thank you. I can't believe how easy it is for someone to break into someone's home and steal everything and get away with it. Especially if there is a solid lead.

I am going to hide my things from now on when people have to come in and try to do as much as I can on my own.....all because of this worthless PoS who is too lazy to work harder for what he wants in life. Hopefully he gets caught eventually and gets raped in jail. OK done venting....

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think owning an intimidating dog is one of the best home security investments around. And they double as good friends!

19. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

This. Get you a chihuahua, they love to bark and attack strangers.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Go Sherlock on their a**, and solve it yourself. Screw the police.