1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have ATT&T U-Verse for their TV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vanilla Rice, Mar 31, 2009.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If you've got a TV that's digital ready and HD ready, then yes, all you'll need is rabbit ears to get your local digital channels and HD channels.

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I have it and like it. The best feature is the full house DVR. Record everything on the main DVR and can watch it in any room with AT&T box.

My only complaint is for some reason, alot of my shows seem to be a little off in regards to the sound. When someones talking either their lips move before the sound or vice versa, not sure. Regardless, it can be a little annoying. Maybe I can use previous posters idea of getting some freebies or discounts.

3. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Excellent. I really appreciate your input.

4. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

That alone would annoy me enough to cancel the service. Does it happen a lot or just periodically? Perhaps the signal going to your TV is weak...I wonder if a call to customer service would help fix the problem. Have you tried to have it fixed?

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I don't think it is all the time, but I mostly notice it when watching something like the news or talk show where you focus on someone talking. Haven't tried calling customer service, but plan to sometime this week,

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they now Offer a Bundle with DirectV

Rocket River
    I found out after I fired DirectV for U-Verse

Not complaining though

7. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'm pretty happy with it overall. Only problem I ever had was when I'd turn it on after having it off for a few hours, the remote wouldn't function properly for about ten minutes. It took them a few attempts to fix it, but they did. Sometimes it's still a little wonky on startup, but usually for 30 seconds or less.

I've also noticed if I pause live tv then fast forward back later, it might get a little glitchy. But it can be fixed by rewinding back just a second.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I too am fixing to ditch comcast for Uverse, my install date is April 18th...so I can change my mind prior to that....so as a comparison to Comcast...how does UVERSE HD compare to Comcast HD qualitywise???

The main problems iv'e had with comcast is the remote is unresponsive..I will push the fast forward button and nothing will happen for 7-8 seconds and all sudden it will execute the command which by that time i've already pressed it like 15 times trying to get it to work.

the other problem I have is shows freezing up and blacking out...happens way too often..

Another thing is all the channels that are NOT HD...look like crap on my 40" sony bravia LCD. Now I know that SD channels will not look as good on an HDTV but the quality on my TV to me seems even worse than what I see what I go to the gym and see SD channels on LCD screens. It's like if you see the channel logo, you can see all the pixels and jaggy edges on the letters. (so how do SD channels on Uverse look on HDTVS?)

From what I have read DirectTV has the best picture quality...but how does Uverse compare to Comcast?

9. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I have Uverse. I get the popping and occasional screen freeze. I have noticed they are talking away some channels from my package. (U300)

They recently began to charge me a $7 fee per box per month. I'm not happy.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I moved from Dish to Uverse...

before that from Time Warner to Dish...

in my view..... Uverse > Dish >>> Cable

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I just switched from Comcast to DirectTv, offered through AT&T since U-Verse wasn't available.

DirectTv is so so so so so much better than Comcast, I don't even think I'll switch to U-Verse when it comes out...since I finally have something nice that works.

Though the whole house DVR is very tempting.

12. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Glad you aren't complaining. I talked to them about the DirecTv discount, but bundling U-Verse is cheaper. I think they give a $5 monthly discount if you have DirecTv. Plus, I'm getting a $100 debit card for signing up. Not too shabby.

13. joesr

joesr Member

Customer service is good.

Tv cable is decent. Will sometimes get a blackout channel including 37 (FSNSW.....Rockets). My wife remembers countless times of me running from tv to tv to see if it was just one box or the whole thing. Sigh, radio for the win at times.

Internet dsl is no cable internet but still fast enough. But. But, just like the tv channels blacking out so did the internet.

Just fyi, my zip at the time so you can compare areas was 77077.

I have regular Comcast now (in 77090) and internet is faster but still has the pauses like the ATT dsl. Maybe these pauses are just a Htown thing.

14. joesr

joesr Member

and yes it was Uverse

15. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Having been a Comcast customer, I can tell you that they are the worst when it comes to picture quality. I haven't seen the U-verse PQ in person yet, but everything I've read is that their standard channels look "near-HD" quality, but their HD picture is less than DirecTv's HD picture.

I think there is a display of U-verse at the ATT&T store on 59 near Wesleyan. You could go and check it out in person before deciding if you like.

16. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I hear ya. I'm a big DirecTv fan, and I hate to leave it. But, for a $70-$80 per month savings, I gotta try it. DTV is the best IMO, but it is also the most expensive.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

After I got U-Verse . . I wanted to make sure it was ok before letting directV go
    so . . I was satisfied and called DirectV
    . .and saying they bundled
    was their offer to keep my business
    I told them it was too late
    never found the rate i would save

glad I changed :D

Rocket River

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

After you switch to u-Verse, expect the almost-monthly regular DiwreckTv envelopes come to your mailbox asking you to come back... :D anyone besides me get those?? Year and a half and they still want me back...
    :eek: Heeeeyyyy, maaannnnn... I mentioned local HD first... :( can I get some props, at least? *sniff* *i am so lonely*... :(

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I love my Uverse!!!! My favorite part is being able to watch DVR'd stuff on any TV in the houst. I also like not having to pay for each additional box (up to 3). I switched over from Comcast and Uverse seems so easy to navigate through. The customer service is also great. Everytime I call they offer me some sort of upgrade. Actually, maybe that's just AT&T...because before we get off the phone they always review all of my services (cable, phone, net) and see if there is a cheaper option.

Call them back and see if you are in a connected community (speak to the billing department). I am (77004 area), and my package is Uverse 300 and internet for $63 a month, tax included.

Disclaimer: This is my first time having HD, so if my HD is poor quality I really wouldn't know. I do know my Channel 20 HD (where some Rockets games come on) always has some fuzzy crap at the top. I'm not sure if that’s the channel or my TV though....

20. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

My bad bro. Give me your address and I'll send you a 20% commission for the OTA antenna that I'm going to go buy. You stand to make $2! :D :D