1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone going to watch the Cricket World Cup?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by R0ckets03, Feb 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

What does this mean? Unhittable pitches? Bad bounce?

Thanks 03, I understand more than i did. How many fielders are there when a batter is batting? Is there such a thing as foul territory? or is the entire feild in play?

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What does this mean? Unhittable pitches? Bad bounce?

There is "wide ball", "no ball" and "dead ball".

Wide ball is when the ball goes outside the hitting range of the batter.

No ball is usually when the bowler steps over the white line on his throw.

Dead ball is when the ball doesn't bounce for some wierd reason.

I'm trying to be as simple as I can be. Mainly because I don't want to confuse you and because I myself have forgotten a thing or two.

How many fielders are there when a batter is batting? Is there such a thing as foul territory? or is the entire feild in play?

There are eleven fielders including the bowler. There is no foul territory. The entire field can be used. You can hit behind you, in front of you, anywhere. Only the experts batsman are experts at using the backfield though.

Here is an example of a game:

West Indies vs South Africa:

South Africa wins toss and decides to field first. West Indies gets 50 overs or 10 outs, whichever one comes first. WI scores say around 279 in 49 overs but gets 10 out.

There is a break and then SA gets to bat.

They have to try to get 280 runs in 50 overs. If they get 10 outs at any point the match is over and WI wins. They can only have 1 out, but if they dont score 280 runs with 50 overs (300 balls) then WI wins.

Making a little sense?

#22 R0ckets03, Feb 9, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2003
  3. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

There are several different illegal deliveries in cricket. "Wides" are bascally "unhittable pitches". The bowler must also deliver the ball from a certain area. If he steps outside this area before the ball leaves his hand, that is also an illegal delivery. Bad bounce really doesn't come into it, you have to take the rough with the smooth. It's more complicated than that, but it's easier to see than to describe.

The entire team fields. All the batsmen and bowlers on the fielding side are on the field whilst the other team bats. There is no foul territory. The batsmen are located centrally in the field of play, and can score runs all around the wicket. When a batsman is facing a delivery, there will be one bowler (pitcher), one wicketkeeper (catcher) and nine fielders.

4. BobFinn*

Thanks 03 and Bailey. At least now I can watch some of these games and understand what is going on.

How long does a game last? Is that 9 hours don mentioned correct?

5. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Not really, but it is quite long. A one-day match will probably last 6-7 hours (including the 30-45 minute break between the innings). Watching cricket isn't like watching most sports. You sort of dip in and out. I quite often watch with a couple of cans of beer, some food, and the newspaper. You don't need to intently watch each ball.

6. R0ckets03

How are you planning on watching it? You didn't dish out the $300 did you? Must be loaded to dish out that kind of money for something you might have a hard time understanding. ;)

You don't need to watch each ball, but you never know what you might miss. The last fifteen overs are the most exiting part.

Teams usually take it easy in the beginning while batting. Two of the best three batsman start out and the idea is to last around 15 overs or so without getting an out. Just conserve outs in the beginning so the pressue doesn't mount. If you have enough outs (more commonly knows as "wickets" ) in hand then you can start being more aggresive and basically go crazy in the later overs.

7. R0ckets03

Also, West Indies just beat the heavily favored second seeded South Africa. Woo hoo!

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Yeah that's right for pyjama cricket

Your need to get into the real stuff Bob.... TEST cricket that can last for 5 days, unless you are playing Australia and it will only take 3 days cause we arew the BEST!!!!!

9. R0ckets03

Test cricket is rather boring. Unless India and Pakistan are playing.

Anyways, your team is going down pirate boy. Just dont go down too soon. Take out those damn Pakistanis out on Tuesday first.

10. SmeggySmeg

test cricket is da bomb, certainly no more boring than baseball ;)

back to back !!!!!!

is this tournament in India........ this appears to be the answer to whether India can wint he world cup or not

PS Nice win by WI, man amazing after their start 2/10 off 10 overs

11. towel

towel Member

I'd like Australia to lose. But it's unlikely. :)

12. R0ckets03

Is that a question? If so I would be highly dissapointed in you. The matches are all over South Africa and Zimbabwe.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Were you the one a while back that hypothesized what it would be like if the Indian and Pakistani teams were combined?

14. R0ckets03

I dont know why I would say that. But it would be one scary ass team. With India's batting and Pakistani bowling that team would be unbeatable.

15. davo

davo Contributing Member

One of the few sporting advantages of moving back to Australia is that I will get to watch the world cup. The Australian Team is highly touted, but I think we will struggle - we are weak in all-rounders, and there are injury clouds over warne and mcgrath.

Rockets03 - pretty good job of explaining the game!

Smeg is right - there is nothing quite like settling in over Christmas/New Year and watching a couple of 5 day test matches!

16. R0ckets03

I dont think anyone in recent era has repeated has World Cup Champions right? So Aust has its work cut out.

And maybe its just me, but Test matches just dont intrigue me. I hate when its 20 overs gone and a team has maybe like 50 runs.

17. BobFinn*

18. SmeggySmeg

I know that i meant unless the matches are in India (which they are not and hence the answer to my original questions is NO) India have no chance, they are two different teams, a great one at home and dismal on the road!!!!!

19. R0ckets03

Hey I did claim they are like the Rockets. In more than one way.

20. BobFinn*

West Indies 278-5 (50 overs) beat South Africa 275-9 (49 overs) by 3 runs

Ok I now understand the 278 and the (50 overs), but what does the -5 mean? and the -9 for SA?