1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone going to watch the Cricket World Cup?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by R0ckets03, Feb 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This year is going to be da bomb! I know I can't be the only one interested in cricket over here? Smeggy? Dod?

Who is cheering for a country over here?

Go India! Beat those damn Pakis! :mad:

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I will be following the achievements (or otherwise) of my home nation, England.

I think news won't be good! :(

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Is it on TV over here? Is it worth watching if you don't know what the h*ll they're doing?

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Go Aussies Go!!

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No...

But, Go India!

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

7. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

The games are on so freakin early, can't even order the package. Most games will be shown like 2:15 AM!!!

As far as who I'm rooting for ... Pakistan, revenge for 99s embarrassing and humiliating loss. I also realize there is no way they win, considering their form so far :(

So ... go Australia!!! (Jump on the bandwagon early :D)

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't know if you know this, but saying, "pakis" is a racist term. I also don't think you meant anything by it so, no big deal, just call them the pakistanis.

Either way, Pakistan Zindabad! Hopefully I'll get to watch a lot of games. I love cricket!

Anybody know of any leagues or pick up games in Austin?

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<center>
    [​IMG]

Is he healthy?

</center>

10. R0ckets03

He is rounding out right about now. I have no idea why the Indians use as the fourth batter though. :mad:

Don, I'm sorry if I offended you. All my Pakistani friends don't think its a "racist" term though. My girlfriend is Pakistani and I call her a "paki" all the time. Anyways, I won't do it again if you get offended. Just as easy for me to say **** "Pakistanis" when it comes to cricket.

Rockit, that India vs. Pakistan match in 99 was one of the top five sporting events I have ever seen. I was grinning for a couple of months after that win. Pakistan has no chance, but I know India does not have a good chance either. They are like the Rockets. DUMB!

Damn Aussies and South Africans are way ahead of the field. But I guess thats why the actually play the game.

You can only watch it you have Dish Network. And then its $300 for the entire package. Most games are on around 1:15 am Houston time. And probably get over around 9:00 or 9:30.

11. R0ckets03

I think people can actually have fun even if they dont understand mostly whats going on. But it wont be as much fun obviously. Its also much more fun if you are an Indian or Pakistani. When the play its like WWIII. Its 1.5 BILLION people absolutely HATING each other for those eight hours. Nothing else like it.

I don't covet anything over a Rockets championship. Anything except an Indian World Cup baby.

India's batting is about as strong as one can get. They are better then the Mavs when it comes to offense.

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

13. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

Waise, I was talking about the WC Final against Australia. That pathetic performance, if it can be called that.

Although, I have to say that for a time, last fall, I thought India and Australia were the leading candidates to win. India has kinda faltered since then, but you never know.

Smeggy, isn't the Aussie cricket team like a pro-league ... unlike in other countries? Either way, they're freaks ... too much for other teams to handle. You see that game a few weeks ago against England?? They really poured it on.

That opening ceremony was very nice, all things considered. The only thing I thought was that there was a lack of color and overall coordination, but a good job for sure.

14. don grahamleone

I'm not Pakistani, I was just making sure you were somewhat aware of it so you wouldn't get yourself in trouble. Ultimately, it is no big deal. Some people are very sensitive. I was told that in Britain they do something called 'Paki-bashing' and the term is used as a racist remark. I actually called my friend a 'paki' and then I got a short lecture. Enjoy the cup! No matter who wins it all, the real game is Pakistan vs. India.

15. R0ckets03

Oh there is no question about that. 99 was almost perfect for us Indians. We didnt win the World Cup, but Pakistan didn't either. And we beat them in a head to head matchup.

India has faltered since tanking against Zimbabwe a few weeks back, but they are the third favorite. Too much batting for them to not be in the running. I'm keeping my expectatins in check though. I am a Rockets and Cowboys fan and am used to being depressed watching sports.

16. R0ckets03

Okay I am going to try to keep this as simple as possible:

Both team get to bat once (kinda like one inning in baseball). Eleven players per team and once ten of them get "out" their inning is over.

Main ways a person can be out:

Catch (like baseball)
    Clean Bold (the ball hits the wickets)
    Run out (its kinda like not getting on base fast enough)
    LBW (this is the most complicated way, its when a players leg is right in front of the wickets and the ball hits his leg. It has to be determined whether the ball would have hit the wickets if the player didn't put his leg in betwee). Even I dont understand this fully.

Ways to score:

Four - When the ball crosses the boundary line, but it has bounced before doing so.
    Six - When the ball crosses the boundary line and has not even bounced once (homerun).
    Singles, Doubles, Triples - When the guy batting hits the ball him and his partner (on the opposite side of the wickets) have the option of running. There are two wickets. Imagine it like where the pitcher stands and the guy batting. Both these people have to make it to the other side to get a run. They both can run twice or three times.

In these matches there will be 50 overs. Six balls per over. Means six pitcher per over. So there will be a total of 300 bowls (pitches) thrown for each team. There are a couple of error pitches which result in an auto extra run for the team batting.

Am I even making sense before I keep on typing?

17. don grahamleone

yes, but I've played the game and understand it. Americans should learn this game. Too bad a short game runs about 9 hours.

18. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Aparently Canada has a team in the World Cup this year. That's basically America, isn't it??? :D

19. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Just to clarify, an over (six balls/pitches) is delivered by one bowler only, so pitchers are rotated in six ball cycles, so to speak. Each bowler can only deliver 10 overs (60 pitches) in an innings.

I should also point out that these rules only apply to "one day" cricket, which is the variety of the game being played at the WC. "Test" cricket, is played over five days, with two innings for each side, and no bowling restrictions.

20. R0ckets03

First match is early Sunday morning Houston time. West Indies vs South Africa. Should be a good one.