1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Incredibly inspired by the interest in Model 3. You won't be disappointed. Also, small token of appreciation coming for those who lined up.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715566236822671360">March 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yay... We all get a pine tree air freshener.

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It's closer than you think... GM just bought my friends' company for a bil.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uEQqQj_zyHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lithium Ion batteries advanced by the laptop, cell phone and electronics industry is what has allowed the modern Electric car resurgence. Quite different from the lead acid ancestors.

Range - Higher range should and will eventually come. However, the actual need for it is only drilled into our heads by how gasoline cars are used. A gasoline car with 100 mile range or even 200 would be highly inconvenient because we would need to look to fill up every few days, as opposed to once a week or two. EVs are fundamentally different because they are charged nightly at your place of residence - the targeted audience right now is obviously home owners, but eventually apartment garages will be electrified also. This means every morning you wake up with a 100% charge, like your cell phone. That means unless your daily commute is beyond 200 miles a day(national average is less than 50 miles/day), this isn't much of an issue. And for those rare long distance trips, Tesla has built out a proprietary fast charging network that is free to use, forever. Charging times on these road trips may be a pain for some - 20-40 mins vs 5 minute gas fill up - but free is free.

This "range anxiety" is already ingrained in our psyche because we have used cars the same way all our lives. People will only understand the above once they experience how EVs work - which the Model 3 is about to do for many. You can ask some other Tesla owners like robbie if they agree with me on this.

Price - Battery cost has definitely been a constraint for the EV. It is what Tesla has been working to bring down and what makes the Model 3 possible. While $35k base price is not necessarily cheap, depending on what they deliver it opens the market to a much broader audience. Hundreds of people lining up for a car sight unseen is what other car manufacturers can only dream of - no matter the price of their vehicle.

Autonomous - Teslas will be fully autonomous-capable within 2-5 years. As will Google. Unlike Google, Tesla's semi-autonomous features are ready and available - today. It is on the road, and updated constantly through a machine learning AI that self improves. It is running and gathering data on all Teslas built in the past 2 years, and feeding back to a central data bank for processing - a hive-mind, if you will. Google has collected over 1 million miles of driving in its Autonomous program to date. There is currently close to 100,000 Teslas gathering 1 million miles of data EVERY DAY. Between now and the day its cars are 100% self-driving, Tesla will continue to introduce new features, abilities and refinements through over the air updates(like your cell phone) - for free.

#163 CXbby, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

9 minutes. My body is ready.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Isn't 8:30pm Pacific time more than an hour from now?

6. JeopardE

He moved it to 7:30. The reservations opened a few minutes early. I got it done ... :)

I can't believe I'm this excited about a car I won't get to drive for at least 1.5 years.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

Online Reservation link? Can't find it on tesla.com!

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Isn't it 830 pacific time when it goes up?

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

No it was changed to 730 pacific!

10. JeopardE

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

I refreshed the page for minutes and it didn't update till 7:36. (CA)

Is there some sort of confirmation email? Because I didn't get one.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Supposed to get it by tomorrow.

13. JeopardE

There doesn't seem to be one, at least not yet.

I'm hearing the server is a bit overloaded at the moment. The demand for this thing is immense.

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks for answering everyone's questions. I assume the confirmation will tell you your place in line?

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He moved the reservation up an hour. The unveil is still at 10.30 ct

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How are foreigners allowed to take a US tax credit? Who is processing the credit? Tesla or the individual?

You mentioned if more factories are built and cars hit the market sooner, there is a greater chance of getting a credit. I dont follow this logic...unless you're stating that Model 3's will otherwise take credits the earlier models would have used.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

You may get a confirmation or reservation number but the place in line is bit more complicated.

BTW Tesla.cn, Tesla's China site just crashed due to heavy traffic. Hoping the stream for the rest of us holds up.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

That was tongue in cheek. Obviously people in other countries are not getting in line due to scalping the tax credit.

Once the 200k mark is crossed, the full credit will last another 3 months - no matter the amount produced in these 3 months.

So theoretically the amount of people who can get the full tax credit depends on Tesla's production rate at this time. If they are producing 10k cars a month - 30k people will get it. If they are production 100k a month - 300k people will get it.

Same applies for 50% credit the next 6 months and 25% credit the following 6 months.

Knowing this, if they raise funds and build multiple factories(which are in the plans for the future anyways) they can ramp production high enough to theoretically allow more people access to the tax credit.

Yes this is my speculation, but I believe it is highly plausible. Elon even hinted at raising production plans a few days ago and that was before the mayhem we saw today.

#178 CXbby, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

can't even enjoy this stream, it's laggy as hell!

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

A bit late, but I guess you can follow this guy for the next 15 mins before it starts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LIVE on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Periscope?src=hash">#Periscope</a>: Live at the Tesla Model 3 event. <a href="https://t.co/O7nvO18X5K">https://t.co/O7nvO18X5K</a></p>&mdash; Jim Dalrymple II (@JimDalrympleII) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimDalrympleII/status/715732237900066816">April 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>