1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Because it's a prototype... they're supposed to look ugly. lol. I think the uglier they look, the less likely they'll go into production as-is. :D That was one of the reasons I couldn't believe the Cybertruck was real.

I honestly thought all of it looked "meh". I'm more in love with the tech and range. The design itself looked like some cross between modern-day japanese sports sedans and old-school boattail car designs.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Stuffing more batteries in a car to get more range while costing exorbitantly more doesn't make it "best", anyone can do that. Tesla is actually trying to sell cars at volume that is affordable, not just science fair projects for show.

Tesla has some decent competition in Europe with VW and China with BYD. Mercedes is a far lagger in EV, don't fool yourself into thinking they are best in anything.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They have been trying for a decade and it just isn't working out.

+

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Haha I know, bankruptcy right around the corner. 1.5m this year and will outsell Daimler by next year.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Do you put your car in self drive while you drink your Jalen Green apology spunk?

@i3artow i3aller

Sajan likes this.
  6. lpbman

lpbman Member

Something has been bothering me about EVs being the majority of transport.

For the Thanksgiving holidays, something like 48 million vehicles are on the road. When we've hit half of people owning an EV, we'll call that 24 million EVs and lets say half need to charge sometime during the trip. Lets say there are enough chargers so people don't start shooting each other over wait times.

If 24 million cars need a charge that day, and 3 million electric cars all try to fast charge at once, that roughly equals the peak generating power of the grid, no? Someone check my math.

.35Mw fast charge X 3,000,000 vehicles = 1,050,000 Mw
    US has 1.2 million Mw capacity.

I assumed the current fast charge power levels at 350kw even though some can already go higher... and I assume that homes, hotels, hospitals, factories and refineries will still need power....

I'm not pooping on anything, I badly want an EV and I hope someone points out an error I've made. I understand that on average, things will work out if the grid sees steady growth over the next decade.... But I'm talking worst day of the year type thing.

Kim likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Texas grid would melt.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

One can safely assume that the grid capacity will follow the production/adoption of EVs fairly linearly.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol. they can't even keep the lights on during a freeze. i wouldn't hold my breath.

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

On average... sure. It would require a 20-40% (Hummer EV monsters or model Y sized vehicles?) increase in capacity over a 10-15 year period which is totally doable with smart grid charging at home and such.

But fast charging a million at once EV's isn't linear at all... that's my point.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

I put it in self drive while I count my millions sucka

treyk3 likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Very cool.

CXbby likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

I know nothing about this car. But I did read the article and it seems like it’s the exact opposite of what you keep saying.

“Mercedes claims the EQXX consumes just one kilowatt hour of energy for every 7.14 miles travelled, which is significantly more than the current industry standard. Tesla’s most efficient Model 3, by comparison, goes just 4.16 miles on the same kWh.”

Maybe I am confused…

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yeah, it's a 100kwh battery... Pretty standard stuff these days. That range was achieved at an average speed of 55mph. For comparison, a 2019 model 3 LR, 18" wheels with aero hubcaps would go roughly 420 miles at that speed when new.

15. Buck Turgidson

Saw a tweet or something online showing that you have to take a tire off to replace a headlamp bulb (can only be accessed from the back)...this true? Hilarious if so.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sorry about that, I didn't read the article and based my comment on assumption. After reading the reality is even more hilarious than what I assumed. It is a CONCEPT car with no production plans and all the numbers you just gave are based on SIMULATION!

This is vaporware that doesn't and won't ever exist, very funny for therealist to think they have better batteries than the company with millions of cars on the road lol

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Try again... take your time.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Guess we are reading diff articles.
    They didn’t make a better battery. They made a more efficient car. And they drove it in the real world. Again I am not saying this is going to dethrone your fav company but there’s other things happening in the EV space.

“The company claims that this vehicle went a whopping 621 miles on a single charge, on regular streets, in regular traffic, more than enough to break the 1,000 kilometer barrier, which was the goal. At the end of the 1,000 kilometer trip, there was still another 140 kilometers, give or take, in the tank.”

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meet-the-twitter-army-of-elon-musk-superfans-11650137427

I wonder if someone here is in the elite few...

Elon Musk might have more than 82 million Twitter followers, but only a handful of those can consistently grab the billionaire’s attention and rally Tesla Inc.’s social-media army.

Among the few: a software developer in San Francisco previously banned from Twitter, a former design student in Germany who now works for Tesla, a psychologist in Dayton, Ohio, and an information-technology worker in India.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://electrek.co/2022/06/08/tesla-files-use-new-radar-confused/

Tesla hacker Green, who has followed Tesla’s test of new radar, has noted that the radar uses a frequency in line with Tesla’s previous front-facing radar, which would point to a similar use.

The move has some Tesla owners who bought Tesla’s Full Self-Driving worried that their vision-based system is now not going to be enough if Tesla decides to add new hardware.

Since 2016, Tesla has claimed that all its vehicles produced are equipped with all the hardware necessary to achieve self-driving capability in the future through software updates.

It turned out to be not true as Tesla needed to upgrade the onboard computer. Now they are also concerned about some of the older cameras inside the vehicles, and as we learn today, a new radar might be added to the list.

Welcome to beta testing...