1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What is the point of autopilot then? Cruise control reduces physical effort and maintains a consistent speed which is easier to do digitally. Taking away all control turns off the autopilot in your brain and inevitably leads to less attention being paid to the road. Autonomous is the future and IMO the way to finally reduce the alarming number of road fatalities but at this time I don't know what to think about a beta test phase.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Seems like you answered your own question. It's a work in progress. Tesla is constantly making software updates to their cars

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Probably less accidents with the auto pilot on than without - even with it being Beta.

DD

4. Bandwagoner

You missed my question which is the ethics of having a beta test phase with customers who are watching movies and sleeping.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't trust autopilot until it's universal and they all cross communicate. Autopilot and manual control aren't 100% fool proof, but I'd think that a driver would recognize a truck against the sky and would have better anticipation of other's bad driving errors as opposed to autopilot reacting to other's mistakes.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

That's what I'm thinking. This is the entire upshot of autonomous cars, they talk to each other instantly and avoid collisions.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I hate to be a debbie downer, but seeing how poorly these "Internet of Things" communicate with each other, I'm not too optimistic about true autopilot functionality

It will take federal oversight, and i'm not sure how the tech industry will like it

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It probably won't be long before they are safer than human drivers. One question is how MUCH safer do autonomous vehicles have to be to gain wide acceptance.

Only when they become a large percentage of the total will it help for autonomous vehicles to communicate with each other. That could be 20+ years.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Autonomous vehicles are already safer than human drivers.

It doesn't mean they are absolutely safe, and that's where people get mixed up. Technology will never be 100% safe and there will always be a chance of failure. The objective is to make that probability as small as possible.

People ask, "what's the point?" and I'm like, are you for real? Autopilot may not remove all driving responsibility from me, but it can make driving a LOT easier and safer. Just don't abuse it, just like it's irresponsible to drive your M5 at 130mph all the time just because it's capable.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I have Subaru eyesight and there's no ****ing way I'd trust it on its own.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Same. I have the 2nd generation which only has front collision avoidance, throttle warnings, automatic braking under 20mph, lane sway warnings, and adaptive cruise control. I'd never trust it to stop the car on its own even though it could and have seen it demonstrated by the salesman on a test drive.

The warnings are nice, albeit too nanny-like. I'm constantly warned when I'm approaching a stopped car too quickly even when I know I have time to brake - maybe it means I should brake earlier or cruise to a stop. Lane sway warnings always have false positives with linear shadows, tar lines, or regular lane lines but the lane is coned for a detour especially with all the construction around.

I'm glad I don't have the advanced 3rd generation that has the lane assist that automatically turns your steering wheel to stay in your lane. Unless they adjust those false positives I mentioned, I'd constantly fight it or turn it off. The features I did like for the 3rd gen were blind spot detection and rear cross traffic warnings for backing up, though.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I won't be buying a new car for probably another four years, at least.

I wonder if I'll be able to buy a model 3 without being on a wait list. It's probably what I'd prefer.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's fine, AutoPilot is 3x more advanced than what you have in your Subaru.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Unlikely.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tesla's goal for 2020 is 1 million vehicles/year, most being Model 3s. Your wait time would depend how close they are to that goal. Also, if you order the most common set of features, wait time will be less.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just read the driver was watching Harry Potter when the crash happened.

This is user error, not tech error.

DD

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sounds like something that will happen way too often

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

These concerns are why Google is only interested in full autonomy (known as Level 4). They have no interest in Level 2 or 3.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've never lived in an apartment complex myself, but know people that do, like my son. Just telling someone to get an extension cord is an answer way too broad for the everyday lives of those unfortunate enough to be in a complex without a close parking spot. Don't misunderstand me. I'm still considering getting a Model 3, perhaps in a couple of years, and I could easily set up a quick charging system in our garage. Not everyone can. As for the accident, I would never have completely trusted this system to keep me safe and would have driven much like I do with cruise control, something I use all the time, even at low speed. The fellow should have paid more attention.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My point was I'd never put my life in the hands of driver assist technology. No matter how advanced this guy is d e a d dead.