1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

They could also focus on international deliveries until they stock up on enough Model 3s for the US/ramp up their production enough, so it won't be a complete halt of sales.

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Nope, nothing. I called them and they said to give it another few days and call back if there is still no email. I better not get screwed out of my place in line.

[​IMG]

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Is CXbby actually Elon Musk himself?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No. If he was Musk I would have already been informed via email that I have a lifetime ban from owning a Tesla.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

You won't as long as your card was charged. Could they confirm you gave them the correct email address?

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I didn't get that far, as they said to call back in a few days bc 'the servers are swamped'. It's possible the rep took down my email address incorrectly since the card was charged. However, my buddy in line with me got his email 2 days ago.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

BTW when Elon Musk says the real steering system will feel like a spaceship - he would be one to know since he actually makes spaceships.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Correct.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

What are the chances most of us actually get the car in late 2017? Seems to be some skepticism that that date gets pushed back / delayed.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Still going strong. Loads of very good information.

One thing in particular: The cost of upgrading to dual motors will be < $5,000.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I still prefer NA engines with a manual transmission like a Cayman for fun but I can't deny that the model 3 is the future.

12. Bandwagoner

turbo and dual clutch FTW

embrace technology

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Slower than the Tesla.

DD

14. Bandwagoner

Tesla does 130 mph. The Cayman GT4 (naturally aspirated manual tranny fchowd mentioned) does 183.

So, not sure if serious.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Based on Tesla's history of delays? Based on how the economy affects car purchases? Based on the fact those tax breaks everyone expects to get won't be be available for most of those people who put down the $1k. Based on all kinds of things.

What? How the hell did you get that as an endorsement of Tesla? You're kind of messed up dude.

Hyping a cool factor for a $300 phone is one thing but it's something really different when it's a $35-50k car.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A tiny sliver of the future. EVs' market penetration will be slooooow, simply because the existing vehicle fleet hangs around for a long time...especially if oil is now cheap.

EVs to me are just an incremental, imperfect solution if your goal is really to impact GHG / "climate change" or global warming/cooling/wtf.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Quite a few people hating on Teslas in this thread but its okay. I've had my Model S for a few years now and am thinking about upgrading to the 90D sometime in the near future. Once you drive one of these cars....wow!!!!

Tesla's don't have to be for everyone. But I am personally excited about the changes they are bringing to the industry. Someone in this thread, maybe you, said it best. Most other car manufactures can only dream of pre-selling 200K plus cars...sight unseen!

The people that go through with the pre-orders will also find the ordering process very unique. Building your car to your exact specifications online and paying exactly what you know everyone else paid for it is quite amazing. I personally never found a car buying process at a dealership very fun.

Besides a $15 inspection once a year, I haven't had to pay for anything since owning the car. Quite different then all other cars I've previously owned. If people out there want to get a an IS Lexus or a 3 series BMW or something similar instead of getting the Model 3 then more power to them. Throwing some money down the drain, but whatever floats their boat.

As for it not being the fastest car, yeah that is no secret. But how often does one get to go 125 miles or above anyways lol? I love stopping at a red light and flooring the "gas" pedal and seeing everyone about a quarter mile behind me in a few seconds.

18. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Expected when most of the vehicles you're racing against are grocery getters. How about racing a car similar in price to yours?

An M2 can be had for about $50k and is pretty quick.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Oil wont be cheap forever. What will make or break EV's is charging stations. There is not enough money for petrol stations to add EV charge stations. MDU's and businesses will have to adopt some form of charging stations.

I have little concern about the impact EV's will have on climate change. It will have a big impact on air pollution.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well sure, if you are on the Salt flats, but on regular streets, where you stop start and corner, Tesla is faster.

DD