1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's no har har. A pre-order is a commitment to buy, not a no risk option to buy.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Correct. So what? The vast majority of people did not line up and wait for hours just to get a refund, especially when they did this sight unseen - and the product turned out better than most expected.

Preorder. Refundable deposit. Whatever.

It is an indication of demand.

"Har har" because what is the point you are trying to make? It doesn't change anything.

3. CometsWin

Well if words don't matter then by all means just call them sales.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why did GM kill the electric car when they had it twenty years ago?

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

They aren't. They will be.

What do you think the cancellation rates will be?

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your snark, and then defensiveness against other people that do anything less than stroke Musk's scroat is incredible.

You are on some kind of acid trip trying to make us think people camping out for the latest consumer product are saviors of our society.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

You know what, I take back what I said. You are flat out wrong - because preorders can be cancelled.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lol. You've been quiet for a few days. Welcome back to the party.

I don't think I've said anything about saving society/environmental issues. In fact, time and again I've said Teslas will never become mass market if that was their only calling card. Projecting that onto me shows clearly your insecurities and motivation.

Honestly, there's no point in arguing with people like you anymore. Maybe at one point I would've wanted to correct inaccuracies/lies that people like you spew in case you infect those who read it. That time has passed, because the ball is rolling now and it can't be stopped anymore.

So have a great day!

10. CometsWin

I have no idea but it's pretty safe to say a significant percentage of those "pre-orders" ie refundable deposits won't become actual orders. Whether it's 10% or 20% or 50% is really just going to depend on a lot of factors including the state of the economy, Tesla's execution in delivering their cars on time, and any competition that beats Tesla to market.

Unfortunately, Musk and his Tesla fans hype these products incredibly (very much like Apple fans have done for so long) so it's difficult to sift through and see what's real and what's just hyperbole.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's you against the world! Everyone is a hater!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CX is clearly a fan boy, probably motivated at first by the stock he bought, and is excited at the possibility of making money - but has been converted into a true believer, which I am also.

Musk is changing the world, and bucking all of the big ESTABLISHMENT companies that want to keep us on oil as long as possible - it takes a risk taker to change the world - Musk is doing that and the world will be better off.

DD

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. There certainly will be refunds. But "safe to say a significant percentage"? Based on exactly what?

2. Tesla has actually already been beaten to the market - by GM's Chevy Bolt which comes out end of this year. And the chirps are deafening. There are no compelling competition on the horizon, and there is a reason for it - which I explained somewhere in this thread.

3. I am glad you feel that way about Apple. That is a generous endorsement of Tesla. I'm not sure about Apple today, but in 2007 when the Iphone was introduced that was a watershed moment in the history of human communications*. Or Apple fanboi hype as you described. Which led to $700 billion worth of value creation over the next 8 years.

*Iphone was the first to allow the full internet experience on a mobile device - meaning internet for anyone, anywhere. Prior mobile connectivity was a gimped experience due to limits of a small screen and clunky user interface. There is a reason why every smart phone today has adopted the touchscreen platform. To view this as merely fanboi hype shows you donot understand why it even became the success that it is.

#313 CXbby, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

CX is a fan. Yes.

CX is an investor. Yes. Of course I would be in something I am such a big fan of.

As far as excited about making money, that's not what this is about. I am excited that "it's happening" as far as Tesla/Elon/EV goes.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its irrelevant what the $1000 is called. Its there to reserve your place in line. Any new car purchase can be cancelled after X amount of days.

I really dont like comparing Tesla to the iphone although there are many similarities. The first Iphone was nothing more than an Ipod with cellular technology added. Apple had years to perfect the hardware, and when technology allowed it, they implemented cellular to the ipod. It was revolutionary, but it was also inevitable. Now the Iphone is being surpassed as they have simply run out of ideas and banked on their previous bread and butter, music. Google, Samsung and Microsoft are taking it to new directions.

Tesla on the other hand, is not competing with a immediate inevitable market. Car manufactures have no incentive to revolutionize. Tesla does not have years of experience in making cars. They are building this from the ground up.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm excited about this car. Can't wait.

#316 sammy, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  17. Swishh

Swishh Member

So the email just gave basic confirmation. I assume at a later date we will know our "place" in line?

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

A tweet storm by Elon just now. (ongoing)

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/with_replies

A few huge comments that may confirm some of my prior speculation:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/RGspan">@RGspan</a> Our production ramp plan should enable large numbers of non X/S customers to receive the credit.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716704636896284673">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/RyanCasburn">@RyanCasburn</a> We always try to maximize customer happiness even if that means a revenue shortfall in a quarter. Loyalty begets loyalty.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716709914911989760">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

The second tweet regarding max customer happiness vs revenue shortfall. This was a response to someone who basically suggested they deliver up to 199,999 vehicles for the US, then halt deliveries and stock up on Model 3s for months - then open the flood gates and deliver as many as humanly possible over the next 3 months when the full tax credit is still eligible. This will result in a revenue shortfall during the months of paused deliveries, but customer happiness because many more will receive the tax credit.

This would be a very controversial(or ingenious) way to allow most if not all early reservations to get the credit. Now, Elon did not exactly say he will do this, but he did not shut down the suggestion - might have even encouraged it.

For the detractors in this thread, they are not going to be happy about Elon potentially taking advantage of the tax code like this. It would technically be playing by the rules, but getting to the gray area a bit. Again, he didn't say he will do this, but the possibility is brought up.

For the people that preordered in this thread and were wondering if they would get the tax credit - well, this would be a path for you to get it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/BValvsRacing">@BValvsRacing</a> It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716713294128500737">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

This is a response to the lack of instrument panel. If you noticed in the reveal, all the normal instrument panel is combined with the center UI. There is nothing in front of the steering wheel. This has caused some polarizing opinions the last couple of days.

I believe his comment above confirms my speculation over Part 2 of the Model 3 reveal - that Model 3s will come fully autonomous-capable. That is why there is no instrument panel for you to look at while driving - it is normally placed in front of the steering wheel so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road. This is not necessary anymore because your eyes now can go whereever it wants, since the car will drive itself.

While this is speculative, it fits well with what Elon deemed would "take things to the next level" at Part 2 of the reveal.

I won't go too deep into what fully autonomous capable would mean - road infrastructure, city planning, save lives from accidents etc. You guys can read up on that as there are many articles on it. I'll just mention one mind blowing application IF this is where we are headed.

IF the Model 3 is autonomous capable(or even eventually autonomous capable), that means you will be able to get in your car in the morning, watch the news while it drives you to work, drops you off - THEN? For the vast majority of a cars existence, it is idle in a parked position - useless and wasting away. For an autonomous car? After it drops you off, it will have to capability to act as an Uber driver and shuttle across town while you are at work - for a fee of course.

What does this mean? This means that an automobile goes from a huge depreciating asset the moment you purchase it, to a income generator that would pay for itself(and then some) over the course of its usable life.

This is the dream of the autonomous car. This is highly speculative. But I think the hints are adding up. Elon has stated that autonomous driving is coming in 2-5 years. Model 3 will be produced in 2 years. Model 3 has no instrument panel which would normally be very awkward. Elon says that will be explained in the Part 2 of the reveal - where it will take things to the "next level". Hm??

#318 CXbby, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/HBL_Cosmin">@HBL_Cosmin</a> Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716729420078133248">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

Okay now it sounds like the lack of instrument panel is due to "the real steering controls and system" that we have yet to see.

Everything I said about autonomous drive prior will eventually come. Whether it is from Part 2 of the reveal is my speculation, and I am not sure about that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/iKrivetko">@iKrivetko</a> that's not the real steering system</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716730641585340416">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

Exciting.

#319 CXbby, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I get the point, but they better stop well short of 199,999 in order to allow for sales of their other models :)

On another note, I still haven't received my email yet. Bout to call them up and ask dafuq.