1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

The car looks like I thought it would meaning it took styling queues from the S and looks like the S's baby brother.

Can someone expand more on the "autonomous" driving experience? I feel like that's misleading. To me that sounds like the car can go complete autopilot without any driver input.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

NVM Cxbby explained few posts up. :grin:

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think shortterm it could be an annoyance to current owners if they get clogged up, but long term it is going to be a positive. In the presentation they said they have plans to double and quadruple the total superchargers in the next couple of years.

But that still won't be enough.

Tesla will need to go into partnership with other companies to help build out the network, they can't do it all themselves. However no other companies are willing to invest in this because the demand for electric cars was a huge question mark.

That is why yesterday was a watershed moment for the car industry. Proof to everyone that Tesla has the kind of demand that traditional manufacturers can't even dream of. The mission statement of Tesla has always been to "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport". By showing this kind of demand they have done just that and will spur an industry shift towards electrification(already happening but now on another level). That is great news because that is what is needed to get the infrastructure built. Whether it is partnership with other companies or the government - this will now get done.

In fact I just received some sensitive new info from the boardroom of the German manufacturers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0qgET1Zhpb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. dragician

dragician Member

any info about the possible 7500 rebate?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I not sure if it will be available. I think CX said something about it potentially expiring plus if they sell 200k cars then Tesla will be above the threshold to qualify for the rebate I think. I'm not exactly sure how the rebate works though. Like I don't know if it is the first 200k cars sold by the company that can qualify for the rebate or if they sell 200k+ cars then none of the cars get the rebate or something silly.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

After 200k is sold in the US(not worldwide):

3 more months of full tax credit for any amount delivered during this time($7,500)

and then 6 more months of half tax credit for any amount delivered during this time($3,750)

and then 6 more months of quarter tax credit for any amount delivered during this time($1,875)

Then it expires. This does not include state incentives.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Model 3 orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w avg option mix prob $42k, so ~$7.5B in a day. Future of electric cars looking bright!</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715934657720639488">April 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So 180k in 24 hours is the final count. Watershed moment in transportation industry IMO.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Link.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Looks great. I'm not in the market but if I were considering a new car in the next couple of years, I'd definitely give it consideration.

My wife wants a small SUV (think: CRV-size). How much longer until Tesla pumps out one of those?

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

A small crossover is already in the plans as their next model and to be built on the Model 3 platform - it will be dubbed the Model Y.

Yes it is intentional - Models S-3-X-Y

Model "E" was copywritten by Ford and they barred Tesla from using it, so Tesla chose "3". However the Model 3 symbol is a stylized three horizontal lines which matches the "E" in Tesla's logo. In other words, Ford tried to kill sexy, but Tesla brought it back.

#250 CXbby, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  11. LonghornFan

The Model X SUV is available for a starting price of 80K.

[​IMG]

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

A few points:

1. The 500k 2020 production level is a long stated goal by Tesla from a few years ago.

IMO, after yesterday, there is NO WAY they stick to that.

Like I stated earlier, at this rate, by 2020 they will have multi million orders on their book. At a 500k production rate that would mean multi-year waiting list for any new buyer. That would be very negative for Tesla. No one, not even the most optimistic projections expected this level of demand.

IMO it is highly probable that they will raise a ton of money and expand to multiple factories in Europe and Asia to reach multi-million production capability by 2020. Forget the old 500k number.

2. I do not think the tax credit expiration will be a big deal. No doubt there will be some cancellations, but the vast majority of buyers are not even sure how the credit works or even know of its existence. Tesla has never advertised the Model 3 price including the tax incentive, it has always been $35k - which is without incentives. $35k is what buyers have in their heads, to get $7,500 back would be a bonus. And even with no incentives, with the car they showed they will have vastly more demand than they'll know what to do with.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nice. My wife might be looking to buy by then. Hopefully they take a few years!

Nice. What are the odds of a 50% off sale?

14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

This is awesome. This is a perfect endorsement opportunity for Carlos Gomez.

Thanks again CXbby for all the knowledge, I am sure you are enjoying your stock at the moment!

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Definitely going to need to rethink production planning...</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715955186175459332">April 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't like the front end. Feels like a face without a mouth.

17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I think its for aerodynamics. Also since it doesn't have an engine under the hood there's no need for the mouth like grill.

18. dragician

dragician Member

ya, llooks like this.

[​IMG]

but you can always put something there like the bmw grill, or past a rockets logo :).

19. LonghornFan

Now I'm wishing I would have pre-ordered. I want. No gas ever again, no more $500 oil changes, 8 year warranty on batteries... :(

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Likely licence plate.