1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever (successfully...) disputed a red light camera ticket?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My wife got 3 tickets in a week for not coming to a complete stop while turning right at a red light at 1960 and Townsen. I think the tickets are bogus since it's legal to turn right on red. She got them because apparently she didn't come to a complete stop.

Who comes to a complete stop in the right turn lane when there's not a car in sight? She slowed down to below 5mph before she turned. Just didn't come to a complete stop according to the timer on the camera.

Anyone ever beat one of these tickets? Or are we screwed? I'm scared to check the mail for fear of finding another one from that same intersection. She's since starting taking another way home, but these tickets are from a month ago.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

...In before swoly reads you the riot act.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

just dont pay it

4. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

I do not see where you have an argument. She broke the law, on film. You might could talk the judge down to 1 ticket.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

^^^That.

Not coming to a stop is breaking the law. You have to come to a complete stop before proceeding to turn right on red.

Not sure how you'll fight that one, maybe the judge will show some mercy in the 3 tix.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Maybe instead of taking a different way home, she should learn not to repeatedly break the law, especially at an intersection with a camera. You really have no grounds to dispute the ticket, as far as I can tell. No matter how you try to excuse it by saying she slowed down, the law requires that you stop at a red light before turning right.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I've gotten a ticket for a rolling stop before. It sucks, because everyone does it...but the law's the law.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^^^ :grin: Yes.
    Yeap. She's guilty sir. I'm glad you admit it. Pay the fine. Next time, come to a complete stop. :eek:

You can't argue the proof.

Why would he do that? :confused:

Would that be fair? I don't think so. A repeat offender gets "mercy"? :eek:

That's just 'cuz I was late in to work this morning. ;)

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i ate 3 camera tickets at the same exact location (w bellfort & 59)

paid it all

needless to say, i no longer frequent that intersection

11. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

You should put your post in a letter and send it instead of payment.

Or, tell the wife to come to a complete stop at a red light, as it is the law.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah sorry, ima, but 'nobody does that!' really isn't grounds for a dispute.

Stopping before turning right on red is pretty standard.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

They see me rollin, they hatin...

14. updawg

updawg Member

I got one while visiting Houston a few years ago. Ended up paying it.
    I can understand giving tickets for running a light but rolling a stop on a right turn is a joke. I was pissed when I watched the video that that is what they consider running a red light. Money grab.

You probably need to get a lawyer that can plea it down. I'd wait until they all come in first. I couldn't imagine living next to an area that had that going on

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm with the other posters. I can see your frustration, but it is what it is and you'll probably end up paying for at least one of the tickets. You may, however, be able to talk your way down to paying only one of them.

That being said, I really hope that we don't have to deal with red light cameras for much longer.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Ignore them. They are unenforceable. The ticket likes to pretend it can prevent you from registering your vehicle, but it's simply not true per Ed Emmet.

It's a racket preying on people's ignorance of the complex bureaucracy in city/state dealings. Ignore them.

#16 rhadamanthus, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  17. updawg

updawg Member

Oh yeah, my bro in law whose house we were visiting when I got mine is an attorney and he said some of the tickets have wording that allows them to get tossed on a technicality or something. I never pursued it but maybe a traffic lawyer can help you

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

From Wiki...

almost??

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't do it. My wife doesn't do it. I have almost been hit a number of times while running because a car rolls through or bumps stop through a stop sign or red light. Not only is it the law, it is also a good idea to come to a full and complete stop.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't do it either. I get pissed off at motorists who "slow down" instead. I honk at their a$$e$.
    The State of Texas Department of Public Safety's "Texas Drivers Handbook" (which is the one that matters in this situation and I hope the state where Mrs. ima got the ticket) says:[rquoter]Stop before entering the crosswalk or intersection. You may turn right unless prohibited by law. You may also turn left if both streets are one way unless prohibited by law. You must yield to all pedestrians and other traffic lawfully using the intersection.[/rquoter]"STOP"... it doesn't say "slow down." :eek:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/DL-7.pdf - page 28.

Like SeƱor Vamos Los Astros bobrek says, it's a good idea, because it gives you plenty of time to check the left side's traffic and pedestrians on the right. :eek: