1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else using a VPN to watch NBA league pass?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Oct 19, 2022.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I'm in west Texas and the rockets are blacked out. I thought I could go the route of using a VPN to cover my IP address and be able to bypass the restrictions on NBA league pass.

Had anyone here ever tried it and did it work?

IBTL likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do you still make brownies?

3. emoreland

Yes sir! I actually have a Foodtruck where we make all kinds of old-fashioned desserts! Ha, I think it's cool that you remember that. I'm under TexasFudge on Facebook and IG if you wanna see what we've been up to!

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Worked the prior 2 years, but having issues this year.

I used to watch the game the next day. I would download it on the app and then watch it. However, now using a VPN isn't good enough, because the app wants your device information. So it will know where you really are, VPN or not.

The other, and more common, option is to just stream the game either live or after the fact. This still works for me, but it is grainy as hell. I can barely make out who the players are. Maybe I have a slow VPN, who knows. But I went ahead and started a Fubo subscription again because of my LP issues.

emoreland likes this.
  5. emoreland

thank you for the info, man. Really helpful for sure. Can you watch the game using fubo?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah you can - or at least I can, in Houston. If you're blacked out on LP then I would assume you could do it too.

You can see their channel list for your zip code on their website. I would recommend checking that out. In general though, Fubo kinda sucks. It's expensive and comes with a ton of channels I'll never look at, and doesn't have any of the Turner networks (so games on TNT can't be watched). I doubt I'll keep it all season but I'll use it for now since I'm hyped for the start of the year.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can't answer your VPN question, but ... that fudge was gooooood... lol.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. emoreland

Hey thank you so much! I credit Clutchfans for the support and encouragement to pursue a passion to make fudge and other homemade desserts. I now have a Foodtruck that I make everything out of and you can fund me under TexasFudge on Facebook.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

JumpMan and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I am using league pass through my youtube tv account. My youtube TV is set up with the location as Seattle so I don't have to worry about any NBA games being blacked out.

Last year I had a VPN and league pass, but I just went ahead and streamed them from one of the many places on the internet that streams NBA games.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Do you ship at all? I forget.

emoreland likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

To answer your actual question though, I think streams would be the only way outside of VPN. Never tried VPN though.

Weak streams is decent.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What’s happening is the video player is checking whether you’re using a VPN, but the rest of the nba site is not.

I’ve been able to get around this. It’s easier on a desktop to try this test, but it works on my IPad as well. I find Chrome is better for this test than Safari.

1. Log out of nba.com
    2. Go to privacy settings in Chrome, and delete all cookies for nba.com
    3. Turn on your VPN
    4. Log back into nba.com with the VPN on
    5. Go to the rockets game and try to watch. It will show an error message
    6. Turn off VPN and try again. Now it works

the key is they store location cookies when logging in. So clear cookies, then login with vpn, then watch game.

it’s possible they are setting location cookiesin multiple places on the website, so I do not turn off the vpn until I’ve got the game page up with streaming options.

fwiw: MLB is doing the same thing.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nice, I will give this a try.

emoreland likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is it, I didn't post yesterday, but as far as I know this still works. Alternate option is using Chrome in incognito with VPN already connected to store fresh session data.

emoreland and heypartner like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

sport surge dot net

JumpMan and xcrunner51 like this.
  17. VanityHalfBlack

I have xfinity Fi, it comes with vpn.

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone know the best way to stream on an Apple TV (or a smart tv)? I can stream the free stuff from my iPad but I want the bigger picture and it always blocks screen sharing when streaming that way.
    It sounds like a VPN app and league pass app won’t work because I can’t do the heypee work around. Fubo just seems too expensive.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FYI Fubo blacks out Rockets games, but not the Astros, on ATT&T Sportsnet in Austin. The NBA must consider Austin as part of the Rockets' territory which is strange considering how close the Spurs are.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would use a VPN to watch the Rockets too. Because I'd be embarrassed to be watching the Rockets.