1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else use their iPhone as an alarm clock?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Nov 1, 2010.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

My iPhone alarm went off an hour earlier than expected this morning.

I had no idea why, I even Google'd daylight savings time from my phone just to make sure it didn't start last night.

Just saw this on CNN this morning...
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/11/01/iphone.alarm.europe/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Late to work this morning?

Forget those excuses about traffic jams and Halloween hangovers. You might be able to blame your iPhone.

Reports from Europe suggest a bug in the iPhone's alarm app caused it not to adjust to daylight savings time in that part of the world. Consequently, people in Europe were tweeting like crazy about waking up an hour late because of the apparent bug.

"A whole hour of peace and quiet in the office this morning without any iPhone users courtesy of Apple," wrote a Twitter user named jamiei..

A user named garrettc wrote: "Daddy, do you remember where you were during the great iphone alarm calamity of 2010?" "No son, I was asleep"

Daylight Savings Time went into effect on Sunday in Europe, causing clocks to reset to an hour earlier. Reports suggest recurring iPhone alarms did not adjust to the new time. The time change does not go into effect until November 7 in the United States and no alarm-clock problems have been reported here.

Earlier in October, websites in Australia reported an iPhone software bug caused alarms to go off an hour earlier than expected.

The blog Engadget writes about a way to trick your alarm into going off at the correct time:

"Deleting and re-adding the alarms will NOT fix the issue. We've now tested a number of scenarios under iOS 4.1 for ourselves. The bug appears when using a repeating alarm for anything other than 'every day.' So for example, your alarm will go off an hour late if it's set for 'weekdays' or 'weekends' or every 'Monday.' The following alarms are not affected by the bug:

"An alarm that doesn't repeat (repeat set to 'never')

An alarm set to repeat 'every day'"

The blog TheNextWeb says Apple should announce a software fix:

"We imagine Apple engineers will be working overtime to get this fixed before daylight saving time hits the USA next weekend."

Apple did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.

The glitch highlights what appears to be a trend of people using their phones to wake themselves up in the morning -- instead of using traditional alarm clocks.

That may not come as a surprise since people seem to use their phones to do almost everything these days -- from browsing the Web to planning pregnancy.

Coincidentally, the tech blog Mashable on Sunday posted a list of five of the best (non-Apple) alarm clock apps for the iPhone.

If you're in the U.S., it might be smart to visit that page before Sunday.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Haha. Awesome.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

+1 to those tweets. Some of them were pretty damn funny.

I use my blackberry, that failed me last friday. It had the hourglass timer thing (shows that it's working on something)....but was doing nothing.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I use mine as an alarm clock and it went off as expected this morning. I have NOT updated to the most recent OS either.

5. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I use mine as an alarm clock and sadly it went off at 5am as planned this morning.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Arkansas is not in Europe.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm in Chicago and it went off an hour earlier than expected, rather than an hour later.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Chicago isn't in Europe either.

Yeah, I know that misses the point, but just staying consistent.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do when I travel, it works great.

DD

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I use my blackberry as an alarm clock, and I want to say about 90% of the time, I wake up just seconds before the alarm goes off... I stare at it until it does...

Does that happen to anyone else?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Every day. My alarm is set to go off at 5:44 am. I wake up at around 5:40 am every day...even on weekends.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I use my blackberry as my primary and my iPhone as my backup. Doesn't matter though because I have today off ;)

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I also wake up before the alarm every morning. Unfortunately, it's more like 10 minutes early than 10 seconds.

14. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

current firmware 4.1 and alarm went off normally weird isnt it? mines is jailbroken so i dont know if that helps.

15. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Jean-Claude?

Why separate knob!?

16. trustme

trustme Member

I always "tap to snooze" my iPhone rather than "Slide to turn off" in the mornings just cuz it's easier to tap than to slide. I do this about 3 or 4 times so I actually wake up about 30 mins later than intended.

Sometimes when the alarm goes off, I grab the phone and randomly tap the screen (with my eyes closed) until the alarm snoozes.

17. duwende

duwende Member

Oh thank goodness I wasn't the only one. I was on-call Saturday night and I set my alarm for 430am, but woke me up at 330 instead. I thought it was really odd and it did the same thing to me this morning. An extra hour of sleep is important!

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

tapping the lock button also snoozes the alarm. It's much easier than randomly tapping the screen like you have been doing lol.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

hahaha doofus...you should just tap the lock button

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

After either incorrectly setting or forgetting altogether to set either an alarm on my phone or my traditional alarm clock one too many times, I now sleep through the multiple alarms I set on both.

Not trusting the iPhone to go off (either due to a software glitch or the battery dying overnight) makes it worthwhile to me to set the traditional alarm.