1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else shocked at how good Ariza has gotten?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This team is better than last year.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

We are all very glad you know this beforehand. Saves me time from having to watch the games! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, I for one don't want to waste time watching an 82 game season as long as Marty McFly is hanging around on Clutchfans.

4. NotChandlerParsons

I was looking at his stats today and realized that two seasons ago he was coming off the bench for Martell Webster. Get this, he was actually the third best shooter (by TS%) on that team with a field goal percentage of 41 percent. He definitely made a maturity leap late in his career that most players don't.

5. NotChandlerParsons

He can catch and shoot or post up...but from what I've seen this doesn't actually result in the ball going through the hoop.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ariza just has to stick to the Two Dribble Policy, under which he gets fined $2000 per dribble every time he takes more than two dribbles during a possession.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Not shocked. This is exactly what I expected. Feel free to look up my posts from the summer.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Chandler got lazy and easily offended. You could tell

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

All I've got to say is:

Beverley | Harden | Ariza | Howard

That's a STRONG cast to be on the court at the same time. Period. I don't care what anyone else says.

10. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

I think these are good point and the debate between parsons vs Ariza is very similar to that of a Parsons vs Batum. I think the aspect that made Parsons the clear winner in the battle of who is the better player between parsons and batum is parson's ability to make plays, whether it be his own driving ability to the basket or his slash and dish ability. however, as usual, pundits may say the likes of ariza and batum may arguably be the better fit because they play more within their roles and are arguably better fit alongside superstars.

I see the following major:

CON:
    1) Playmaking in halfcourt: In a stressful playoff battle when Dwight was frozen or taken out by a marc gasol, and harden is harassed by a tony allen or PJ tucker type defender. This is when we will missing parson's playmaking and slashing ability the most. Papa is only going to help in the right matchup where we go smallball.

2)Off the dribble 3

PROS:
    1) Defense: Ariza is a better team defender than an individual lockdown defender. I think the board is overrating his defense a little bit, especially as a lockdown type player. Still, this is an obvious improvement.

2) Spot up 3

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The rule is 4 dribbles, and it's known as the JJ Reddick rule.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Truth

Starting line-up intact except adding veteran Ariza.

Harden+Howard have a full year of experience together.

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Just like James Harden #13 FB post - "NO PARSONS, NO PROBLEM #pursuit"

Says it all!

14. Lovemachine2000

Why do no-name wing players always have career games against the Rockets? The glorious defender that is James Harden.

15. ForTheHorde

ForTheHorde Rookie

I'm not. He had some really high caliber play for the lakers in his limited minutes. Just needed to be in the right role.

16. bongman

bongman Member

17. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I wouldn't be suprised if he gets All Star recognition this season playing with this squad (Great Expectations) however the Rox will be at the very least - Sensational - if Ariza can play like he did with the Wizards and Da Lakes Show...
    Not many professional sports players get a second opportunity to make things Whole with a team, its' city, and most importantly its' fans. Hopefully this season will be a mixture of the Right Circumstances and Timing for him to be part of a Feel Good year with the Rox and another Positive Chapter in his career and life :cool:

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did miss the pouting when he was here the first time.

He swung with his elbow and I think it was a minor incident.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He argued with Aaron Brooks during games about who should take shots.

He swung at DeRozan when we played Toronto and was expelled from the game IIRC.

The starting line-up only settled down when we traded for Kevin Martin and Ariza could play with a legit #1 option.

Before that, it was like pulling teeth. We went with 3 defensive guys on the starters--Hayes, Scola, Battier, Ariza (as the 2), and Brooks.

Look how far we've gone.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No. He's a vet now. We aren't expecting him to do the things he can't do. Just excel in the things he can do. All we really need is a pf to compliment and our starting 5 will be set. Hopefully we get bench that can carry their own weight now.