1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else excited for the Astros? (Version 4.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by roxxfan, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If we put ourselves in Luhnow's shoes, we know that Correa was about to make the jump to AA last season, but the injury prevented that.

Had he proceeded to dominate AA last season, I'd say there would have been a good chance at him being on the team early in the season... after a brief AAA stint that bought us the extra year.

Now, the time-table should be pushed back by that half-season... so it very well could be enticing to see him after the super-2 deadline this year.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Luhnow is on record saying that "special" players will not be held back by anything, and Correa is just about the "special-ist" player in baseball. I'm hopeful.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As much as I'd want Correa at the big league level this season, I just dont see that happening...especially if the Astros are anywhere near playoff contention.

He's just now starting in AA. Assuming he's tearing it up a couple months down the line, he'll move up to AAA. I just dont see how he can plow through AAA and move up to the majors within half a season.

I think the more likely scenario is that he starts at AAA in 2016 and then gets called up at some point during that season.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who says he has to go to AAA?

The special ones get promoted.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The special ones get promoted...yet, Springer was kept around the minors for a year longer than necessary.

Luhnow can prove me wrong, but until then, I'll stick to the opinion that Correa will pass through AAA on his way to the bigs. I'd love to be wrong.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Springer developed at a time where the MLB team was purposely attempting to be as bad as possible... and yes, it was a joke that he was in the minors as long as he was. But there is the fact that Correa is 3 years younger than Springer was in making his AA debut, which does make him even more "special".

The team should no longer be a "joke", and part of that is promoting a player who not only is "ready" but also can fill a need on the big league club.

Also, expecting Luhnow to do the exact same development plan for every player, regardless of their talents/faults, would be very "un-analytical" of them.

7. Buck Turgidson

Springer was a very good prospect, Correa is on another level. He's MLB ready defensively right now and he doesn't have the contact issues Springer does.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We are also a team now that is at least making an attempt to compete, Springer was in the minors of a team trying to get the top pick so there was almost no reason to bring him up

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If you take Carter and Gattis out of the stats, our team BA is a halfway decent .241.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm honestly a lot more excited that Marisnick,Rasmus, and Castro are primed for good seasons than I am concerned that Carter, Gattis and Springer are in line for bad.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've been loving the OF defense so far. Oddly, the Astros pitchers are dead last in giving up fly balls.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Also keep in mind: Springer wasn't Luhnow's guy; Correa is. While I don't think that necessarily held Springer back (talent is talent, after all), it could accelerate Correa's ascension. He'd be Luhnow's first next-generation piece of the nucleus.