1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone been in real good shape, then real bad shape, and back to good?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, May 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to be very active, and was on a perfromance dance team, and a dance instructor and was in very good shape. Then my career focus shifted, I moved, and staying in excellent shape was no longer part of my job.

I hadn't played basketball in forever, and just went to play today. I was sucking hard... both at air and at basketball. I managed to stay and play for 1 1/2 hours, but I was really huffing and puffing when I was done. I realize I'm in my 30's now, and maybe age plays a part too. I'm not fat, but not as firm as I used to be.

I don't have too much time to devote to getting back in shape now, but I want to do as much as I can, and when I free up some time devote a lot to getting back in shape.

Anyone have any ideas? I will play just about any sport, and will run a little, but serious jogging is out, because it's just too boring. I could probably run with a basketball or something to help somewhat. Anyway, HELP!

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

mayn, im very athletic kid so, i would say, basketball.. coz this sport is really all around, all of your body is moving, your muscles are toned while your having fun.. and i think the reason why your huffing and puffing after you game is because your body wasnt used to running up and down the court like it used to be. just take it slow. i mean, i got a friend who's like in his middle 50's but he still plays bball with us (most of us are 18). eventhough we always dont do running plays when we play with him, at least he gives us a challenge. try to take it step by step. dont take it all at once. like one game, you play for like 30 minutes or something,, then rest for a while or call it a day.. then next, go for 45 minutes to an hour or so and you can build it up from there... take it one step at a time man.. you can still play!!!

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Man, I dropped 80 pounds after high school and got down to a nice 170 with a six pack and everything. Then last year, knee surgery, laying on my ass for a month, depression, and becoming the laziest slob on the planet all contributed to me putting 50 back on. Now none of my clothes fit anymore :(

I'll tell ya if I ever get back to good.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Me...I fluctuate(sp?) big-time since I intensely workout for a time to the point of getting 2 sizes smaller or so, then a period of time comes where I get lazy (like now...) and eat more and then I'm right back where I started...It's a cycle of a shape battle involving good vs. bad...I guess I'm here just to balance the two forces.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Who cares. At least you can still "score".

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Graduated HS last year was about 190 or so now Im about 225. Im trying to eat better, I try to run two miles a day, and I usually play ball for a hour and a half or so each day. I cant afford to gain another 35 pounds. The last year Ive pretty lazy, luckily Im tall so when I put on weight nobody really seems to notice. The best thing to do is to jog but since thats not a option maybe play some soccer. Nothing but running and its a sport maybe that wouldnt be a bad idea

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Haha. Amazingly I get more action in my current ****** state then I did when I was in shape. :confused:

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the main problem is finding time. I can usually do some activity on the weekends, but during the week it's hard. I guess without time to devote there isn't too much I could do, arrgggg. I will try and get a little something in during the weekdays as well.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I played goalie today after exactly 16 years away from the game. Now I'm a tall plodding goalie that had mud all over myself. I only gave up one goal all year when I was 16. I gave up three today. but we won 6-3 :). I'm the goalie next Sunday too. I'll let you know if any of the skills ever come back to me. But I doubt it.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Weight lift and the pounds will go away much easier. Then try and do some cardio for atleast 60 minutes a day. The number one thing I say to try to avoid if your really trying to lose weight is avoid the sodas or atleast switch to diet sodas. Those things will put weight on you so fast. Beer as well.

11. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I was in the best shape of my life in high school, where I was about 180-185 lbs throughout. Went off to college, got up as high as 215.

I have been living in the Seychelles islands for the past four months, and between the training with my local bball team, and all the fish and rice I eat (no fast food, no junky snack foods), I am down to 177, the leanest I have been since freshman year.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, I'm currently in the "bad shape" mode right now. I was a toothpick basically my whole life, but my metabolism has slowed to a snail's pace and I've gained about 10 pounds since I got married...

and I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie right now!

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Ever seen those weight loss ads?

You can go from FAT to Flat in just XX amount of days.

They way they do it is they get someone who used to be in great shape but got injured... Let them flab up (take BEFORE picture here) and then when they are able to work out again, they return to their normal routine and shed the weight. (Take AFTER picture here.)

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This is the truth: TorsoTrack is the key!! That thing works your stomach like no other. I only did about 300-400 a day....and had a pretty solid 6-pack in 2 weeks.

Cod

15. Fatty FatBastard

I'll tell you this....

I was around 190 in 1996. I blew up to nearly 240 in 1999. Then I went back to 195 in April-2000. And I've been around there ever since.

It's called "don't eat so damn much."

As far as exercise, I don't have a regimen by any means. BUT, whenever I can do something active, I try to.

Oh, and I smoke. (trying to quit, though.) But I'm quite sure this keeps me from eating.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have a solid 6-pack 3 or 4 times a week and I still have a beer belly! What am I doing wrong??

Seriously, I got up to 265 after college. Now I'm back around 215. I did the high protien low carb thing to lose it, and now I just eat sensibly and drink lots of water.