1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone a Barbecue expert?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Sep 25, 2000.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Someone want to give me any hints as to how to grill and marinate some sirloins and filet mignons?

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads & Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN!

REDSKINS SUCK!!!!!!!!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't do anything to good meat. just broil it fast.

marinates are for bad pieces of meet like brisket and flank.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Broil it? But I wanted to grill my steaks [​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads & Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN!

REDSKINS SUCK!!!!!!!!

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

Do you want to barbecue, or just grill steaks? This is Texas, and there's a difference. Barbecue is a major food group, and "filet mignon" ain't in the vocabulary. [​IMG]

A cool site called "Top Secret Recipes" has recipes from, or close to, those of major restaurants -- From Arby Sauce to Outback Steakhouse's Wallaby Darned.
    Here's the recipe from TJIFriday's Jack Daniel's Grill Glaze: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/jdgrill.htm
    And K-C Masterpiece sauce: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes/kcmaster.htm

A1-Steaksauce has recipes for cooking with their sauce -- but the site also has a grilling guide: http://www.nabiscorecipes.com/branded/a1/a1_grilltips.html

Beef.org has recipes from their 1999 cook-off contest: http://www.beef.org/kitchen/recipes/

Home and Family has a grill cookbook on line: http://www.homenfamily.com/cookbook/grill/beef/beef.html

Have fun!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If you are just grilling steaks, season them with your favorite stuff (garlic powder, black pepper, lemon pepper or whatever) and grill them, but put some wet mesquite wood on the fire.

if you want to barbecue, let us know. Like DC Sports said, it's a whole different ballgame!

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Great London Broil recipe--can also be used for sirloin. As HP said, don't marinate a filet; you can season it, but it doesn't need to sit in marinade.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 heaping tablespoon of freshly minced garlic (about 5 good size cloves) If you are using the stuff that comes in a jar; use two heaping tablespoons--it's not as strong.
    1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses (this is the hard part as this stuff isn't the easiest thing to find. your best bet is a big Randall's or Kroger--it MUST be BLACKSTRAP molasses!

--mix it all together, put it in a 1 gallon zip lock with your meat, and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

This is a badass marinade, and it will do wonders with a london broil or sirloin.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Marinade? Try a bottle of Italian Dressing, and a small bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce mixed together. Let the meat marinade for about 3 hours.

MMMM MMMM!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If you undercook, you run the risk of Salmonella. If you overcook, you run the risk of cancer. So, for Heaven's sake, be careful [​IMG]. Personally, I go to the grocery store and buy some of that Montreal Steak seasoning. Sprinkle that on both sides.

That **** rocks. Surf

------------------

9. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

OK, keep it simple.

What I do is stab the steaks with a knife a few times and then slice some fresh garlic into thin slices. Then cram these slices into the holes that you creted with the knife. Add some worschesire (sp!) sauce and then coat both sides with Montreal Steak seasoning. Surfguy is right, that stuff rocks.

Then put some mesquite chips in some foil, poke holes in the foil and put it directly on top of the coals. Add the meat, close the lid and let smoke for a while. Try to resist taking the lid off too soon as you will ose all of your smoke.

Happy grilling.

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

[This message has been edited by SpaceCity (edited September 25, 2000).]

10. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

1. Surf is right... That stuff rocks!!!

2. Italian dressing ain't just for salads. You can use it as a base for a good marinade.

Happy grilling.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

www.GotstaGetsPaid.com

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

If you undercook, you run the risk of Salmonella. If you overcook, you run the risk of cancer. So, for Heaven's sake, be careful.

You can only get salmonella from chicken, not beef. Salmonella gives you a severe case of the runs for a week or so. I had a mild strain of it once when I used to work in a chicken plant.

E.Coli, which is far more deadly than salmonella, is the bacteria in beef that you should be worried about. E.Coli normally only resides on the outside of the steak, so it's fairly safe to eat a medium or rare steak so long as the outside is well-cooked.

However, you should <u>never, EVER</u> eat a rare burger, under any circumstances. With ground beef, all the meat (inside and outside) is ground up together, so E.Coli can exist all the way though. For heaven's sake, make sure your burgers are well-cooked.

My mom is a food technician, plus I used to work in the food production industry. That's why I know all this stuff.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

12. Gascon

Gascon Member

LOL [​IMG]

Man, if you want tips on how to BBQ, make sure you go to a Texas based web-site! [​IMG]

You guys rock.

Gascon

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I didn't realize this was Rockets03's thread [​IMG]. He's kind of mad at me right now and I'm kind of mad at him so... [​IMG]. Maybe, one day, there will be peace among us.

fadeaway, my bad. I meant e-coli....for some reason, Salmonella came to mind. But, I guess you have heard about cooking your meat too long on a hot grill and getting it crispy. Apparently, this causes some carcinogens which cause cancer. I was flabbergasted at the report of this as I like my burgers well done and my steak with some burnt crust. I had to give up grilling [​IMG].

Surf

------------------

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Have you tried calling Thomas Hamilton ??

------------------
    "Well, I don't know what I received my honorary degree in, but judging by the fine sisters in the crowd, I hope it is gynecology." Mike Tyson speaks to the crowd after receiving his honorary degree from a college in Ohio.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

In college, I could make some pretty good steaks on my George Foreman's Lean, Mean, Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine. (I know, I know but hey, I didn't exactly have a BBQ pit in the dorm, so I had to improvise. Leave me alone).

Speaking of improvising, I did that with my marinades as well. After poking some holes, I used Tobasco, Worchesteshire(sp?), and Cavender's Greek Seasoning for about an hour. Then I'd slather some Woody's Cookin' Sauce and slap it on the grill. Of course, it doesn't beat a real grill (I have used it on a real grill, BTW), but the marinade is still pretty damn good.

Here is one from MAXIM Magazine that I'm itching to try:
    Poke a 10oz steak with a fork a few times. Marinate overnight with 1.5oz of vodka, slap your favorite BBQ sauce on it and throw it on the grill.
    Like I said, I haven't tried this one yet. I want to, though. In fact, steak sounds awfully good for tomorrow night.....

------------------
    I need a new signature.

17. dc sports

dc sports Member

I'm also a fan of cracked pepercorns. They are especially good with the filet.

I'm with Lynus302. What time should we come over? [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

R03:

This is the ultimate barbeque site on the net:
    http://barbecuen.com/

Anything and everything that you need to know about barbequeing (and dcsports is right, there is a difference between barbeque and grilling) is on this website.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

People have told me about it, but I've never been able to find it. [​IMG]

------------------
    I got nothin'.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Geez, fadeaway great way to ruin a perfectly good thread. [​IMG]