1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody remember Kes from Star Trek : Voyager?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 15, 2015.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Kes was pretty pointless, I think they just wanted to go in a different direction. She was not an interesting character and did not really have a role on the ship.

If they were gonna ditch someone for Seven, it had to be her. Or Harry Kim I guess but there were already a lot of women in the cast

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, using available new data, maybe it was backstage issues. Like bat**** crazy issues?

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

You must spread reputation around... etc.

I LOL'd.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

She wasn't killed off the show - her story is that she left Voyager to live with other Okampans they found so that she could learn to control her empathic abilities.

My understanding of the series is that the Production company didn't have enough money to keep the entire cast and add 7of9 so that had to get rid of either Kes or Harry Kim. Harry's character was growing, but Kes remained stagnant, so they created the growing empathic abilities storyline to move her off the show.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't like much of the cast.

Harry was just as useless.

Tom was annoying as hell.

Neelix was like a pet dog.

Chokatay was forgettable.

Doctor and Seven had some good stories. Janeway and Torres were okay but not crucial.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I liked the Doctor, Seven, Chokatay and Janeway. The rest were useless to me.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I really only liked the Doctor and Seven. The Doctor was hilarious and Seven was just a very well developed character (Jeri Ryan played her very well).

I thought the relationship between the two was developed really well also and was very authentic... was sort of bummed at what happened between the two at the end though.

Out of all the Star Trek series, I would have to say the Doctor and Seven are the two very best characters. Picard, Riker are 3rd / 4th.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

On a show with Neelix, the ship's tour guide and cook, they really chose to get rid of someone else? Especially since once you've removed Kes, I don't know what Neelix's purpose would be. I couldn't stand that clown. Like a cat crossed with a lizard crossed with a shark.

Seven and possibly Janeway were the only ones I liked. But then I love me some Borg episodes on Star Trek.

Kes' voice was awesome but also comical in that she couldn't hit high notes while screaming. :grin:

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

7 of 9 and the Doctor were the only things good in the Voyager Series
    Everything else was annoying and boring
    Which in the last seasons . . is why out of a 22 episode season about 18 of them were about 7 of nine and the Doctor

Rocket River

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lol that's a great description of Neelix.
    He single handedly made the show unbearable.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Watch the bluray TNG. Much better experience and a real reason to rewatch.

13. Invisible Fan

I thought it would be a great running gag where the ship is about to run out of power and Neelix would be the first one on the list to get shoved out the airlock. Or the crew goes into survivor mode and they start seeing him as a talking rump roast.

Hated Paris the most. They tried to make him hip and "21st century" edgy early on and it totally backfired. I guess it was better than Harry or Tuvok, the token Vulcan, who didn't have much personality outside their roles.

14. PeppermintCandy

I thought the show lost its way after the seven character was introduced. After that the majority of the episodes were about her struggle with her humanity. It seemed they really gave up on developing any of the characters outside of seven, the doctor, and janeway on a meaningful level.

The early seasons had their flaws, but at least they were trying something new.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I agree. Seems like lot of folks like 7 of 9. I don't. Way too much focus on her becoming human. I much have rather they let her be, partially human and partially machine and uses her knowledge and technology to make a better ship. Heck, it would be great if they had faced an enemy they had no chance of defeating and with no help coming, they had not choice, but to all become partial machine to survive. A new generation of better than 7 of 9 species taking over the quadrant, and eventually coming back to earth to better the human there and ended up in a big fight with TNG crews. Of course the TNG win.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Pretty much The Borg

17. Invisible Fan

I didn't like the early seasons. It was Giligan's Island in space where they tease audiences with a way to get back until the last minute. Also didn't think the Kazon arcs really explored the morality plays TNG and DS9 did so well.

18. PeppermintCandy

Yeah but there were some pretty awful moments in the early seasons of TNG and DS9 as well. It seems each series needed a few years to get their bearings before hitting their narrative stride. But I don't think the Voyager series was given the same opportunity as the others.

I still enjoyed the series because I'm such a nerd, but the relentless focus on the human borg, borg children, and the doctor elements was a cop-out IMO.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

:) I wasn't thinking that. They are individual with enhanced mental and physical ability. Closer to a bunch of individual Data.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

The entire second season of TNG is particularly unwatchable.