1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have trouble getting into the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SamFisher, Jul 14, 2004.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You are an idoit.

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They aren't.

They aren't terrible or even bad really, but they aren't good movies, either. They're typical chinese food movies like a lot of what comes out these days (and really, in any day. The budgets and the hype are simply bigger these days).

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You're right. I'm the freakin' idiot. For some reason I thought you were talking about the original trilogy. :eek:

It's not the effects that make the prequels bad, it's mostly the characters and some of the story, and Lucas pandering to 5 year olds instead of adults, but I guess that is for a different thread.

What is wrong wanting to hold on to something that is good? Change is good when it is for the better. The Oilers were more than a childhood memory, they were a friend. Then they take away your friend, and later someone comes along and says "this is your friend now."

I liked my old friend better, for many reasons.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's nice to see Sam and I aren't the only ones here who are having a hard time getting into the Texans, or dislike the name. I was beginning to wonder!

I really liked this analogy...

What is wrong wanting to hold on to something that is good? Change is good when it is for the better. The Oilers were more than a childhood memory, they were a friend. Then they take away your friend, and later someone comes along and says "this is your friend now."
    ...........posted by MR. MEOWGI

It can take awhile to make new, close friends. The ones you really care about.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Did anyone catch the ending of the Oilers and the beginning of the Titans on the NFL Network this morning? Man, it sucked to see them leave. But I'm grateful that the Texans are in Houston and we have someone to root for now. Bud Adams (not the Titans) is a traitor in this town and he will never be forgotten. :mad:

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you mean like a montreal canadien??

or a new york yankee??

texan means more than just a person from texas

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

Remember the alamo? :p

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I have to agree with smeg on this one. I did not like the name choice much at all, as does most everybody I've talked to who is not from Texas.

New York Yankee is better than New York New Yorker. The Habs do have dumb name, but it's too old to change.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Very pumped for the Texans... I'm only 21 though and still was farely young when Oilers left so I was never really into the oilers that much so that probably helps.

I dont know if it woudl be harder to get into the texans or not if i had been a huge oilers fan

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm late to this, but no I haven't had any trouble getting into them. I have been to like 6 Texas games, and the intensity and fun at those games is so much higher than a normal Astros and Rockets games. (Though I hope that changes).

Did anyone have trouble getting into football in general when the Oilers left? I hardly even bothered watching. I guess I need a hometown team to cheer for.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i've been in new york for 10 years and can't get into any of the teams here. when the oilers split to nashville, i followed the titans, when the texans started up, bye-bye titans. i grew up with houston teams and will always root for them. it's not even a conscious decision, it's in the blood.

12. MadMax

this is me, exactly. i stopped watching the NFL for the most part after the Oilers left. lost all interest, save a few playoff games. that was really weird.

with the announcement of expansion, i got more interested...starting watching a bit more. and then when the texans hit the field, i was sold. i mean, geez...to win your first game against the in-state Cowboys the way they did...with a crowd that loud...to open up your very first season every with a bomb to bradford, followed by a diving TD...i mean, that's as magical as it gets in professional sports. i was hooked. they've only hooked me more with the way they've played UP to the level of their competition the past 2 seasons, with little expectation.

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I'm a Houston fan.

Take my team out of Houston, lose me as a fan.

I like some of the individuals we lost with the change, but not the Tennesee Possums.

I thought it was poetic justice to see them come 1 yard short in that Superbowl vs. the Rams.

Very, very pleased with the ownership down to the players of the HOUSTON Texans.

And about the name... Just where could the Texans end up moving to in Texas that could support them?

They're here for ever.

Go Texans!

btw- I used to have a shrine to the Oilers in my room.... even larger than the Rockets until about '93 (I realized I could support a real winner)... I was also however a bigger Moon supprter by then and followed him to Minnesota, then Seattle... then lost track, but by then the Oilers had flown the coop. Buncha chickens. Bud Adams is no "Bud" to Houstonians, so the fan loyalty to his franchise blows me away.

BUt I'll always root for Houston 1st, and anyone who's playing against the Cowboys 2nd... :p

14. MadMax

have i told you lately, that i love you? :D

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I've been to a few games, and a lot of it just seems so fake to me. People are just booming with artificial excitement for this team they barely know. Seriously, it's like life and death to some of the people there (at least that's how it seems), and the team didn't even exist a year or two prior to that game. I guess I just can't work up that kind of fervor that quickly.