1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have trouble getting into the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SamFisher, Jul 14, 2004.

1. caphorns

caphorns Member

I actually thought my last statement was a little over the line, so that's fair. But to say your thread was not about the Oilers when right off the bat you let us know that you don't feel the same way about the Texans as how passionate you felt about the OILERS. It's in your thread.

Regardless, I am certain that when the Texans find their way to the playoffs, you'll buy your gear and join in. Then maybe you can find the passion for NFL that you once had. Fine and fair. Other people on this tread, however, have tried to pin the blame on how the Texans have built the team - whining about how the coach talks to the media. That's the kind of thing that reminds me why Houston is accused of having such bad (and I mean horrible) sports fans.

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah I still think Woodson is the best CB in the league and it should be fun to watch him cover Andre. The first game of the season (vs Chargers) should be the Texans first blowout game. If Rivers is starting they should blitz him every play like they did David when they went to SD a couple of seasons ago.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Wuz up buddy!!! Man you have been quiet the last couple of days. See Giles went 2-4 last night with a couple of RBIs. Guess who is in first place:eek: :D

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what's today's date, Lil Francis?

where do you get that i'm quiet!!! you post here next to never!!! i've got like 3 million posts.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. I was going to write that they are more concerned about selling an image than just football. But your post was more accurate.

But to be fair, I haven't had any problems with actual football moves, and I think the team will be successful.

6. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Deckard

I think you're right, you are not a bandwagon fan. However, you are looking towards the Texans for 30 years of Oilers history and the passion you felt. You can't replace that.

You don't have to be a Texans fan. If you don't like the name, fine. The coach is boring, fine. But that has more to do with you personally than any deficiencies in the Texans organization. You can still be a Titans fan -- That's a cool name, isn't it? Sure is.

I think some people are offended that the Texans get the attention in Houston, and the Oilers, err, Titans are now Tennessee's team. Hate on Bud (not Bum), not the Texans.

It still blows my mind when people complain after McNair brings an NFL team back to Houston.

#86 moligity, Jul 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
  7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

HEHEHE! I know today's date and I also know who is in first place:p Never bet against the Braves.

8. caphorns

caphorns Member

Did you mean Bud (I hope). Cause I don't know a soul that can hate on Bum (or his Blue Ribbon sausage).

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Championships aren't won in July. Talk to me in September.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Earl Campbell sausage is pretty good also.

11. moligity

Oh Crap, my mistake -- I meant Bud; there's nothing wrong with Bum or his sausage.

Thanks for the heads up.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hmm. Didn't mention the coaching staff or anything about the Texans being boring. I just don't like the name.

I could care less about the Titans now, unless they get to the Superbowl. Then I'd like to see Fisher coach a winner.

I'm not the least bit offended about any attention the Texans get... the more they get, the better I like it. I just don't feel that passion I had for the Oilers. I don't know why that's confusing. I miss it. It's what I fully expected to feel for the Texans. It's probably from not seeing a game at Reliant. I have lived in Austin for over 20 years, so I have to go to some trouble to see a game.

Who has hated on the Texans? Where do you get this stuff? So, it's not OK to say anything that might be construed as criticism? I've got to spell it out?

Anybody have trouble getting into the Texans?

Simple question. My answer is yes. By my standards, my personal standards, as a fan of every Houston pro team, and the U. of H., then yes, I'm having trouble getting into them. It has nothing to do with who's coaching the team and how they are doing, and it sure as hell has nothing to do with McNair, who saved the city from being a desert when it comes to the NFL. I've followed Houston sports teams for over 40 years. Why on earth would I not admire McNair? I've seen the other owners in action.

I'll say it again... why is that confusing?

13. caphorns

caphorns Member

Deckard - I moved back to Houston from Austin 2 years ago. As a result, I found I got into the Texans because I know about them by reading the Chronicle every day and seeing reports about them on the news. You don't get this coverage in Austin, so I guess it's understandable why you might not get into the team. I think you would feel differently if you lived here. Despite your statements about the name (or others about the coach) I imagine that lack of information would be one solid reason you would not be INTO the Texans. Because, as others have said, the team, and the manner it plays, is very compelling.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice post, and so was your last one. Thanks, I'll try to see a game. :)

15. moligity

Hope you can make a game, or not. Whatever

#95 moligity, Jul 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

hehehehehehehe. You are referencing the guy who put Randy Moss on lock last season. I think he can stay with Andre Johnson. C-Wood is going to sign his new fat extension and get ready to put the clamps down all season long. Raiders - Texans should be a good game, I don't expect the Raiders to win, but it should be good anyway.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

the texans as a team name still really irks me... the Houston Texans... of course a team from Houston is a Texan... it's sort like the professional sports player talking in the third person......

i used to love the Oilers..... maybe in the drunken haze i have realised they somehow led me to the rockets.. but damn i followed Moon to Minnesota and that stuck.... Go Vikes and uck the boring Houston Houstonians!!!!!!!

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I miss the old Astros, old Oilers, and old Rockets.

The Oilers ROCKED! I still don't like the name Texans. I wish they would of gone with the name Apollos and kept a space theme going while using the Oilers colors.

The new Astros uniforms are lame. It just screams Academy outdoors sportswear. The whole Killer B's era sucks and bores the crap out of me. Astros used to have soul...

Don't even talk to me about the Rockets uniform changes. T-Mac is making them look better though. :D

19. M&M

M&M Member

Sounds similar to the problem some have with the newer Star Wars movies after growing up with the first three. Maybe it is just that your are no longer a child. And that you, as a child, were let down so much by the Oilers that you are afraid to let yourself be moved into a relationship that may also let you down. Furthermore, adults are more skeptical of change than children. Of course, you are named (on here) after a video game character right? Go see a game live. You will catch the fever. By the way, the Oilers were taken away by their greedy owner. So why hold on so long?

20. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

And the prequels really aren't very good movies. My kids didn't care for the Star Wars prequels. They've seen the originals on tape and like the first two quite a bit (Return of the Jedi not so much).

And I didn't really get into NFL football until I was an adult. Sports is so often something passed from father to son, and my father didn't like sports and never watched it. I didn't, either. It was only when I went off to college and started watching the Red Raiders that I started getting in to sports.

So, I wasn't around for the Luv Ya Blue era. I didn't see Earl or Bum or Pastorini. Even Warren Moon was well established by the time I started watching. I've read the history, but I didn't experience it personally.

I'm not holding on to the Oilers, but their disappearance did get me out of football because it left me without a team. It takes time to get back into it after completely laying off for several years (and, like I said, I don't get to see most of the games since they aren't on TV here in D/FW. I think it would help me get into 'em better if I had DirecTV again).

But I do think it is harder for me to get into sports in general these days because it has become so corporate overall.