1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Apr 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Only get a moped if it comes with a set of testicles, though...

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Blue balls:
    [​IMG]

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

at 102 mph, it probably didn't matter that he was on a bike vs a car

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I've got a motorcycle. Two actually. A Suzuki GS500 (my first bike) and just bought a Triumph Speed 4.

Pros:

1) Performance! Even a 500cc sportbike will accelerate faster than most cars at speeds near the speed limit. I just moved up to a 600cc sportbike and the power and handling is amazing.

2) Parking. It's great around campus (I'm at Texas A&M) and at the movies, I just park on the sidewalk.

3) Gas mileage: I get 50mpg around town in the GS500.

4) Chicks dig bikes.

Con:

1) Skill. It takes more skill to drive a bike than a car around town. People aren't used to looking for you.

2) Lots of short trips is inconvenient. I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket and boots and if I'm going from place-to-place, that's a lot of gear to be carrying around. I have a place to stow stuff at work though.

3) Exposure to the elements.

4) Maintenance. Lack of maintenance here can kill you.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

I can't believe how cheap those things are selling for

If I had any money at all I'd be all over one before Triumph comes to their senses

6. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Just wanted to add a few things, if you are serious about getting a bike.

1) Take a motorcycle safety foundation (MSF) course. There was a statistic somewhere stating that 90% of motorcycle accidents involved riders that did not take a formal motorcycle class.

2) Don't drink when on a motorcycle.

3) Don't get something TOO expensive as a first bike. Fairings like those on sportbikes crack easily when dropped. So do mirrors, footpegs, and turn signals. On sportbikes they seem to be easier to break.

4) Don't get something TOO powerful. A modern sportbike has enough power to wheelie and enough braking performance to lift the rear wheel high into the air.

5) Always wear a helmet. I'd highly recommend MC gloves and boots too. These aren't too intrusive.

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Yeah, they seem like a huge bargain compared to some of the popular Japanese 600's out there.

I got mine for $4500, with less than 2,100 miles on it, and a year left on the warranty. It was a 2004 that someone bought as their first bike. I think he was intimidated by it, because the tires were barely worn on the sides. The performance and handling is light years beyond my GS500, and I really like the styling too.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Get something sensible.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I got the HOTTT bike!!!

Look at the cold air intake!!!!

[​IMG]

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Be careful. Wear all the gear. Wear a helmet. And even then, be prepared for the out of the ordinary. My father did everything correct, layers of clothing, helmet, license, everything. That didn't stop the elderly gentleman driving the van from hitting him and killing him instantly.

Even with that, if you think you'd enjoy it -- DO IT! I know my Dad loved it and if he had to go I'm glad it was something he was happy doing. Just be safe.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I have been meaning to get me another one for some time....I used to ride a Virago 500 back in the mid 80s..great little cruiser...really gorgeous when clean..

Just got a 86 Yamaha FXZ700 Fazer that just needs a piston for nothing..fortunately...I used to be a mechanic...so Im basically getting a bike for the cost of a piston/gasket sets.

When looking for parts at the Yamaha dealer...I inquired about the newer bikes...sine I was drooling over the 05 V Star 1100 Classic

[​IMG]

I can get one for a little over 125/mn

Im sorely tempted to get it and fix the Fazer and sell it.

oh yea...keep in mind...if you start riding...you gonna have to spen dmost of your time keeping an eye on everyone else...thats the only way you survive riding on the street for any length of time...you alwasy gotta know whats goin on around you.

Protection...leathers, helmets etc..you can never have too much on..

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Last time I rode a motorcycle I spent more than a year on crutches.

When it comes to motorized vehicles I'm sticking to four wheels and walls.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Check out this PDF download from the BMW-MOA(Motorcycle Owners of America) where Neil Peart is interviewed by BMW-MOA and talks about, not Rush, but motorcycling in regards to his life. Plus, he offers some good tips and his trials/tribulations in motorcycling. I think it's a good read. That's why I'm offering it.

Neil Peart Motorcycling Interview(not about Rush)

Surf

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member