1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Franchise3, Apr 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

So I am starting to get pissed off with my car (86 Chevy Blazer) and I want to get an alternate form of transportation. I think I want to get a motorcycle.

Anyone here have one? What are some of the pros and cons you have found from owning one?

I think it would be nice to have one to just use to go to work and around town and then I could use my Blazer if I ever need the cargo space.

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I have a 1998 Yamaha Royal Star. I dont have a pic of my own, but this is what the model looks like.
    [​IMG]

There is NOTHING like riding a bike. You wouldn't believe how much fun it is to just get out and ride. Get one, get it now.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

CONS? Falling off the bike and rubbing the skin right off your limbs.

Anyways, I am most likely going to get a Street Bike later this year.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

this kid who is a regular at a store i own, just crashed his motorcycle, and had his brains thrown up against a house.

to add insult to injury, someone in the neighborhood, stole his motorcycle, so the cops will never know what went wrong with the bike.

moral of story: wear a helmet :(

as an aside:

my brother owned a Ducati 749S, but sold it after seeing his riding partner literally get run over by 5 cars after being clipped by another vehicle on the highway. i like bikes, as much as the next guy, but if you plan on driving it in the city--not a good idea.

its good for the deserts of nevada...but not here.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

[​IMG]
    Japanese high-performance was defined by inline fours. Honda did offer V-4 400s for the Japanese market in 1982, but the V65s raised the performance bar with a broad torque range combined with a serious top-end rush. Four valves per cylinder, relatively mild cams, an efficient induction system with straight-shot intake tracts, clean-burning combustion chambers and a quartet of 36mm constant-velocity carbs gave the V65 Sabre its most powerful production motorcycle engine available. Pumping out a walloping 121 horsepower, the mighty Sabre could launch from a standstill to 50 miles per hour in just 2.31 seconds!
    0-100 mph in 7.3 seconds

I say holy crap a lot when I ride it

6. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Bikes are better for cruising, which, is doable in Houston, but not likely in most of the greater metropolitan area... It's no good if you're stuck in traffic or sitting at a light. However, if traffic and lots of stops aren't an issue for you on your normal travel routes, then go for it. And wear the safety gear!

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

in 99 I had a Yamaha V-Star 1100. It was a great bike. I rode every day rain or shine. 15,000 miles my first year. I had 3 scares in that time.

My advice would be...

Take a motorcycle safety course.
    Practice your skills
    Wear protective gear
    Never ride impaired or beyond your ability

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Anybody have a motorcycle" WHAT? :confused:

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I don't exactly live in the "city". I live in what is basically a college town in Gainesville, FL.

Would it be a bad idea to get a bike here? I'd probably look at getting more of a honda-type sportbike.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Take the advice of Rush drummer Neil Peart who rides motorcycles a hell of a lot. Always wear layers of clothes, wear those cute little full sleeve riding outfits, wear gloves appropriate for the occassion and weather, always bring different sets of gloves in case the weather changes, always bring stuff that you only need in emergencies but otherwise wouldn't need or care to bring, and always wear your full protective gear...even if your only going out for a very small ride to the store or something. Last, but most importantly, always...and he stresses always...concentrate when you are riding, use your imagination to imagine when an accident might occur, and take action to avoid those imagined scenarios so you don't become the accident. While riding is fun and obviously exhilirating, there is a right way and a wrong way to ride. The wrong way riders are the ones who end up disfigured or dead. Do not take what you are doing for granted. There is always something else to learn when it comes to riding...even among the most skilled riders. Also, take the safety courses and courses offered by experienced, skilled riders to improve your own riding skills. You may think you know a lot if you've been doing it a while but there is always more to know and stuff you can do better as a rider.

All this is relayed to you from the words of Neil Peart. I am just the messenger.

Surf

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you're drunk a lot it is probably a horrible idea. I know people say they don't drink and drive, but probably 70% of the people I know do. Generally not if they're completely hammered, but still. If you are apt to be doing a lot of drinking at places where you will be taking you rmotorcycle to, I say bad idea.

I think a motorcycle as a primary form of transportation in general seems kind of stupid. As has been described, a fender-bender ona bike is a little different than for a car.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Really? That much?

I may never drive again. :eek:

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd say likely. If you think about it, you can only have one beer, and if drive within the next 30-45 minutes you are probably technically pretty close to over the limit. Again, I'm not talking hammered, but if someone who has only had 2 beers hits me and causes injury I will be no lose pissed than if the guy is hammered.

I'm not a bar/club scene type of guy, and when I drink it is usually at home (I've been brewing my own beer) or at a nice dinner.

That said, when I'm driving on a Friday or Saturday night in Houston, I just go ahead and assume that everybody on the road is a little tipsy at best. You got to be ready for those loonies.

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

For most people Motorcycle's as everyday drivers is a bad idea. Even if you are the best driver in the world you can't control the other morons out there.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I would love one to have fun with on the weekends. I would like some sort of funky old bike. I would wear a helmet and stay off the freeways though. But it's not exactly high on my priority list...

16. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd also suggest getting a "cruiser" rather then a sport bike as your first bike. Most first timers don't realize that a sport bike (ninja/katana/hayabusa) is much tougher to ride then a cruiser. I've seen plenty of experienced bikers go down at slow speeds on sports bikes for various reasons. Bikes where you maintain a more centered balance are easier to handle, especially for new riders. Either way, like said above make sure you take a weekend safety course (can be found at local colleges).

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, if you're in a car, running into a a drunk biker wouldn't be that bad. You might get a busted up fender or radiator, or maybe a cracked windshield, depending on how fast the biker was going, but I doubt you'd get hurt. Plus, the biker would probably get the ticket anyways for driving drunk, even if it WAS your fault...

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Well, I don't drink and drive at all after a friend of the family died in a drunk driving accident. To me, it's just not worth it to drive even if I may be close to the legal limit. Not only is there the fear of an accident, but I'd hate to have my career ruined because of a drunk driving incident on my record. I've seen way too many people kicked out of the armed services for drunk driving. One and done, zero tolerance policy.

Anyway, you bring up a very good point that I hadn't thought about. I'd hate to be driving around and be smashed by another student who had been drinking. Around here I am so much more scared about the other drivers on the road. Thanks for bringing that point to my attention.

19. droxford

droxford Member

In high school, the brother of a friend of mine drove his motorcycle over railroad tracks at 102 mph. He flew off the bike and hit a telephone pole head-first. His head exploded on impact.

He didn't wear a helmet because it messed up his hair. But at 102 mph, the helmet wouldn't have made much difference.

I got to see their family suffer from it for a long time. The mom would continue to set a place for him at the dinner table. It was sad.

Motorcycles aren't worth the risk.

-- droxford

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Get a Moped

[​IMG]