1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody Else Cringe At the Thought of Home Games on National TV?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't bother me none. Unfortunately for me, the only way I could go to a game right now would be a day game on Saturday or Sunday. So I can't really complain about others not going.

2. dmoneybangbang

By the second quarter, it usually fills up.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wouldn't post this except you had to go at dis the upper bowl fans.

You always have to be careful when viewing @J.R. posts. He likes to go for shock value, often skewing reality sometimes. (Love ya J.R., but you know that's true.) :eek:

Deckard, those images comprise just two games. Those two games were the B2B homes games last Thurs and Friday during Superbowl week when many roads downtown were closed. So, not only are B2B home games going to hamper attendance (which never occur for that reason) , but the town hosting the Super Bowl with major road blockages near your stadium is going to hamper early arrivals...hence that $1 beer special. They knew the problem going in.

Although we (as well as many NBA teams) suffer from late arrivals, shame on you guys cherrypicking the Superbowl games.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I completely agree that the upper bowl is usually packed at game time, even if it can be hard to tell when watching on LP from Austin. I was surprised at the empty seats I could discern in J.R.'s images. No intentional cherry picking on my part, heypartner. Just trying to make my point.

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  5. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Yes this bothers me a lot mostly because you know Le$ sells out almost every game yet there are a lot of people who try to re-sell their tickets and fail to then don't even bother going themselves. Or there are large companies buying tickets for great lower bowl seats in bulk then some of the tickets go to waste.

The start times really need to be 7:30 like they used to be during the Yao era. I remember there being a much more packed arena at tip off. I'm sick of seeing small market teams such as OKC have every seat filled BEFORE tip-off.

$1 beer until 6:45 is a great promo and needs to be every game! I believe that would make a big difference.

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Le$ should supply each seat with a removable/mounted souvenir hat. This way the seats appear to be occupied and not empty.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They only had 15,514 yesterday. Rockets are not very popular in Houston and Les is too greedy to lower the ticket prices. Does the chronicle even cover them? Even 790 their flagship station barely talk about them.

8. Nivos

Nivos Member

I agree with you. It is unacceptable and it's damaging the Rockets brand and reputation, especially on a nationally televised game.
    I don't live in the states now and writing for a basketball website about the Rockets.
    After every game like that I get so many responses about 'Whats up with the Rockets crowd?' No other team gets that kind of response from other teams fans.
    Much of it I believe comes from the game time experience which is probably just not attractive enough.

DudeWah, DonKnock and Deckard like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They all lining up at the $1 beer and cheeseburger stands along with Maury and Keith Jones. It usually fills up by half time when their tummies are filled and they need a nap before they can get up at the end of the 3rd quarter and leave.

PigMiller and J.R. like this.
  10. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

That is the amount of tickets that were sold and that isn't bad considering it was against Orlando. There definitely was not that many people at the game though.

Jonathan Feigen is the Chron Rockets writer and they are covered in the Sports section daily, including today's front page headline. 790 talks Rockets a decent amount but not as much as the Texans.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think one thing that would help would be to have some of the players get involved in local ads like H-E-B does with the Texans and Spurs.

Why can't they do this with the Rockets?

Why can't a separate business do this with the Rockets?

The only Rockets related ads I have seen have been the Harden Adidas and Harden Trolli ads.

Someone who owns a local business needs to step up to the plate!

Deckard likes this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Players don't care about attendance IMO until maybe the playoffs. They care FAR MORE about winning and $$$.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They don't have those ads in Houston? I've been living in Austin for over 30 years, so I honestly don't know if that's the case (and the HEB ads are in Austin from time to time). Send an email to HEB's management suggesting it, and send an email to Rockets management suggesting it. Give your reasons. It might actually do something.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

No, they only do Texans!

I've already e-mailed H-E-B:mad:, you're right I suppose Rockets management would be the next step.

The worst part is that H-E-B advertises during the Rockets games already:confused:

Deckard likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Personally I don't give a damn. How many people go and watch the game does not change my enjoyment from watching them by a single iota.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I guess I don't understand why anyone would actually be bothered or embarrassed (not directly affiliated with the Rockets' organization) by the lack of fans at some of the games. I could understand someone being bothered if it meant the team was likely to move due to poor attendance, but that is not a concern here.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

a single iota?

I'm sure it makes a difference to the Rockets, though, so indirectly it would affect you. And for those there, it definitely increases my enjoyment when the stadium is packed.

Well, can't we look at this the other way around. Can you understand why people love it when they go to the game and the stadium is packed? I'm sure the Rockets players themselves love it, too.

So, just turn that around, and I don't see why it is hard to understand why ticket holders might be disappointed by lack of attendance at games they go to.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I was at the bulls game. Upper deck were filled more than I expected. Lower bowl. Not so much

19. Fantasma Negro

I just watched that whole thing and I'm jealous

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is embarrassing. The Rockets have the 3/4th best record in the league. Have a fun, open 3pt shooting offense. And have the, "hopefully," MVP of the league in James Harden. Yet, the start of the games look like a $hit-show. It is a black eye.

DudeWah and J.R. like this.