1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

any WiiU owners here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Nov 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not convinced. Maybe after Super Smash Brothers and the new Zelda title come out and I read some feedback. You should understand that I have always played vastly more games (and hours) at a PC compared to playing on my kids' consoles. Actually, the kids would be delighted (I can already hear, "Can I borrow it, Dad?"), but would it fulfill me long term? An inquiring Blade Runner is wondering. He's also wondering if a really good Blade Runner title will ever come out, but that's another subject.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you are a pc gamer that prefers RTS I don't see why you would buy a Wii or the latest graphics card. You aren't close to the target market for either of those.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The only reason I still buy Nintendo is for the first party games which is more than enough for me.

Anyone get the new DLC for MK8 thst just came out?

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Yes, new courses are a treat. Worth it.

5. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Nice to see another Clutchfan feels the same way. It's good to see that Nintendo does DLC right and not just a money grab or day 1 patch. Due to my busy schedule, I haven't been able to download the Mario Kart 8 DLC. But I keep hearing rave reviews about it.

#45 vaioavan63, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My in-laws love their Wii and will probably upgrade to a Wii U when the Wii dies. I'd say get one.

A lot of people overlook that the Wii U can play Wii games. Thats an instant, huge boost to your library.

We got a Wii U for our son last Christmas and the first party games are superb. I would say it's their best console since the N64. I highly recommend it for anyone who has younger kids or loves Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8 is awesome and there is also DLC coming out for it- they just released a new cup and new drivers including Link.

Although I'm sure Smash Bros is going to be awesome, I'm really looking forward to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, which is an entire game with puzzle levels that are found here and there in Mario 3D World (another slam dunk).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m91qkP5ZaN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nintendo is also coming out with Amiibos soon- kind of a knock-off of Skylanders but it allows you to play different Nintendo characters in different games.

<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/11/11/amiibo-february-2015-figures-overview" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'm going to want to pay $40 for Captain Toad, but I know my oldest will want it. Toad is for some reason his favorite character.

Amiibos are such a big question mark. Skylanders & Disney Inifinity depend on them, but that won't be the case with Amiibo right now. Only SSB offers anything worthwhile.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I thought I read somewhere MK8 will be utilizing amiibos as well?

Is it weird that I'm 25 years old and am willing to ask for these as stocking stuffers?:confused::eek:

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Well, I'm less than a week in and have only played two games (Super Mario 3D and Nintendoland -- both with my 6yo), but I think it's a fantastic system already. The tablet controller (and combined screen action) took only a few moments to get familiar with (thanks to short but helpful practice lessons provided).

1 person likes this.
  10. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

It's the only time I haven't regretted getting DLC.

Link yelling when anything happens is pretty entertaining haha

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It will, but just for in game costumes for your Mii. If you have Mario Amiibo, your Mii can wear Mario's clothes.

It will also work for Hyrule Warriors, but it will simply allow you a special weapon or bonus.

Other games will use them, but we don't know how they will use them in those other games.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I went ahead and preordered the Smash Bundle even though I don't have my Wii U yet. I got $20 off the bundle with this Gamer's Club Unlocked thing I just signed up for through Best Buy(They had a deal on getting Unlocked for$30 instead of $120).

Will wait on Amazon deals to see if they have anything good for WiiU console. If not I will just grab the refurbished or regular priced one. Gotta play my Smash Bros!

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yeah it's great. Super worth it for like, what, $12?

I'm also strangely excited about the Captain Toad game. I loved those little mini games on Mario 3D World, so I would definitely play a whole game devoted to that style of gameplay.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I wonder if I can upgrade my preorder at best buy for that smash bros. bundle. That's the one with the GameCube controller, right?

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah it comes with the Gamecube controller and controller converter. I don't think it is all in a box like the Gamestop one is but they all come bundled together for the same price.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Awesome, I still have all of my GameCube controllers too.

Anyone use the Wii U tablet as a remote for the tv? How do you like it?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! Great feedback. And thanks to the rest of you. I might (and probably will) take the plunge and get myself one for Christmas. I could do with the relaxation. :)-

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I find it relaxing. I can get pretty intense playing an RTS. A lot of Nintendo's stuff is highly entertaining, but more laid back than "My god! Another wave of the Zerg!!" The sort of games I would have loved to have played back in the late '60's. It would have been a nice change from my cousin's ping pong table on his screened in porch at the back of his house, where we hung a large backlight fixture over the table, painted all the stripes, the balls, the rims of the paddles, the outline of the net, and had hellacious games at night. Trippy, in other words.

(whoops! sorry for the double post)

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Right, I'm not criticizing your choice of games. Just your choice doesn't need a WiiU or a recent graphics card. You have the advantage of having 100% of your gaming cash going towards games.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My son uses it to queue up netflix or just watch netflix on it. It's only drawback is it's range- go over 20 feet from the Wii U and it loses sync. It's not an issue for the living room but it does restrict him from bringing the tablet to his room upstairs.

I did some research on the wireless tech it uses and it should go at least 50 feet with no issues. Maybe something Nintendo will address with a patch.

$12 gets you two DLCs- the Zelda circuit and the Animal Crossing Circuit that comes out in 02/15. It also gets you different colored shy guys and yoshis.

I hope Nintendo realizes what a cash cow they could have with DLC for some of their games and keeps pumping it out. You can never have too many tracks in Mario Kart.