1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any updates on Dwight? (UPDATE: Dwight to return on Wednesday in New Orleans)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Feb 27, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Get him back by April 1st and we should be good. Man I am excited.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Good interview. I'm keeping my optimism in check, but it looks like the team has done everything it can to allow Dwight to have a healthy return. Sometimes the best benefit of doing rehab is regaining a lot of muscular balance and it sounds like they're putting a bit of emphasis on that.

OTOH players tend to be optimistic when they first hit the floor after an injury and we won't know how the knee really feels until a week from now when there's been more pressure on it.

If we can get this guy back with 8 games left in the regular season and being 90% of what he was late last season then we will be making a massive addition to a team in the most competitive conference perhaps ever.

If you had to describe a player this team needs, it would either be a dominant defensive big man or an excellent playmaking PG. Hopefully Dwight and to a far lesser extent Prigioni will push this team over the hump.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Well, he was more springy earlier this year, and he did have a playoff series that made the quotes seem legitimate last year...

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Man...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7wEfFVXix4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Not really. I don't recall them saying a lot before he returned the last time, and everything that came out after he was back was pretty damning -- just stuff about how he felt great one game and not good at all the next.

6. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

this team is gonna be great when hes back... just cant wait :grin:

7. platypus

platypus Member

Just to think a month ago Doctors on this board were saying Dwight was gonna get micro-fracture and be done.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not out of the question IMO if they had mishandled the situation. I think what we have seen is ultra caution from the Rockets, which set off alarm bells for some.

I think we're taking more of a Spurs approach but some people though we were in a Wade/Heat situation.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We are Rockets fans. We have been dealt with major injuries over and over again. When Howard had knee injuries and comments such as "bone to bone" were actually uttered by howard, well we all went off the deep end. Can you blame us?

Keep in mind the guy is just now getting back on the court....still way too early to really determine anything.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't think anyone really knows. They are being cautious and doing their best and at some point they are going to try it out and hope for the best.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I disagree, I think the team knows exactly what it is. If it was a very serious thing, he would not be returning this season. If it was very serious, he wouldn't say he's had more serious injurieS in his career.

The team has been very clear. What they're not admitting is that they rushed him back and may have reduced the long term shelf life of Dwight's knee by doing so. That's what they don't know.

But I think they know that there's no structural damage and that Howard will be back before the playoffs barring a practice set back and that his knee is not shot like Wade or Amare.

I was one of the people who initially panicked and made some panicky comments when things first emerged and joined the chorus of people saying Dwight looks like his entire physical state is bad and we're going to see a different Dwight forever. Reflecting on that though, the only thing anyone from the team ever said was "bone on bone" and that was Dwight and it's fairly obvious now that he misspoke. No one ever said or hinted microfracture or no catilage or permanent damage.

What we can deduce from Morey and McHale's statements since the injury is that they effed up and they are trying to cover their own ass by not saying that.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Howard said he's more 'explosive' than he's been all season. &quot; Oh yeah. For sure. I don't think had a time I felt really good on the floor.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/575414171975593985">March 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Zbed

Zbed Member

I'm starting to get hyped for Dwight's return. If we have playoff Dwight from last year or at least 75% playoff Dwight and MVP Beard we could make a run.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We need 90% or better of playoff D12 from last yr.

15. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Dwight was sensational last year in the playoffs. He was virtually the only one that looked like he wanted to win. Beverley was sick/hurting, Harden was off, Lin wasn't focused or just crumbled under pressure, Parsons was decent but Ariza will be much better in a playoff atmosphere. We won't NEED even 90% of last year Dwight in this playoffs as long as the rest of the team (including our newly polished bench) have their health and head in the game.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, not about this injury. Just in general. I just think they have hyped up how he's going to play and then he doesn't live up to it, for one reason or another. He's still been good, but it's time to just wait it out and let him show us, instead of saying he's more athletic or moving better.

He got kneed on opening night, which seems to have started it all, and he just got progressively worse. Taking that into consideration, saying this is the best he's been this season isn't saying a lot.

17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I just hope he gets back on the floor in time for the playoffs. I don't put much stock into these quotes.

18. okeezie

okeezie Member

Well you should. Like I've said before with Dwight. His injury is not structural and there is no joint damage. His recovery is totally based on how he feels. He will be pushed in based on how he feels. So how he feels is kind of important. Its actually the only thing that is important. Once doctors determine that surgery is not indicated then it is up to the patient and physical therapist to decide return to sport. And we progress the patient based on how they feel. That's the only way we can do it in a case like Dwight's. Not time frame. If they ask Dwight for a diagnosis don't listen. Ask the medical staff. If they ask Dwight how he feels listen. His opinion is the only one that matters on that subject.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=cc4364c50ff992f472&cmpid=twitter-premium

More 'explosive' Howard progressing for Rockets

#119 vator, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. jbasket

jbasket Member

^^

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.