1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any update on CP25's back spasm?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ccjj, Dec 1, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wtf? Torn back muscle? You have no grounds for coming to that prognosis. A torn back muscle is very painful most of the time. Your back muscles are pretty resistant to fatigue since you use them all the time to support your upper body. You would feel it all the time.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I created a thread in the D&D to cover this acupuncture discussion. I don't want to keep discussing that here. Here's the thread:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8494128
    I respond to your post there. Sorry for taking this thread off-topic.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Good thing they only have one more game between now and next Thursday. But this looks like it's going to be a problem all season long which is bad news.

4. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockets&amp;src=hash">#Rockets</a> Parsons said he had about 2 hours worth of acupuncture treatment today. Still not 100% healthy. Said three inch needles used today</p>&mdash; AdamWexlerCSN (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/statuses/409417578202009600">December 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Parsons after acupuncture: &quot;It’s more sore than it’s ever been. I'm just trying to do what I can to play. I'm definitely not 100 percent.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/409423973382778880">December 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

man this is really worrisome...

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

sit him until full recovery

7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

McHale should just sit him the next 3 games. It's not worth risking permanent injury to a cornerstone player. This is obviously not something minor, he's not going to make the playoffs if he keeps playing like this.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why can't he just sit for a month if needed? We will still be a top 5 seed even if we rest guys a lot.

9. pnr

pnr Member

I think if we had won at least the jazz game he wouldn't have returned so early. Maybe Morey is going to trade Asik for a SF so Parsons doesnt have to play so many minutes.

10. quatin

quatin Member

Not sure where you got this, but it's full of misinformation

Maybe read webmd or something if you don't believe me? A minor muscle tear in your back doesn't have to be debilitating. When you warm up your back, the pain can go away, because the muscle expands and reliefs some of the pressure on the damaged section. When the muscle cools down it contracts and puts the pressure on the tendon or muscle that has the tear.

I went through this too at a spine center. It could be a disc as well, but that would show up in an x-ray. All the little clues since Parsons has this really seems to point towards a torn muscle. Let's review:

1) Parsons got a "pulled back" on a flight back from a home game.
    This means he had a muscle strain in his back.

2) He started getting muscle spasms after games. This points to an inflamed muscle, which again could be just a strain (which is technically micro-tears).

3) When he started categorizing "a lot of pain" after a game when his back cools down, it really indicates he aggravated it to the point where it may be torn.

11. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Actually, FTR, disc problems require an MRI to diagnose properly. Disc anomalies do not present clearly in X-rays.

Regardless, I think we are all in agreement that there is cause for concern. As serious as a muscle tear is, however, I would prefer that to a herniated disc. You can heal a muscle, but you have to continually manage a disc problem. If the disc ruptures, you have little recourse but surgery.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist here. "Sore" backs are common in the NBA, and Parsons could have some kind of strain that's causing the problem. The pattern seems similar to a disc issue, though; and having been through it myself I am just a bit paranoid about that. I'd hate to see him have to shut if down for any extended period. Let's hope that's not the case and we are not having this conversation a month from now.

Fingers crossed.

12. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I feel that management is covering up an injury. Back spasms occur all the time with disc problems. Management must have given him an MRI. This is nothing to fool around with. A herniated disc is a big problem. Bulging disc a problem and can cause an anyone to have mobility problems. It is very bad for an athelete on Parsons level. Every jump puts tremendous pressure on the spine. We don't know if it involves the spine, so lets hope its something else.