1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any trades up Morey's sleeve prior to 5 pm on 10/27?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Oct 18, 2014.

?

W.W.M.D.? [What will Morey do?]

Poll closed Oct 27, 2014.
  1. Trade Jason Terry's expiring contract for a larger expiring contract (e.g., Marcus Thornton)

13.2%
  2. Trade Terry + draft picks for Ricky Rubio

22.4%
  3. Trade Donatas Motiejunas for a draft pick

11.8%
  4. Trade Isaiah Canaan for a draft pick

26.3%
  5. Trade both Motiejunas and Canaan for draft picks

15.8%
  6. Other (please explain)

34.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Besides the Pellie's first, TJones and DMo are best bargaining chips. Jones is playing heavy minutes in PS and maybe being show cased. I just wouldn't trade DMo or Canaan for a 2nd at this point.

Black, Adrien and Dorsey are all hustle/defense/rebound guys. Of those 3, we should bet on Black as he's younger and has more upside. If we gave DMo minutes at center and paired him with Black, that might work well rotation-wise.

I still believe DMo can contribute if we use his strengths as a low-post player. If we plays 10-15 mins at C, he'll contribute on offense and be OK on defense.

Canaan is interesting. He has the mindset of a scorer, but the body of a small PG. His ability to score would be useful when Bev is resting and JH is controlling the ball. However, Ish gives us a more natural PG who keeps the ball moving and plays decent defense. If Ish could shoot it would be less of a competition, but he's not that guy. In some ways he gives us a view of what a poor-man's Rubio might be in this offense.

I agree with most here, we probably won't see any trade fireworks before the 27th. However, Morey's great a finding the gold nugget in the stream, so I don't ever close the possibility.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nowadays I actually think early 2nd rounders are the next best thing after lotto picks. We are seeing a trend start to develop that teams don't want to have to give these mid to late 1st rounders that guaranteed money.

3. haydenfisher342

agreed. Teams like Houston/ OKC/ Spurs/ Clippers dont need to waste the money on late first rounder. bottom feeders are willing to give very low second rounders for a chance at a first round. They have the money and want to pick "talent."

Give up a few spots in the draft, get a sleeper in the second, pay half the cost. It really is a difference between great teams and lottery teams

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree. The fact that they didn't trade them this Summer means they are banking on them getting better this year.

My only point in responding to the aforementioned post was that worrying about their free agent status is unnecessary. They have up until February of 2016 to move them if they think they cant, or don't want to pay either of them the following Summer.

As of now the focus has to be taking advantage of the production you get from a 3rd year player on a rookie contract. You get the value you put into developing young players the most that particular year & the 4th year typically.

However if Morey was able to get a pick for either player that more than EXCEEDED the MARKET VALUE of either player when estimating active pick buyers vs PF buyers, I do think he might trade one of them if the deal is right if he thought that pick can net them the impact trade they are desperate to make ASAP this year. I don't see either player netting a pick of that value, so I don't see them getting dealt unless they are necessary to roll into a trade for an impact player.

Getting 2nd round picks or even a late 1st for Jones/Early 2nd for D-Mo would be NEGATIVE value for them vs. the production you should MORE THAN receive for both players even if they just produce what they did last year and only slightly improve. If they improve a ton, that you its a no brainer to not give them up for a pick. They have an extreme needs for production at their spots in the rotation, and cap space and future draft picks don't give any of that this year.

#44 dobro1229, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah, you're right. Billy King>Morey. They were so smart to build around Williams and Lopez.

6. dobro1229

Jones and D-Mo aren't restricted next year. Not sure if that's what you mean, but that's not the case. They have a team option for 2015/16 making a little over 2 million a year which will be considered a bargain that year with the jump in salary cap.

If the Rockets decide they don't want to pay them the following Summer of 2016, they can trade them before February of 2016. Not sure why paying them is of any concern? They have time, and I don't think they are waiting for 2016 for Durant.

However if they can somehow trade for existing contracts that come off the books in 2016(hello Al Horford) than maybe its still a possibility.

Even if we don't see a trade made this year, I absolutely think that Morey will have a free agency just like this last year, and will make a run at Love(if he doesn't resign with CLE first), LMA(same), Gasol(same), Millsap(I think next Summer's realistic target), Rondo, Jackson, and Dragic among many others.

No way he sits next Summer out IMO IF for some crazy reason he's not able to get a trade done this year in season. Even then he still might find a way to bring in someone somehow as well next Summer.

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of Rondo, but I can somehow see Rondo & Green in a Rockets uniform pretty soon.

8. dobro1229

Would seem like an obvious move, but I'm pretty sure the Rockets would have to send out at least 15 million in player salary to match for trade purposes.

Of course some people will suggest we can send out half the players on the team and Ariza & Papanikolaou, but I sincerely doubt that's going to happen.

9. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Nothing's gonna happen

10. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

11. rogower

rogower Member

0% chance of this happening. Rondo and Green make a combined $22.1 mil in 2014-15. Houston would have to give up either James Harden, Dwight Howard, or Trevor Ariza. Not happening.

12. bmd

bmd Member

13. dragician

dragician Member

Morey will get fired before season ends.

14. ling ling

ling ling Member

My source says, the rockets will be going bring in a terrific free agent this year.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

For a team that is desperate in terms of size behind Howard, they will not be trading away Motiejunas without getting size back in return.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

[​IMG]

17. NotChandlerParsons

I voted other. Don't think anything is going to happen before the season. I think our best chance is the Hawks blowing up mid-season, but even that is pretty slim (10% or less).

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I'll take the field...

19. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets, as always, are in vulture mode, and it's doubtful any carcasses will be available until the trade deadline. For better or worse, the roster we see now is probably going to be the roster we see in Jan.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What are you talking about, who in there right mind would trade Dmo for a second round pick?