1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any trades up Morey's sleeve prior to 5 pm on 10/27?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Oct 18, 2014.

?

W.W.M.D.? [What will Morey do?]

Poll closed Oct 27, 2014.
  1. Trade Jason Terry's expiring contract for a larger expiring contract (e.g., Marcus Thornton)

13.2%
  2. Trade Terry + draft picks for Ricky Rubio

22.4%
  3. Trade Donatas Motiejunas for a draft pick

11.8%
  4. Trade Isaiah Canaan for a draft pick

26.3%
  5. Trade both Motiejunas and Canaan for draft picks

15.8%
  6. Other (please explain)

34.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

TJones and DMo will prob b moved this year... but t wont be simply to dump them for a 2nd rd pick...

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

W.W.M.D?

[​IMG]

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jones and D-Mo have TEAM options for next season. Why Morey would decline those options and send them into free agency early is beyond me.

Jones and D-Mo might get traded but that's highly doubtful if its not a high impact trade for a legitimate core piece or pieces.

The Rockets desperately need and are obviously banking on both guys for key production this year, and probably next. I don't see them going anywhere honestly. Don't buy the nonsense that Morey is looking to dump Jones. That's made up nonsense for antifans.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Most probably yes. I think they will be given a chance to play with Howard and Harden etc, to build up their trade value. I feel that Morey will try and attach them with other assets as a part of a bigger trade.
    2nd round picks for either one of them will be an alternative choice.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets need key production from both of them. I think they will show little improvement at the most , and will be moved as part of a bigger trade.

Trying to obtain 2nd round picks for them will be a last resort move IMO.

6. haydenfisher342

Anything past the trade deadline will only bring down the value of Tjones and Dmo regardless of them being restricted. Keeping them past this year I believe we wont get the return we would have if we would trade them before deadline.

I agree with you, that Houston will try to trade for a high impact player of course, thats a given.

If we keep dmo, jones past 2016 we exhausted our means of getting a 3rd star and have pretty much said #*@! it, We are waiting for Durant.

If we trade them, its because we are not trying to wait for Durant.

7. haydenfisher342

Jones with worth more then a 2nd though

8. showa13

showa13 Member

If we dump Jones and DMo, who is the starting 4? Who is The backup 5? I've seen a lot of negative reviews on Dorsey and Adrian(I'll admit I haven't been able to catch a preseason game) but if we get rid of Jones/DMo who replaces them?

9. haydenfisher342

3rd star / or 1 year rental

10. bongman

bongman Member

Agree . Rising star game is usually littered with first rounders.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I agree trading a possible rotation player for second round picks? what's the point of that?

12. haydenfisher342

O I dont know, maybe, um the future? Guys tv deal is coming. You think Parsons got overpayed! Ha! We dont have a chance at winning a title this year with our bench. Stay afloat, be at the table when its time to get Durant

13. rogower

rogower Member

The point is simple. If you get the same or better production from minimum salary veteran free agent acquisitions (Joey Dorsey, Jeff Adrien, Tarik Black) as you'd get from a former first round pick with perceived "upside" (Donatas Motiejunas), and you can get a draft pick for this young guy with perceived "upside," you do it. Otherwise, you end up waiving guys (e.g., Adrien, Black) who you could instead make room for by trading a Motiejunas for a second round pick.

Think of it this way:

Adrien = Black = Motiejunas

If they are all the same, then Adrien, Black, and a second rounder > Motiejunas and Adrien and no pick, or Motiejunas and Black and no pick.

By the way, advanced stats loved Terrence Jones last season, and hated Motiejunas. Plus, Jones is younger than Motiejunas. Also loved by advanced stats: Jeff Adrien! And advanced stats say that Smith is pretty solid.

If Motiejunas and Canaan are traded then my guess is that they will be quickly forgotten.

Same deal with Canaan and Smith:

Canaan = Smith

Thus, Smith + a second round pick > Canaan and no pick.

14. TISNF

TISNF Member

Great explanation. Thx.

15. haydenfisher342

This is a good post, rep if I could. This will allow us flexability, more resources, and gives us a better shot at 3rd star

16. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

NOne of those going to happen. Will take more a lot more to get Rubio and makes no sense acquire draft picks specially since those pick will likely be very protected first or seconds. Maybe the bigger expiring but right now terry is a extreme negative so getting a serviceable expiring for Terry is impossible without giving up assets. Terry is just a filler and nothing more.

Nothing right now but deadline Morey will make his moves.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

A trade is unlikely IMO, but out of the options you listed, I can see him trading Canaan for a pick or something.

But honestly if he makes a trade I don't think it'd be any of the options you listed, very unpredictable this Morey is.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

We traded Stromile Swift cause his contract was ugly, unlike D-Mos and TJones.

We traded Juwan Howard cause he was going downhill, unlike DMo and Tjones.

So, I'm not seeing the logic here.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I predict absolutely nothing will happen. And I'm pretty sure I'm right.

20. haydenfisher342

live alittle bro