1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any R.E.M. fans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Jul 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Isabel

Isabel Member

Just picked up the "new" album, "Reveal"... (yeah, I know, at least a year old, but I can save money now by getting it at Sound Exchange)

I hadn't bothered before because I was disappointed by "Up", which is slow and boring with a couple of exceptions. "Imitation of Life" gave me hope that they had returned to their old sound; however, on "Reveal" the first track was decent and then it all started sounding like Up, Part 2. With the exception of "Imitation of Life". If I ever have trouble falling asleep, I now have two CD's that should get the job done. What is up with all these bands that have been around for years getting wussier in their old age? :(

Looks like I'll be mixing the two decent tracks onto my own personal CDs, and after that I guess I have a new drink coaster (to go with the last two they put out, (This Side) Up and New Adventures In Drink Coasters).

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

"Fall On Me" was great and then everything went downhill from there.:D

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I don't really care for any of their new stuff since "What's the frequency Kenneth". Funny thing though - I saw them on Sesame Street this morning - they were singing "Shinny Happy Monsters" :D

I have a small son and don't watch Sesame Street for my own enjoyment. :)

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How in the world are you going to explain Michael Stipe to your kids? :)

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

well I told my son (who is 2) that he is a special man monster that likes other man monsters... :)

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. I used to be a huge REM fan, but the album (and tour) that ended it for me was Monster. What a piece of self-serving crap that CD was. I saw them on the "Life's Rich Pageant" tour in 1987 and they were absolutely stunning. I decided to give them another chance and saw them on the "Monster" tour in 1996 and they were absolutely pathetic. I've avoided them ever since.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I thought "Reveal" was better than "Up" but they'll never again reach the quality of "Automatic for the People," which was, yes, a quiet album for the most part, but still excellent.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I've loved REM in the past, but really haven't paid attention to them in years.

Anybody remember the dB's? They used to tour with REM a lot. Great pop band fronted by Peter Holsapple. Their album "Like This" was one of the best pop efforts from that era. Sadly, it's out of print now.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIINEEEEEEEEEEY HAPPPY PEOOOOPLLEEEEEEEEE!!!

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

It's weird they've been around 20 years and haven't put out a Greatest Hits album (unlike say Aerosmith).

My top 5 REM Songs
    1. Nightswimming
    2. End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
    3. Everybody Hurts
    4. Stand
    5. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite

12. junglerules

junglerules Member

I LOVE "Automatic for the People," "Monster" was ok, and "Up"....ummm....well.....sucked? Yep, that's the word, sucked. Didn't like it all that much. But "Automatic" is still one of my favorite cd's of all time.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

When I was in Athens Georgia five years ago, I ate at Weaver D's soul food restaurant, whose motto, "Automatic for the People" is where REM got the album title. I bought a Tshirt and a coffee cup with their logo and "Automatic for the People" on it.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which album was 'Losing My Religion On'?

I like Monster . . .somewhat

Rocket River

15. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

"Out of time"

...not a big REM fan here...just listen to the hits...

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like REM up until Fall On Me, as well. Then I would Automatic For The People to that list. It's actually a really good album.

That's too bad the new album isn't that good, but I do like Imitation of Life as a song too. I also agree that Up wasn't so hot.

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

"Automatic for the People" is the best! Slow songs, yes, but beautifully done. I actually liked "Monster", though it was different. Things started to go downhill with New Adventures in Bloated Egos, which was a jumble of random stuff that it's hard to care about. I realize they were trying to get an album out fast, unload their contract, and let Bill Berry retire, but why did they have to put so darn many tracks on it? Looks like Bill Berry's departure may have caused a turn for the worse. Are they still limiting themselves to tracks they can use a drum machine on? (look, guys, you don't have to replace him, but have you ever heard of <i>session musicians</i>? Yes, of course you have - all those strings you put on every album - so can you not find one drummer?) I used to theorize that Michael Stipe's gotten a little too happy with his boyfriend and doesn't have enough angst or loneliness to write non-wussy songs. :) It often happens when musicians get older and settle down...

Where I grew up, it was pretty much a requirement that you listen to REM. Though some of their stuff was barely listenable (Shiny Happy People) or full of itself, I actually find myself missing "Out of Time" now (never thought I'd say that - but check the quote in my signature). It had its moments, like "Radio Song".

18. TraJ

TraJ Member

I've got:

Murmur
    Reconstruction of the Fables (or at least that's how they list it on the edge of the CD binder :) )
    Lifes Rich Pageant
    Document

Saw them on the Document tour in 1987. I wish I could go back and do it all over again. The same thing goes for seeing The Smithereens on their Green Thoughts tour.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am SUPERMAN !!!

DaDakota - It's the end of the world as we know it.

20. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Michael Stipe was in Houston at the Social Club-downtown, on Saturday Night.

Don't know why?