1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any potential Texans on the list?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drapg, Feb 27, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Feb. 28 Salary Cap Casualties

Names of interest to Texan fans:
    Blake Brockermeyer, Donald Hayes, Stephen Davis, Dana Stubblefield, Shane Dronett (might take hometown discount?), Jamir MIller (Why the hell was he slated to make $19 million next year? Did the Cardinals sign him to that extension before he was let go and hooked up with Cleveland?)

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Stephen Davis would look sweet as a texan....

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Like 14 million of that was some rediculous bonus for Miller. The Browns cut Rudd, Miller, and Earl Holmes, who's going to play LB for them?

You mentioned Hayes, we was a big name last year and he just never understood Bielicheks system. Wonder if the Texans might be interested, I bet we could get him on the cheap.

I also like your Brockermeyer idea, or maybe Richmond Webb. Casserly said he'd sign over thirty players but not for long contracts or big signing bonuses.

IMO Davis lands here, he'd be a good fit and I think Casserly talks him into it.

By the way, expect some noise coming out of Eagle land up here. They have a huge hole at LB and have been talking about somehow prying Spikes away from the Bungles. I'll believe it when I see it. This doesn't bode well if you'd like to see Roosevelt Colvin in Houston. Philly has him targeted if no Spikes deal can be done and they have the cap room as well.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Philly is not going to break the bank for Colvin, which means we have a decent shot to sign him. Plus, Philly is still trying to negotiate with Shawn Barber (although talks are stalled) and Hugh Douglas, two decently high-priced guys. And don't forget: we have more cap room than them, too. Let them waste time and go after Spikes (and play the restricted free agency/trade game). That gives us more time to negotiate with Colvin.

Personally, I really want the Texans to look long and hard at safety Sammy Knight. If he can be had for a decent deal, he would make a nice (Pro Bowl) upgrade for the secondary (to go along with our Pro Bowl cornerback). Also, assuming Jamir Miller is healthy and hasn't lost a step after tearing his Achilles' tendon (a big if, mind you), why not offer him a deal? Another quality guy I'd like to get is Mike Peterson.

Stephen Davis wouldn't hurt, either.

5. drapg

drapg Member

I'm just drooling over a potential David Carr to David Boston connection. I have yet to read a good reason for AZ letting the man go w/o compensation. Sure he's had health and attitude issues, but the man is an athletic freak, like T.O.!

6. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Word is Philly is not going to resign Douglas. The Giants are making a pretty big push for his services.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ditto on Richmond Webb and Brockermeyer. I'm tired of seeing defenders blow by Pitts and Weary.

Oh, and David Boston is waaay out of our price range. Don't know if he'll be healthy next year either. This year's crop of receivers is pretty thin. Better to wait till next year, and use the top pick on Roy Williams. Or maybe pick up Sloan or BJ later in the draft.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What about Martay Jenkins as a return man. After Mike Lewis he is the best KR/PR in the NFL.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What about Avion Black as a return man?

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Giants, Chiefs, Vikings, you name the team. Hugh Douglas is going to get a nice deal, proven veteran DE's who can play the run, rush the passer and make an immediate impact, are always wanted. He'll price himself out of the Eagles' range.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

defenders have been blowing by webb and brockmeyer far longer than they have pitts and weary.

weary may never be a starter in the league, but he's a good kid who works hard and will provide excellent depth. pitts, otoh, is going to be a stud for the next decade. last year was his fifth of organized football and he was asked to play left tackle on an expansion team. like carr, the numbers may not have been impressive, but it's obvious he has the tools.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like this temporarily, but long-term, he still has a lot to prove...

Yeah, he was the only return man (Lewis sux) to return for a TD, but the jury is still out...