1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any of you guys work in the oil and gas field?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulnhbtx, Feb 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

PM SENT.

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Are you still looking for work?

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes. Need all the help I can get. ;)

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I've done campus recruiting at my company and this is how it work. We'll talk to you, find out a little bit more and if you really look like a potential candidate, we'll take your resume, mark an "A" by it and show it to the potential hiring authority once we get back to the office and still tell you to apply on our website just so your information is there and the process can move a long much faster should we hire you.

On the flip side, if we think there is a low probability that we would hire you, we mark something like "C or D" by your resume and still tell you to apply online. Out of 100 random people that come up to our booth, about 5-7% are viable candidates to hire.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

And i'll add, from a 4 hour career fair, we may only hire 2 or 3 candidates out of the bunch.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Getting a job is more about who you know than what you know. The company I work for now I've been at for going on 5 years now. I applied online for the position the first time and got denied. The 2nd time I got my resume sent from the corporate recruiter who I knew personally and got hired practically on the spot.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Been on both sides of that coin. Ironically enough, I was viewed as a potential candidate by one recruiter and not as one by another recruiter in the same company (conclusion based on context clues). I am going through the interview process with them at the moment.

Shameless plug: if anybody has an internship opening out there for a chemical engineer, I am looking for work. The interview/phone screening process is very frustrating, especially during classes, and I am trying to get it over with as fast as possible.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Breh, maybe you can get me in your company? :grin:

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

My old company has a couple of O&G sales spots that are open. I could forward on a resume for someone. The company is based in Minnesota but I think these positions allow you to live remotely. (texas is a nice spot since there are obvious business opportunities close by)

If anyone is interested let me know.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This is a bit overstated in my experience. At least in general. There are times when it really helps but I think more and more companies put less stock into employee referrals, especially if it's not someone the employee has worked with before.

My current and last job I applied for blindly, knowing nobody in the organizations. My current job is not O&G but is energy related. While job searching I hit up several former colleagues for positions I was interested in at their companies, and I think I got one interview out of about 4 or 5 referrals.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ugh... Where else am i not looking? I'd settle for anything at this point. My resume was done and by dan dorotik and it looks good.... Where are all the phone calls i should be receiving...

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, I think it's because he's running a scam. :grin::grin:

1 person likes this.
  13. Outlier

Outlier Member

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

Must...spread...rep :grin:

15. jae713

jae713 Member

I was laid off last week. :(

If anyone is looking to hire an experienced service technician, please PM with any leads.

16. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Dammit sorry to hear this..

I will ask around.

I hate when anyone in the field takes a hit.. as I took the same hit six weeks ago..

Just keep your head up and start looking ASAP.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Seeing the other hiring thread come up, just wanted a shameless plug update. I snagged a process engineering internship at the end of May for this summer. With a big company too! I guess I bucked the trend pouhe :p

But thank you for warning me about the career fair. Really saved my summer man.

Messaged.

Both of y'all were completely right about the fair. Thanks for giving me the heads up.

#77 jbasket, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Im still looking for a job... Current engineer with two years experience.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That sounds good. What is thw job description?

20. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Same engineering degree and have been applying everywhere cant get an interview.