1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any of you guys work in the oil and gas field?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulnhbtx, Feb 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That's odd. I've been in IT for about 20 years and had about 8 perm jobs and 5 contract gigs. I found one job through a recruiter and and my latest contract job the recruiter hit me up via LinkedIn. But every other job I've had was found through friends.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's so hard to find a new job.

3. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I got my old job seven years ago through a friend who was the VP at another company. Definitely a tough market right now.

4. SK34

SK34 Member

Do any of y'all have any thing that a college student can use to be ahead and learn about the oil and gas industry?

5. Yonkers

Get a degree in something that the O&G field needs. And then make sure you intern at one.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This. Make sure you get the internship. A co-worker of mine had her internship canceled due to the recession, in 2008. She bounced around from one service company to the next.

I keep explaining to my younger brother, who graduates this semester in liberal arts, that an internship puts you light-years ahead of the competition. Even senior research will help you out more than just graduating. Graduating with just a bachelors degree without any accolades tells me that you can read a curriculum flow chart.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm going into SCM and still looking for internships. I have one summer left, got my fingers crossed, hopefully I can get an internship.

I was asking if any of you know or have any resource(s) that can help me prior to having an internship?

Currently, I'm doing a project that is related to O&G so that will give me some exposure for sure.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm a Technical Writer, mostly oil and gas. They finished double-talking me two weeks ago and let me go (I knew they were under orders to cut 7% in the budget; but it was, "No decisions have been made, no decisions have been made....see ya!")

So, looking for a job with more than a few others.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

An engineering degree, or an understanding of the entire supply chain for a particular product and domestic (gas, utilities, gasoline/refined products) or foreign (oil, natural gas liquids) market.

The best way to be current is to follow some of the premium market trade publications like Gas Daily, Megawatt Daily, Oil and Gas Investor, Midstream Business Daily et al. They're fairly expensive, but try to see if your campus library has subscriptions to them to begin with.

PennWell and Enerdynamics publish a lot of "Non-Technical Guides to" different product groups in the industry, Vault also published a pretty decent Energy Industry Career Guide a while back.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Foreign/global products would be crude oil and liquefied natural gas (once it's actually up and running), not NGL. Sorry about that.

11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Lost my job 2 months ago at a small company where I mostly did 3rd party work for a larger oil and gas company. I worked there for three years while working on my degree (still working on it). I just got a much better job with a large company downtown and it looks like this will be a great place to move up.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cameron takes a ton of interns. What's weird to me is that O&G has all the same types of jobs as any other industry but they assume people with a background in O&G are superior, as if it's hard to learn the industry. It isn't.

13. Yonkers

Yeah. I found the same thing. Before I got into O&G people made a big deal about it and it was hard to get in. Once you got in and they saw you had O&G experience, they were a lot more welcoming.
    To be fair there is a specific culture to O&G but like you said, it's not like you can't learn how to work within it.

14. SK34

SK34 Member

How long does a rig usually last?

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I could've introduced you to several people in the O&G industry this past weekend.

16. SK34

SK34 Member

Hey, I apologize, I ended up going super late, ended up at the church for feeding the starving children event.

That is why I was not gonna mention about going to another one and just try to show up rather than say I will and not show up. I feel really bad for that.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Where? Can you make a referral for a fellow Clutchfans member?

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Having worked in one of the O&G Super-majors for a while, I can tell you that while they have frozen experienced hiring due to low oil prices, they are continuing their intern and college hire recruitment. In the past, that has bit them in the behind as they have experienced generational talent gaps due to O&G cycles...so most large oil companies have identified the need to keep the pipeline of talent coming up.

Science and engineering are what will always be in demand...petroleum or mechanical engineering, as well as geologists and geophysicists.

In demand for non-petro technical jobs is anything that has to do with "Big Data" and Digital Security.

The Big Data spaces is a hot topic as O&G companies are trying to squeeze more and more out of their investments, want to identify opportunities faster looking at an array of data across the world, and must be able to more carefully spend capital in the future. Not just due to the oil price cycle, but due to the ever shifting landscape in the O&G world where large state run oil companies have finally hit a talent critical mass and need the super majors less and less in the future (remember: publicly traded oil companies account for a small fraction of the oil production in the world...state run oil companies own the vast majority of the world's reserves, but have utilized the oil companies' technical expertise in partnership to acquire those resources).

The other big space to operate in is Digital Security. Oil companies are some of the most cyber attacked companies on Earth...both by Hacktivism, but also by state controlled cyber attacks as countries seek technical expertise and how they can take advantage of oil companies in contract negotiations by understanding confidential data.

19. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

So I was very lucky to get on with a great company recently. I turned down 4 offers. If anyone is looking to get into the O&G field I can pass you their info.

thanks

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Message me please. How were you able to get so many offers? I can barely get an interview.