1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any of you guys work in the oil and gas field?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulnhbtx, Feb 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Try North Dakota, Denver or whatever part of Pennsylvania Pittsburgh is in, the latter is going bonkers postings-wise with Marcellus and Utica.

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the company i work for was recently purchased by a much larger company that absorbs many businesses like the one i work for.. In order to reduce layoffs, they cut overtime and no longer match 401k.. they also deal in downstream which is not currently effected.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

I was out of commission fall. Trust me, I would have been all over the career fairs and connections and applications. We had a fair yesterday, and I got out 25 resumes, and I truly don't have a crappy resume. I think Alcoa and Dewberry are the places with the highest chances for me at the moment. I don't want to sound cocky, but my resume is definitely above average. We got two more fairs coming up, so I got some confidence.

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I used to work in the oil field.....was laid off a few weeks ago. We just had our first child 2 months ago, it's been tough.

2 people like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think if your on the computer side you should be fine, right?

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Are you registered with campus recruiting at your college's career center? Did any of the recruiters tell you about actual positions and staffing timelines, or just tell you to look at their website? College career fairs are much more of a marketing initiative than a placement one. Start doing "intern" searches on indeed.com, get a Book of Lists for Houston businesses and start churning through the local businesses looking for internship programs or gigs for High School grads with 0-2 experience.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yes, yes (some). I know that whoever says to look at their website is just trying to pad applications. ENVIRON literally had a "we are not accepting resumes, don't have business cards, but apply to our website online!" :rolleyes: (no offense to the peeps that work there, but that is a waste of time at a career fair).

I have definitely sent out a gazillion applications already. I haven't done the indeed.com strategy you said, so I'll try that out. Being in school in the northeast, I don't think about those things. With MM coming up, it'll be... well... very tough, maybe. It's complicated. I would have to say though, based on some peers track record, I believe the career fairs are a little more successful than you are pointing them out to be. However, it is a subjective topic, and I can see your point.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Congrats, Pugs!

Sucks about the job, but I can't think of a better equipped person on CF to weather the storm and land on their feet.

9. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Yo..did you get my email?

10. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I sure did..

I was wondering if you got it.. let me try again..

11. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I checked my spam and reg inbox and didn't get anything. I sent you another one.. let me know if you get it and thanks again!

12. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Hey how are you doing? did you happen to get my email? I was checking for yours and I didn't see anything.

Thanks again

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im talking about the fuel oil terminals and the related port infrastructure areas right on the channel. Yes, I deal with downstream petroleum related by-products.

The companies that deal with actually getting the stuff out of the ground are hurting, but that isnt all there is to the energy sector out here.

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Good morning. I sent you another email with my contact info. Let me know if you get it.

thanks

15. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I got nothing..send it to my username at hotmail.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it! He's definitely been a handful, but I couldn't be happier, or have asked for better. He decided to pop out just in time for the tax deduction :)

It's been quite a storm, but hopefully it turns out to be a positive. I've accepted a financial advising position, which is what I've always wanted to do, so hopefully it works out. Free financial advising, just mention ClutchFans!

Thanks again Xero for the kind words, and motivation.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A large amount of those terminals are chemical terminals, so yeah, they're not hurting at all. Terminals can be a lot more fast pace then refining or chemical plants, and usually pay less. But it's still a great entry level job for someone who's looking to enter the field if they can land one. And even though pay can be lower, it'll still likely be <$20/hr.

18. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Has the current price of oil affected any of you all?

anyone have any lead or bones in the O&G Field?

thanks

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Are you referring to the actual field jobs?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

How did you cats get your first jobs to begin with? Every role I've ever had, even going back to college, came about through months worth of nightly applications. Never gotten anything through friend or family connections, old colleagues are typically no better, either; so I'm just that much more skeptical about threads like this.

Start applying for stuff on Linkedin, I think recruiters on there have a special service that notifies them of frequent submitters because I get a lot of weird (but relevant) unsolicited referrals that way. Bear in mind, most of those guys are just looking for resumes to bulk up their database and market back to companies for long-term staffing relationships, but I've gotten some on-sites.