1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any non Mammal hunters here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Dec 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've always wanted to hunt. I can't fish and am averse to "hunting" large animals I can't process myself and after seeing how my buddies "hunt" deer it just seems unchallenging. I don't come from a hunting background but I do shoot quite a bit. Would like to hunt Duck, Quail and Pheasant.

Any tips for a newbie?

2. smr6

smr6 Member

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It will be cheaper to hunt hogs or alligator. Those are challenging.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Like I said, I don't have the fridge space or enough drunken buddies to help spread the meat around.

Edit: also most hog meat taste like ****.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

with a knife, preferably

6. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

7. Bandwagoner

I'd rather process a hog than a crapton of quail. Also hog meat is great, and so is sausage.

With the hunting you want to do you will need dogs and land that will likely come with experienced hunters.

Probably will have to pay for a guided hunt or something.

8. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

I would advise taking a hunter education course first, you'll learn some very basic stuff that way. Not needed for hunting on a preserve, but needed for "regular" hunting.

Try to join a gun club and practice some shotgun work, skeet and trap, etc., which will come in handy for the bird hunting that you mention.

Always nice to find a mentor to show you the ropes. If you can't find a friend who bird hunts, some of the better shooting preserves will have staff who can function as "guides" and you can learn a lot from them. Again, this will work for pheasants and quail, maybe a little less so for ducks.

Send me a pm if you'd like, I can give you some more ideas if you'd like.

9. Asian Sensation

Cougars. But they might be hunting for you as well so be careful.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You should give fishing another try...
    [​IMG]

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

12. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

A lot depends on how much you want to spend and what type of equipment you already have. If you already have a shot gun you're set for dove and quail. If you want to go duck hunting, its a little more involved. The second dove season starts up on the 20th and last through Jan 8th. You can look in the paper and find a day lease out in Katy or Waller and get put on a field with other hunters. Day leases run around $100 and you'll have to get your hunting license along with the migratory game stamp for doves. If you want to hunt duck, geese, or quail your best best would be to find a guide and have them take you out and do the calling/fetching for you. There are plenty of outfitters that do it and its a little more pricey (probably double) than hunting doves. I'd suggest going to shoot some skeet or sporting clays to get some practice on leading birds and there are several place around town that do it and even let you borrow a shotgun if you need one.