1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Internet Better than Comcast in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

ah here you go.

[​IMG]

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

For the last two months, i've been getting slow ass ****. Less than 1mbp and I am upping pretty fast at 3mbp. I probably either need to fix the wires or switch the modem. I've been too lazy. I can't get on the playstation or stream **** good.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Depending on how congested your nearest cable node is, you'll get powerboost for longer than usual times than they advertise. There are methods to "cap" the burst of speeds people receive with a "token bucket" so you won't get all of the available bandwidth on the node coming from the hub. If they don't do that, there isn't much of a real incentive to get you to upgrade your connection lol.

It's a great network management tool since almost all cable companies right now need to save frequency space to deliver TV channels. It's also a stupid gimmick to inflate speedtest results to trick consumers into thinking they're getting what they are paying for. "Traffic shaping" is what it's known as, and Comcast has licensed out the technology to other providers

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Thanks guys.. I am now waiting for the dumbasses to come out to the house. This is one of the few times it has worked recently.

5. VanityHalfBlack

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I've had constant trouble with Comcast through the years, but the only other game in town (the one my wife uses at work) is apparently even less reliable.

I will say that their customer service is quite good, it's just down too frequently.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Uverse may not be as fast as Comcast, but it's plenty fast enough. And pretty much 100% uptime -- the only downtime I've had happened when my router was damaged by some kind of power surge and had to be replaced.

Uverse Internet is incredibly reliable. I've been on it for 4 years, I know.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I like U-Verse

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

**** Comcast and their cable monopoly.
    I think I'm up to my 20th tech right now. Not exaggerating at all. LITERALLY 20 techs. Every single one of them has a different story about why my internet does not work.

Finally, after the 20th tech realized what the problem is, he b****es about how he can't fix it and then calls some non-Comcast contractor to drill a new line into the house. That guy shows up and b****es about Comcast and their ****ty tech service and leaves without doing a damn thing.

WHAT THE ****. I can't stand these ****ing thieves. Why are they allowed to have a cable monopoly here?

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Windstream ftw

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why don't you ditch Comcast for an alternative?

12. RedRedemption

I'm moving to U-Verse.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had Comcast in Houston, have Uverse now in Austin. Comcast was faster and I never had many issues with it other than having to swap out the modems every now and then. Uverse is plenty fast, but I have the Max Turbo plan. Got a promo when I moved for $44.95/month:

[​IMG]

14. RedRedemption

That's pretty much my Comcast speed right now.
    Kind of sucks that there is a monopoly here on cable in Houston.

So glad I'm going to leave this abomination of a company.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Was just going to post the same thing.
    Windstream ftw

16. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

everythinng else is better than comcast.