1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Freelancers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lurch, May 12, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

So is it something you add to your resume? How will these bigger future transcription jobs know you have experience and is there a way to skip ahead to bigger money. How much do you currently earn if not $1 an hour since you've been doing this a while?

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

When you say "Article Writing", what exactly do you mean? I know there are a lot of different ways in which Freelancers can approach article writing. What is your approach?

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I make adult videos. I'm the director as well as the main actor.

4. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Yeah, you can put that in your credentials, usually the more established trans companies/bigger freelancer groups require you pass some sort of credentials, then you complete their own tests and formats.

Also, you can search for individual clients, like students, researchers or professors who would want something done in bulk and long term. You bid for the job and when successful, you are still required to give a free sample so they can gauge your quality. I usually do the bidding through websites like Odesk, Elance, etc.

These days I can charge at around $3.5 per 6 minute or $35 us dollars per audio hour. There's a woman I saw who charges 5$ per 6 minutes at Fyver.
    When I take subcontracts, it usually hovers around 2.5 $ per 6 minutes.

Keep in mind, I'm living outside the US so there will always be a significant difference in my own rates. Like if I could charge $3.5 per 6 minutes, I'm sure a person living in the USA would necessarily need to charge at around 3 or 5 times than that to earn decently.

It depends, if it's SEO, you would outmostly have to follow a certain set of rules and formatting because the article would have to adhere to SEO, so that it appears in the search engine as prioritized as possible.

As in they are really particular about the number of words you put, the grammar you use, like if the client said, "Put 'Houston Rockets merchandise, apparel' 10 times on the article." You would have to find a way to insert that sentence even if it means making the article less coherent.

Personally these days, I don't do much of SEO anymore, unless it's really lucrative, I feel my "creative" juices kinda bog down when i do it consistently.

So I guess it depends on your preference, if you like a more traditional writing experience where you have more freedom and identity, I believe it's best to write more on the blog side of freelancing.

5. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I remember before on ODesk, there was this job where have you to compile "Black Booty HD Videos" with a budget of $2k I was almost tempted to grab the job. :grin:

6. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Umm $35 an hour is a lot... That's more than what I make as an engineer in the US.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

How many years experience do you have?

9. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Keep in mind "audio hour" is different from "per hour"

In transcription when you say audio hour, it's like "I can do one or two audio hours in a span of eight hours."

So you're not getting paid by the hour, but you get paid by the audio hours you complete.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Almost 2.

11. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

12. FTW Rockets FTW

That's not bad for entry level.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is your company hiring? :)

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's not possible to do eight audio hours in a span of eight hours?

15. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

If you're type exceptionally fast and have really accurate hearing, I think that's possible.

I usually average 1 or 2 hours a day. The quality of the audio, number of speakers, accent, diction, etc., affects your speed a lot.

16. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

If you type exceptionally fast, I mean.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I thought this was your living? How do you get by just putting in 2 hours of work?

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Like I said, I live outside the USA, but I get paid in dollars, I change it to my currency, then the difference in cost of living pretty much takes care of the rest. ;)

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

My ex-gf has a lot of experience with this.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I write freelance. It is tough to find clients who are willing to pay a decent amount.