1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anxiety/Depression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreat, Mar 10, 2021.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Anyone else dealing with this stuff lately? Mostly anxiety for me feeling more worried ever since the pandemic started. Staying home and working from home has made this wayyyyyy too much has made it worse I feel like.

Has anyone felt it creeping in on them too? If so, how you been dealing with it?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Find a large outdoor crowded event that doesn't include excessive alcohol and loud talking/singing/screaming.

3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Oh yeah. Wife and I both have been going through some ****. It's not that events or circumstances are that bad, either. We just suck as a couple lately. And it's slowly driving me mad.

I don't honestly know what the solution is. Know we need to do things together again. Get out of the f'ing house and into nature (me especially). Forgive and forget. Laugh. Unwind. Roll with the uncertainty and work together towards building a f-u-t-u-r-e.

All easier said than done.

NotInMyHouse, TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Exercise.

Anything to get your heart rate up for 45 minutes or more. Just take a long walk daily.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I had some issues here and there, but I mostly coped by taking some calculated risks here and there. For example, I have been going out to eat in places with outdoor dining areas. I usually try to go to less crowded places as well, I try to stay away from very crowded places. I did take a trip in November to Utah/Colorado. Went to three national parks and we drove my new truck over there, took our dog with us and it was a lot of fun. I don't have older individuals to look after, it's just my wife and I at home.

I am starting to get some "pandemic fatigue" just because I'd like for normality to come back. I go walk my dog and try to bike every once in a while.

Best of luck to you and your wife bro.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I had what were probably anxiety issues for the first few months. Initially, learning about rona made me more anxious, but after a while it made me feel better. The more I knew about it, the more I could regain my (illusion of) control over my life.

I agree with others above though. Get outside as much as possible. Go to a park, be around other people, talk to them - just don't get too close. Try to do as "normal" stuff as possible without it being too risky.

And of course, if it starts to feel overwhelming, talk to a professional who can help.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yes. I always travel in february though. we stuck to that and a week in Costa Rica did a lot for me.

It's just a hard time. However, many folks have it much worse than I do.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

Definitely know where you're coming from. Covid times generally have brought on a lot of stress, anxiety, and depression. On top of just the existence of it and everything that comes with it, also been dealing with long term layoffs/unemployment in our household, as well as a family member getting diagnosed with terminal cancer.

What has helped in dealing with all of these issues is taking a step back and assessing what I can actually control vs. what I can't control, and then getting busy addressing only those things I can control. There is a saying that you can either be preoccupied or get occupied.

1) I did everything I could to find a vaccine for my mom and dad. They are primary high risk people in my life, so getting them vaccinated has brought on some peace of mind. The majority of my Covid related concerns were assuaged when they got that done.

2) I can't control the economy, but I can help my loved one get their resume in good order, and encourage them to train up on something else to maybe find a job in another field. Everyday if I know I did everything within my control to help out then I can sleep peacefully at night.

3) I can't cure cancer, but I can make myself available to lend a hand to the family to watch over their kids while they are getting treatment, getting groceries delivered, or mowing their lawn.

All in all, focus on what you can control and do that, and don't worry about things that are out of your hands. On top of that, enjoy the hobbies and other outlets that bring you peace. For me its smoking meat and fishing.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Nothing that Paxil and Xanax can’t fix

TWS1986 and Xerobull like this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Uhhh, in no particular order

1) Walking my dog when I'm working from home for like 20 mins
    2) Exercising an hour every day at 4 am
    3) Drugs (Wellbutrin XL, Haldol)
    4) My wife
    5) 12 step meetings for pain and Al Anon
    6) My dog
    7) Friends
    8) Therapist once a week <--- this is crucial for me along w/ drugs and lots of drugs (see above). ;)

And then just on a general note, yeah dude it's been tough on a lot of people myself included. COVID has upended my whole way of life and I've had to make adjustments. It still kinda sucks though because I can't see all my friends at once, and with vaccines coming along nicely in their rollouts lately maybe it won't be too long before we can all do small get togethers. And then don't get me started on our ****ing rotation schedule of working from home one day, then back at the office the next and repeating that process. It ****s with me at times.

11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I feel for you man, I'm sorry you're going through that. We've done a decent job of getting out of the house, but trying to balance taking precautions and having a life too. If anything, with not as many friends getting together with me these days (Even on small 1 on 1's)... wife and I have spent a lot of time together. I've got the opposite problem. I could use more friend time.

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’ve been consuming copious amounts of hard alcohol. I can’t say for sure that it’s helping, but I’m gonna push through until I know for sure.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

i have a solution that has helped me through the years... but at the cost of your vision

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Posts like this deserve more than a 'like'. This is an extremely honest and helpful post. Thanks, man.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been dealing with depression off and on the past year. Not doing Judo has been very hard along with not being able to play gigs and to a lesser extent not traveling. In early June things were very hard with both COVID-19 and the damage done to my neighborhood following the death George Floyd. The last month has been especially hard as I lost someone close to me (not to COVID but the autopsy was inconclusive on the exact cause of death) and two friends lost parents to COVID.

I agree with what others have said exercise is very important and getting outside is important. I kayaked a lot this summer and Fall and that really helped. During the winter I've been hiking and snowboarding but mostly been striking my heavy bag. Also helping over people is good too and if you can focus on getting help to others that can do a lot to your own mood. Staying in touch with people too and not just family or your pod. I've been spending a lot of time on Zoom with friends from college and childhood who I hadn't kept up with as much.

Main thing though is to have hope that this too shall pass.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just make sure to use proper lubrication and stay hydrated.

body slam, TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Spring is coming. Make use of that sunshine and keep on moving.

I also have sleep issues, so my days are kind of flipped. Fortunate to have an employer who looks past that, but obviously unhealthy on my end.

I suffer from motivation issues when I'm in a rut, and this has been a crazy long rut. I guess now is the time to exercise more, which sucks if you haven't been faithful in routine. The obvious benefits are that it takes you out of your mental world as it gets the blood pumping. It also relieves stress and other things.

That kind of ties back to self maintenance and self care. I think a lot and can easily ruminate, often digging up mistakes and repeating them. Try to dig up good memories that go along with the bad and replay those reruns 3 times for every bad wipeout your mind loves reliving. It's also a good practice to learn forgiveness, either with others or with yourself. It's almost a muscle at this point, and I think as we all reintegrate in work and casual, that social muscle will need to be built up. First step is from within. And no, it's not an order to "fix yourself" and enforce a facade of happiness. More acceptance and moving on than "fixing". And if you're living with others, enforcing "self care" does not mean a rigid "me time". Seeking distance is perfectly normal, but an aggressive justification of it isn't healthy and likely a symptom of depression.

Been doing a lot of research into stocks (macro) and the economy. I don't know if that counts for doom scrolling or a delusion of control, but I'm telling myself it's for a good reason and that's been my hobby that keeps me connected to the world.

#17 Invisible Fan, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    FrontRunner and TWS1986 like this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

oh really, do tell? are other costs hairy palms? :)

Jontro likes this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Appreciate that man, I'm glad that what I shared could make an impact on here. Look in general, I know people have their fair share of jokes and everything in threads like these, and I do too... that's how I cope with anxiety and depression (and I've been dealing with this **** for 16 + years)... but this really is a cool place to come together and share **** that we might not share with many other people. Sports and this hangout forum are some of my therapies too, I forgot to list those in my original post. That and screwing with people in D&D is particularly enjoyable.

I'm always an open book around here (usually more by private message), but I try to share what I can and I try to be as open and honest as possible without giving my full name , street address and social :). If anyone reads this and wants to message privately, feel free.

#19 TWS1986, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

mostly weak knees and short term memory loss