1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Davis has to go????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wattsupdogg, Aug 5, 2000.

1. MManal

MManal Member

But they don't free up cap space do they!?

Oh great, thats a heck of a plan. Toronto had cap space this season only to be turned down by Rashard Lewis, Austin Croshere and Cuttino Mobley. I bet they're dying to go down that road again.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

I lost my last game too but I'll go play my next one!

------------------
    Rockets For Better, For Worse......'til death do us part!

3. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I think toronto would really want our exception. they want mark jackson, and getting the exception would give them a legitimate shot at getting him AND mo taylor. bryce drew can give them some starting minutes also and i think its a more than adequete backup. davis is unhappy there, we need a PF. this deal makes too much sense that it proly wont happen. i would even throw carlos rogers in the deal. carlos i think will get lost on our bench next season.

keon clark is also a good of a player to get for that trade exception, although i prefer antonio davis. antonio davis is like O harringtons hustle RB and D combined w/ half of kenny Thomas's offensive skillz. not a bad combo. keon clark i would put 2nd on the list if we could try for antonio davis.

------------------
    --TEX

4. MManal

MManal Member

Antonio Davis would be a great fit, just cant see it happening though from Toronto's side.

------------------

Draftsource.net

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

If Toronto really wanted Mark Jackson or Howard Eisley then why don't they just trade Davis to Utah or Indiana for them, why go through all the trouble of trading him for the exception and then using the cap space to sign a point guard when they can just trade Davis straight up for a point guard?

I'm sure Utah would love to have Davis as their center and I'm sure Indiana would definitly love to have Antonio Davis back.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

6. MManal

MManal Member

Yup exactly New Jack and also to do it the way suggested in this thread, it would require two different trades. They would have to trade for the 4.5 mil exception then on top of that have to do another trade with either Indy or Utah. Who is to say that just to get the 4.5 mil exception the Jazz or Pacers would agree to it? The Raptors would be a lot better off just making a straight trade if they really want either of these players that badly.

------------------

Draftsource.net

7. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

i live in Toronto and there is no way Antonio is going to be delt for Drew & an exception. Hell No....Vince will be very unhappy about that.....since the Raptors are getting Taylor.....they will probably get rid of Oak& Christie......they do not really like raptor management......and if Oak gets traded then Antonio Davis will ask for a trade.......so a package deal sounds good......

Antonio Davis, Oak the garbage man, Christie&draft pick...........for..........Cato,Shandon Anderson,Drew&Exception

[This message has been edited by VinceCarter (edited August 05, 2000).]

8. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Vince, I think that thin air up there has gotten to ya!

------------------

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Well, there goes what little optimism I had left. Looks like we should look elsewhere for our "stud PF". And you can forget about that last part, Vince. Rudy ond Co. would have to be smoking the same stuff you are to pull that deal.

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Antonio is going to be 32 this year, as posted by Bobby asterisk. I think that about ends this discussion.

------------------
    Nothin left to do
    Too many things were said
    To ever make it feel
    Like yesterday did

11. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

And...............what he neeeds to be put out to pasture? Don't give me this BS that he doesn't fit in with our rebuilding process, cause we still have to have some horses to pull the wagon! Not like he's on his last leg, hell the Dream was winning championships at this age!

------------------

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I guess that didn't quite end the discussion... [​IMG]

Anyway, despite his age, I believe Antonio may be in the prime of his career, and if there were a cheap and convenient way for us to get him (which there isn't), it would ultimately benefit the team.

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

13. ROCKET'NTOLEDO

this guy is sweet....let's get him!

------------------
    If all babies are pretty, how come their so many ugly people in the world?
    ----SIR CHARLES

14. DaneB

DaneB Member

I personally think this trade could work out. I remember a little while back, Toronto was looking to get Bryce Drew. I think this was when he played a few games starting in place of Stevie.

15. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

DaneB are you say'in Bryce Drew&Exception for Antonio Davis......i'm sorry man, but forget it......Antonio Davis is Toronto's second best player to Vince Carter right now.......i don't think Drew is anywhere close to putting up number's like Antonio Davis..(I KNOW IT"S HARD TO COMPARE A POINT GUARD TO A FOWARD, but looking plainly at stats it does'nt work)..it would be like giving up Mobley for Alvin Williams ..... which i don't think any Houston fan would even consider doing.....so as long as Houston is not willing to give up anybody else with Drew .....this trade is nothing but a dream......cause personally i think Antonio would fit perfectly to Rudy's system......Davis can still run and he' plays D on guys much bigger than him......when Toronto played the Lakers last season Davis did a good job on Shaq!

Anyway, Davis can score more than most of you guys think......laST season the Raptors were kissing McGrady's A$$ and then there was Vince....they took majority of the shots.

------------------
    $$ out $$

16. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Over his career he averages about 11 pts. We're not saying Drew for Davis straight up, we're adding the exception. With that addition would equal a pretty nice player plus open up cap space for the raptors to sign another good player without taking on any high price players in a trade straight up for Davis, get the picture?!

------------------

17. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I asked it before and I will ask again, someone please fill me in on why every Rocket acquisition has to be under the age of 25-26? To make our growing pains that much tougher?

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

18. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

While shooting about 45% from the floor and averaging 11.5 pts and about 9 rebounds a game isn't star quality it wouldn't be bad to have while giving up Drew and the exception. And who knows, with Francis and Mobes going to the hole and Davis crashing the boards, it could be sweet!

------------------

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Probably under the belief system that Steve won't have enough experience to lead the Rockets to the top within the next few years. Dream, Zeke and Jordan were in the league for a while before leading their teams to Championships.

Duncan, Bird and Magic did it at much younger ages.

Were Bird, Duncan and Magic more effective early in their careers than Zeke, Dream and Jordan? Or the situations were different, so that no valid comparison can be made?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited August 06, 2000).]

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.denvernuggets.ws/news.htm

Denver, Colorado (www.DenverNuggets.ws) With Worries over Keon Clark's inconsistency and a perceived lack of effort to improve his game, the Denver Nuggets are still actively looking to trade Clark. Earlier this month a deal that would have sent Clark to the woeful Los Angeles Clippers fell through and sent the Nuggets scrambling to find a home for him.

Clark is in the third year of his three year rookie contract and the Denver Nuggets are concerned that they may lose him to free-agency at the end of the 2001-2002 National Basketball Association season if they exercise a club option after this season. The option calls for Clark to receive a 26.1% increase over this years salary. Clark's rookie season was plagued by inconsistency and he missed the final 28 games of the lockout shortened season due to a collapsed lung.

Possible teams interested in Clark's services include the Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, and the Orlando Magic. Widespread reports of Clarks lack of dedication to his game were solidified in the middle of last season after Clark admitted that he has never really focused on improving his skills. Clark averaged 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds for the Nuggets last season.

I happen to really like Keon Clark. High potential player.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.