1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Davis: Harden not a max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Nov 29, 2012.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You literally just changed your argument to "what are the odds that Harden gets 43% of his FG assisted in the first 2 games in a row?"

That is not only irrelevant, but blatantly mind numbingly r****ded.

That's like saying what are the chances that Kobe scores 30 points two games in a row. Since there must be some secret formula in those two games that lets him score 30 points in a row, and not a point more or less. Therefore, unicorns exist.

That's your argument in a nut shell.

2. Allegro

Allegro Member

No, I did not change my argument; I merely unpacked them for you. But you are determined not to understand what I say. Shrug. To paraphrase a saying, "it's impossible to make someone understand something when his ego depends on his not understanding it".

3. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Harden gets exposed when he goes up against any elite defensive team that gameplan for him. He is not good enough to be a first option. He is fools gold.

That being said he is worth the max if you already have a 1st option. There are worse max players.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Except you did change your argument. From "He averaged 43% assisted FG in his first 2 games" to "omg his assisted FG was 43% in his first and second game! What are the odds of that! Therefore, Harden isoball started game 3".

I don't even know why I bother, so I probably am going to stop here. Your post history suggests all you care about is Lin so it's pointless arguing with you.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Dude, I've got no dog in this hunt between you ad flamingdts. I'm seriously trying to understand your point here. Is it that the first two games don't count because they're not "isoball" like the past 13 games?

The data I posted earlier shows the first two games show no statistical difference with the other games because they're all equally random. There were three games where the afg% was 0%, but that doesn't mean there's a common strategy used for those games.

If your argument that hardens performance in the first two games should be thrown out because the afg% was the same and therefore proves a consistent strategy that is markedly different than the rest of the games, I don't think you're going to when that argument since the data doesn't show a consistent trend between games 1/2 and 3-15. Maybe another stat besides afg% proves what you're saying....but afg% isn't going to do it for you.

6. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I am in favor of Harden's iso play because it will help him hone his skills but it should not dominate the game...it becomes predictable.

The goal is to make Harden our go to guy...they can accomplish that with the help of his teammates. Ball movement is a healthy part offense...it throws off the defense...creates better look at the basket...therefore creates easier basket.

Regarding the contract, if you negotiate for it and they give it to you, then, it's well deserved. We are now in the era of (mostly) paying for potential. Harden's potential to be great is not at all remote.

BUT, no one man can win a game.

...except Michael Jordan. :grin:

7. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

whats with players talking about another players contract these days

well ex player in Davis

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There are two big reasons that make him a worthy max player:

1. His age! He has already shown so much skill at such a young age, all while improving every single year he has been in this league.

2. Security! If you want a player like Harden long term as a team like Houston you have to show him the money. Now we have him for 6 years guaranteed as a player to build around and attract other big time players.

Sure, his contract is based on his potential rather than his past. But with a team like the Rockets and a 23 year old guy like Harden, that is exactly the right decision. It seems like his floor is an all-star-level player - and his ceiling is... well I´m not ready to say Jordan or Kobe, but it is pretty damn high.