1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Daniels?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, Dec 23, 2002.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston trades: SF Glen Rice (9.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 28.8 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.2 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Antonio Davis (13.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    PF Hakeem Olajuwon (13.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -2.7 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Toronto trades: PF Antonio Davis (13.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    PF Hakeem Olajuwon (13.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    Toronto receives: SF Glen Rice (9.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 22 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (6.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 16 games)
    Change in team outlook: +2.7 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Toronto being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Toronto had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

OK, I stop with the trade ideas for today.

What this does for us

Good, strong power forward/c with acceptably short fat contract.
    Frees playing time for Posey/Nachbar
    Improves defense at both pf and c
    Immediate results.

What this does for Toronto

Get player for Hakeem's contract.
    Get cap room from Rice's contract for a team really needing it. Team gets room to shop or sign some younger legit players and draft picks.
    Gets scorer(s) to play with VC

Toronto ideas spurred by note in Sun paper Toronto was shopping for someone to pick up Hakeem's deal before he officially retires.

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, shoot. I messed up the thread title. Maybe someone will fix it (should be Antonio DAVIS, duh.) AD would be a good player for us, and give us some more options.

3. Sane

Sane Member

Well, actually, it wouldn't be bad getting Antonio Daniels either (assuming we can unload Moochie too). A backcourt of Steve and Mobley backed up by Daniels would be nice. He's a combo guard and is effective in distributing the ball and can score plenty too. He plays decent, but not GREAT, defense.

Antonio Davis is a good idea. I think Toronto would actually do that deal if, in the next 4 or 5 games, MoT shows that he can score again. Rice and MoT give them some much needed depth. But I'm thinking they'd rather have Cato than MoT. Since they're taking the same contract anyway, maybe they prefer a C, because they'd have no C with Antonio Davis leaving.

Maybe if we throw in Cato and they throw in Jerome Williams? Basically, Toronto gain money and offense in this deal, while losing their leader Davis and their backup PF Jerome Williams. We lose our backup C (although, he's starter quality), our backup PF, and our starting SF who has an appealing contract.

If an Antonio Davis/Jerome Williams frontcourt combo is X units better than a Cato/MoT combo, then is Rice's appealing contract, production, and experience worth X units?

4. Sane

Sane Member

Oh, btw, PLEASE don't come in with the "we don't need to trade, why ae you proposing trades aren't we good enough, let them MESH" comments.

Were just specualting. We're wondering if it would be a good trade. I promise, no one will pull the trigger on it.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think its a bad trade for us. It makes no sense.

Davis has 4 years or so left on a $12 mil per year contract. Thats alot for a player that is in his mid 30s already.

By the time we are ready to seriously challenge for a title (another year or so), Davis will will be no better than a backup to us. $12 mil is expensive for a backup.

Also, you are giving up one of our best perimeter threats that keep defenses honest.

Last, this trade, puts EG back on the bench for a year or so and will r****d his development.

IMO, I think Rudy would much rather have KT than Davis. That being said, Rudy had to trade KT so EG and MT could get playing time. Why would he want to bring in another PF?

6. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Antonio Daniels???

heh heh, first thought I had was some hybrid XAVIER McDANIEL and ANTONIO DAVIS CLONE. If we can clone Dolly, why not more X-mans and Antonio Davises???

But, speculatively, I DO like Antonio Davis. I think he's your "PHYSICAL" presence under the boards that helps you out in many games (e.g. against the Heat). Toward the end of his career, I imagine, he'll probably get the annually-renewable contract and bounce around teams to get the most for his market value.

Who knows? Only time will tell.

:D

theSAGe

7. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Stop with the Hakeem Olajuwon crap. If he wanted to stay with Houston he should not have left for Toronto. Dream has so stupid and thought that he should get payed all that money even though his career was over. He should have just retired with Houston, anyway I don't want him back on our team anyway. Dream is not going to teach Yao anything he would not know how to do anyway.

8. tariq

tariq Member

What is the use. Rudy will just sign him to a big contract and then he'll vanish like the moochster

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe codell is right about his contract (I am never good at this kind of things). If contracts aside, I like Davis's game. Look at our front court players:

Yao, Cato, Collier, Griffin, Taylor, Rice, Posey, Morris, Hawkins, Nachbar.

Who, except for Cato, can be described as a "physical" player? We may end up getting the reputation of the Spurs: Soft and Nice.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good idea -- get a guy with a bad back (Hakeem) and a worse back (AD). Worse? yes, because he is supposed to be earning his inflated contract but is only marginally healthier than Vince.

11. SLA

SLA Member

Easy, you're right. Nobody is physical at all. Cato's role as a role player is to beat people up. All the other guys are too soft. Yao is becoming more aggressive. We could use a big guy who uses his all of his size. But this trade would never happen.

Why does everybody hate Moochie?

12. Sane

Sane Member

Why is ANYONE assuming that Hakeem has ANYTHING to do with this trade?

His contract is running, and Toronto want to trade it. He will not ever play again. It's just a contract.

Before you start whining like hell, find out what's going on.

That being said, AD does make 12mill per year for 4 years, but look at it this way: Rice makes 20M on his contract, and Mo makes around 30M. AD makes 48M total vs 50M for those two.

But, reading some of the responses, I changed my mind. I assumed that AD would go to the bench next year for Griff, and back Griff and Yao up. But I don't want a MAX player backing our guys up.

If Griff continues to add strength next offseason, then MoT will have to be traded. But till then, I guess we can stick with this rotation. Although, it's not a good thing for your weakest position to be PF in the west.

13. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

The problem is; Antonio Davis is worth more than both those players. Toronto won't do that trade.

1. Davis brings very good intangibles with his leadership, and hard work ethic.
    2. He is a top rebounder in this league.
    3. Toronto doesn't have anyone, who can replace Davis; they woudn't want to take on MoT, who would be a big downgrade to AD, and still demand a hefty price.
    4. Glen Rice is a pure shooter, who is on the decline. Toronto didn't resign Dell Curry for a reason. Too many shooters on that team even with Lamond Murray, and Vince Carter out of the lineup.
    5. Come playoff time, Antonio Davis is worth twice as much as he is now; if you look back in the past Toronto playoffs, you'll see he was Toronto's second scorer (behind Carter).

Putting that aside; adding Davis to the Rox would be ideal in my opinion. He is exactly what this team needs.

14. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Just to add...

AD would do wonders with Ming; both on and off the court.

15. Sane

Sane Member

For Griffin too...