1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-war protesters taunt wounded soldiers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Totally agree. This isn't like the Vietnam protests where they are calling the soldiers "Baby Killers" but instead they are protesting the policies that got them wounded. I think its in bad taste because its using the soldiers and Walter Reed as a prop rather than being concerned about their recovery. For everyone, both anti-war and pro-war, who want to help the soldier's recover the last thing they should be doing is distracting them and the hospital staff by protesting, including counter demonstrations.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

We'll Basso thinks it is better to assisnate somebody then participate in a protest...so that tells you where he's coming from.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last Gasp of the Dying Liberal
    Batman: (sucking air)...can't...support...must distort...thread titles...more...important than...issue...

4. basso

Supporting Member

that's not at all what i said. you made a completely unrelated point by way of comparison. they're all idiots. if you need some sort of grand scale if idiocy to coompare them, knock yourself out...

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

totally agree. im against the war in iraq but protesting infront of walter reed is pretty bad. i dont like seeing a hospital for wounded troops politicized.

take it to crawford folks. thats where the guy you have beef with is. choppin' cedar at the "western whitehouse" :rolleyes:

leave the soldiers in peace and quiet.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

But it's okay for the president to go have a photo op salute and "good job" handshake for the newspapers and TV cameras?

But I agree

The protestors could find a better place to protest.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's because, in this case, the way they are trying to get their "message" across is totally inappropriate and thus taking away from the point of their "message".

If I were an antiwar protester, I would be pretty angry about this, like many of the antiwar folks in this thread are.

8. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

You ought to be banned for that, I see how the radical right treats decorated vetrans, see: John Kerry, Max Cleland and John McCain.

You and Rove should be used as Iraqi sniper bait, them maybe you can actually do something USEFUL to support our troops--keeping the 7.62 sub-sonic projectile out of their skulls and in yours.

9. Sishir Chang

I agree somewhat but that's a different issue.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Virtually everybody here agrees these folks are extremists and it's inappropriate. So whats your point? My point is both sides have extremists. We spend so much damn time covering extremists in this country that it appears we are a country full of them.

You and your henchmen regularly accuse us liberals of posting only negative things about Iraq and Dubya. Well... how does posting this article make you any better?

Everybody here agrees this protest is in poor taste. Nothing to see. Move along.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Oh, I get it. You're insane now. Cool.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050826...mJJ14ms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

Last gasp, indeed.

Ignoring the substance? I said three things in my post:

1. Protesting outside Walter Reed is inappropriate.
    2. This is not Vietnam. Anti-war protestors are not protesting or disrespecting the troops. They are protesting in support of them.
    3. basso's a liar.

I'm not you, basso. I don't find one weird, nitpicky excuse to not respond to the substance of an argument or article or post or thread and then run away when challenged. I've spent more than a year answering your posts and your questions and have never received the same favor. How, in the face of that, do you get around to saying I'm 'typically' bashing the messenger instead of responding to substance - particularly when I not only don't 'typically' do that, I never do that and I didn't do it here?

Right. You're insane. Cool.

12. Sishir Chang

I don't usually appeal to the Moderators but may I suggest a rule to keep posters from referring to the themselves in the third person. :rolleyes:

BTW Jimmy likes what he sees.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I'm against the war but they shouldn't be protesting outside a hospital. Poor taste. Go setup outside the Pentagon, Capital or White House.

14. basso

Supporting Member

Like so much, it's a question of emphasis. in your post, you make one small comment about the issue, then dive into bashing me, bush, etc. the issue is whether the protests are inappropriate- wouldn't hurt you to focus on that a bit more.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I certainly do. That is the reason, I'm sure, that "the WaPo is ignoring a story like this in its back yard, or why the NYTimes gives such prominence to the sheehan story, but doesn't report on this." (basso) They have the good taste not to give coverage that would encourage more protests of this nature. That doesn't fit basso's "anti-anything possibly critical of Bush and the War and Occupation of Iraq" mode of operations.

It's getting pretty tiresome, basso. You posted a very good read with the blog thread recently. I hope LTC Kurilla recovers well from his wounds. Heck, he may end up at the soon-to-be-closing-and-it's-perverse, isn't it- Walter Reed. It'd be nice if you did more of that sort of thing, and less shilling for the far-right Bush extremists, in my opinion.

And, by the way, the protesters think they are taunting the Bush Administration, not the soldiers. I think, in this case, they are misguided, but you could at least attempt a little objectivity, basso.

Keep D&D Civil!!

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

What pure utter bullsh*t. T_J, every time you post in the D&D, you spit in the face of the truth.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well, Bob Dole's '96 campaign still affects me to date. :p

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What else do you want me say about it, crazy? I said it's in poor taste. It is. It wouldn't "hurt" me to focus on it more if there were anything else to say but there isn't. By the way, I'm almost sure it wouldn't hurt you to stop lying.

When you tell your usual lie about protestors being anti-troops -- and even "taunting" them -- that merits mention as well. Your headline's a lie and you're a liar. Further, the lie's utterly repugnant, you've been telling it for over a year, and I'm going to call you out every time you do it.

And, you know, of course, you should be ashamed of yourself. You're not, I know, but you should be.

19. basso

Supporting Member

whether they're "taunting" is, to some degree at least, subjective. i find it so, and i'm sure others do as well. not sure how that counts as a "lie."

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Dude, you have no idea what I was talking about. I was responding to basso who said everybody was just piling on him, ie "shooting the messanger" and ignoring the message (the article he posted). I was pointing out that people had been talking about the article and not just exposing his BS.