1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti Immigrant/Muslim Big Seller in Gemany ATW Explained?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Apparently Germany is caught in a frenzy of anti-immigrant/Muslim bashing. It appeals to their version of the Tea Party. or the Arizona anti-immigrant types. This may explain Jackie's recent obsession with Muslims.

Anti-immigrant book a hit in Germany Berlin
    December 20, 2010
    Thilo Sarrazin Photo: Reuters
    An anti-immigrant polemic written by a former central banker is among the Christmas best-sellers in Germany and its author has become a millionaire, according to media reports.

About 1.25 million copies of Thilo Sarrazin's Germany Does Itself In have been sold since its release in August, publisher DVA said.

In the book, Sarrazin (right) wrote that Germany was being made ''more stupid'' by poorly educated Muslim immigrants and their offspring, and accused the country's 4 million Muslims of failing to integrate. ''If I want to hear the muezzin's call to prayer, then I'll go to the Orient,'' he wrote, saying letting in millions of ''guest workers'' in the 1960s and '70s was a ''gigantic error''.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/antiimmigrant-book-a-hit-in-germany-20101219-191w6.html

2. trustme

trustme Member

This has been known by everyone on the board for a while now (ATW's obsession with hating Muslims/Islam). But I guess it helps shed more light on the details. Thanks.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This isn't limited to Germany. It's happening (as far as I know) in Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and France.

I've had my google alerts on for these things in Europe and frankly you could start 3-4 threads a day easily with the amount of hatred that's going on according to the media. Fortunately, I feel it's cooling down very slightly now so maybe it's going into decline?

It's doesn't help and it's quite saddening when the internal politics of some of these countries require that you side with anti-immigrant sentiment just to stay significant in the political environment. I hope this doesn't happen in the US as well, but I do get the sense that international tea-partiers are having some kind of revival. That's even the case in the UAE where there are tons of expatriates and pockets of the local population have become very resentful of their presence.

Moral of the story: when the money's tight, you have to blame someone.

Silver lining: you really get to know a person from how they deal with adversity.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Here are some articles which I've skimmed through. Honestly, I haven't had a chance to look into the accuracy of the claims etc. so read at your own peril.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Last one.

I think this guy is making good noise in Switzerland..

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes that is the sad truth, and the reason something like the Holocaust could happen again. When people have enough money they tend to forget how they change when the money is gone.

On the bright side, even though Wilders is popular in the Netherlands the large majority still thinks he is an idiot (and his ideas are disgusting).

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Really?

I was under the impression his party is immenseley popular.

That's good to hear. If you can find it easily, would love to see an article or anything to that effect. It's probably a case of the media distorting the public's actual views I guess.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Mathloom, do you believe the Muslims who have moved to Europe, many times to take advantage of the generous social benefits, are 100% blameless in this situation?

9. arno_ed

Yes that is true, He is popular, but even in the last election he was barely the third party of the country (with 15.4 % of the votes, 1.5 million people voted for him).

I can find many articles in Dutch, but in English it is more difficult. The wikipedia entry for the dutch election of 2010 might be interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_general_election,_2010

The sad part is that Wilders is most popular in the South of Netherland (One of the provinces with very few non-western immigrants)

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This isn't a time for for seeing all sides of the story or even admitting there is. This is a time for railing on opposing viewpoints, and taking extreme defensive stances because of the enormous amount of energy people invest in certain belief structures that are completely and utterly fallible.

It seems religion is mostly around for politics, to divide the populace - but first and foremost to justify atrocities so humans don't have to feel guilty about their actions.

It really must be odd to invest so much in something so fallible, written by man, for man, edited a thousand times over yada yada yada that causes so much pain and death and destruction over thousands of years.

But hey, they all mean well right? Look how it's brought DD together!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DD? or D&D?

Just askin...

DD

12. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Yeah, it's not like Muslim blow up people or try to impose sharia law on Western countries. That just never happens.

13. arno_ed

Impose Sharia law on western countries? Name one?

And it is not like Christians are invading coutries (Afghanistan and Iraq) or molesting young children. (do you see how stupid it is to generalize an entire religion)

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Very good question. The self-victimization of certain posters here - Mathloom, of course...trustme, of course - is just ridiculous. It is not just about "tight money" - it is about the behavior and attitude of certain immigrant groups.

Not surprising that Mathloom would be a fan of Tariq Ramadan.

Sounds familiar.

arno_ed, Wilders is far from someone who would pursue a holocaust - the likelihood that the people who represent the extreme ideology he warns about would commit a holocaust is much higher.

glynch, remove the tin foil hat once in a while. You seem to be a really nice, naive guy.

15. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Are you serious?

Do I need to list all the Muslim terrorist bombings?

Do I really need to list all the efforts to bring Sharia law to the West?

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Of course I meant you DaDakota ;)

17. arno_ed

I Didn't say Wilders would Pursue a Holocaust, I do not believe he is that crazy, i stated that the ease people have with blaming other groups for their problems is a major factor during the Holocaust. And in the right circumstances and the "right" charismatic leader such an event could happen again, unfortunately.

No why would you need to do that? I just stated crazy people do crazy things. In any religion or group. And blaming al the people who are part of that religion for something crazy people have done is just not right. I do not blame al Catholics for the Abuses of young children by priests, I blame the crazy priests.

Yes please, Because I do not know any.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How can anyone believe all the members of this humongous group are blameless?

Surely some of them are at fault.

I do however resent the notion that they are just there to take advantage of social benefits. There is a reason why they are being allowed into those countries, and I assure you it's not purely goodness of heart.

In many cases, these countries need to stimulate their economies because it's going down the gutter due to an ageing population, negative birthrate, etc, and they couldn't fathom any shrinkage in the economy.

I think every one of these groups is gaining something and losing something from the deal. I just happen to think that on and around December 2010, many Europeans have become increasingly hostile towards a religion and/or race, and that's largely fueled by the economic/political problems in those countries.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

When was the last time a Muslim tried to impose Sharia law on Western countries?

That one really baffles me.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Your assurance is worthless.

Yes, so they should let well-educated immigrants in. Letting stone-throwing, intolerant people who marry their relatives and merely want to take advantage of social benefits while hating the country in does NOT stimulate the economy. Not in a positive way, at least.

No, that's largely fueled by the attitudes of certain immigrant groups, their extremely high crime rates and the ass-backwards ideology they have brought with them, including treatment of women and partial aversion to education.