1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-Bush rhetoric endangers Kerry

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IROC it, Jul 20, 2004.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Keep it coming... keep on jawin'

Anti-Bush rhetoric endangers Kerry
    link to article

Chuck RAASCH

Washington — You would think the world was not at war on terrorism with the images and arguments that have consumed politics lately.

New reports emerge every day about the failures of the U.S. government before 9/11 or the threats that remain.

But this week, Republicans responded by trying to broaden a new front in the culture wars that a majority of Americans don't put near the top of their biggest concerns. Democrats were forced into a trivial retreat by the extreme rhetoric of Hollywood's most outspoken liberals.

The Republicans, provoking a fresh skirmish designed to mobilize religious conservatives, failed in an attempt to amend the Constitution to define marriage as between a man and woman.

While an important issue for hard-core supporters on both sides, same-sex marriage was ranked last among 14 top issues when Americans cited their concerns in a February USA TODAY-CNN-Gallup poll. With such nominal support, gay marriage opponents could not cross the considerable threshold of amending the Constitution, which has been done only 27 times in the nation's 228-year history.

It seemed an out-of-place time for such a debate. The Senate debate was a sideshow to much larger questions that will accompany Bush throughout the 2004 campaign. Whether you are married, single, gay or straight, are you safer than before 9/11, or not? And what is the endgame in Iraq?

As for John Kerry, he raked in more than $7 million at a New York fund-raiser that featured actress Whoopi Goldberg making obscene references to Bush's name. Actor Chevy Chase, who has made some of the least intellectually challenging movies in Hollywood history, demeaned Bush's intelligence and called him a liar. Musician John Mellencamp performed a song with lyrics calling Bush a "thug" who wantonly sacrificed America's youth.

Kerry's surrogates later backed away from the extreme rhetoric. But given a chance at the event itself, Kerry embraced these entertainers as the "heart and soul" of America. Republicans pounced, and Democrats went into image control.

In an interview with Gannett News Service, Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe said he didn't like the language at the event but played down its significance.

But reining in the left may be McAuliffe's toughest mission. The hatred of Bush on the left equals the animosity the right held for Bill Clinton. It's to such a degree that the biggest test at the Democratic National Convention later this month will be keeping the Bush-bashing to a moderate din.

If Kerry doesn't more forcefully distance him from such rhetoric, he could repeat the mistakes of the anti-Clinton Republicans.

link to article

2. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

If Kerry doesn't more forcefully distance him from such rhetoric, he could repeat the mistakes of the anti-Clinton Republicans.

The fact that many Americans are frustrated and pissed with the current administration should not be silenced. People are going to vent in different ways and the fact that this administration seems to be indifferent to criticism just aggravates the frustration and anger.
    Of course the best way to vent and make your message loud,clear and effective is to vote his shubbery out of office.

I don't think it would matter who the Democrats put up for office,because all the republicans would do is complain how liberal and left leaning and how non centered the candidate is,even if it's not true.
    Clinton was way more moderate than this turkey in office. At least he tried to comprimise, shrub throws a hissy fit because he can't understand why people just don't do what he says.
    Both men are flawed, but Clinton's sex life never affected my freedom of speech or protest or my overtime at work. Thanks for the last one shrub.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I thought the overtime issue was shot down?

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

...Bush affects your freedom of speech, or protest, or your overtime at work? (well, maybe the OT, a bit,...but c'mon think of the big picture)...

Clinton was alright till he infringed on my sacred right to bear arms...Let's talk about protection of rights, and I see far more deliverance via President Bush...Bush won't infringe that unless it passes in the House...Alas, the Republicans "control" the House, so it won't happen,...and we can all thank Mr. Clinton for that...

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I don't think so, kerry's attacks are more against Bush's policy than his character. While on the other hand, Bush seems to have more ad hominem attacks on kerry and edwards (liberal, trial lawyer, etc. and flip flop, i don't get that insult, 30% of the country has flip flopped their opinion of the war, our country is constantly flip flopping on issues because we have intellectual debate and television. I guess I must be a flip flop because andymoon's arguments have changed my opinion on drug policy, its better than being a hypocrite who says that he supports our troops and then cuts their pay.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

8. Juan Bon Jovi

Juan Bon Jovi Member

bush is a bad guy i hope he looses the election. im voting for kerry edward

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why does Kerry have to run ads when he has CBS, NBC, ABC and CNN shilling for him?

10. Juan Bon Jovi

Juan Bon Jovi Member

because fox news is trying to steal the election again

11. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Classy!

Lawmaker Decries Kerry-bin Laden Stickers

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A Republican lawmaker says it was inappropriate for a GOP office to display a bumper sticker declaring: "Kerry is bin Laden's Man. Bush is Mine."

Kentucky Rep. Anne Northup said she found out about the stickers over the weekend and doesn't want any more distributed. "What campaigns need to center on, debates need to center on and the party needs to focus on are ideas," she said.

Jefferson County GOP chairman Jack Richardson IV said the stickers were so popular that GOP headquarters ran out Friday. He won't distribute more, but is trying to locate their source for those who want them. "I believe in the question this bumper sticker raises," Richardson said.

Bill Garmer, chairman of the Kentucky Democratic Party, said the sticker equates a decorated Vietnam veteran with Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) — "one of the greatest enemies of the United States."

"It goes way over the line," he said.

A spokesman for the Kerry campaign previously called on GOP lawmakers to condemn the sticker, saying it was a "hateful and mean-spirited smear campaign."

12. Juan Bon Jovi

Juan Bon Jovi Member

bush is no better than hitler yo

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What do you expect from the same party who compared a three time amputee veteran to OBL and Hussein?

14. Mulder

You may be Mexico's biggest rock star, but you are also the newest star of my ignore list. Congrats!

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

:D :D :D :D

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh God....the weirdos that infest the GARM have found out about this place!

NOOOOOOOOOOO

17. Mulder

As Johnny Storm would say, FLAME ON!

[​IMG]

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Gracias, bobo.

What an incredibly ignorant comment.

19. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

comments like that will get you no love from either side in this forum.

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

ooooooooooohhhhhhh he's halfway there
    ooooooooooohhhhhhh livin' on a prayer