1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Mundine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Oct 24, 2001.

1. ScreamingRocketJet

This is a test thread...

I want to hear from people in the USA if the name "Anthony Mundine" means anything to any of them...if they have ever heard of him?

For the aussies on the board...please do NOT post. Thanks.:)

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

nope. sorry. who is he?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His particular... plight is not not one which is given a great deal of thought in the US. We have our own problems along the same lines, and tend to consider them. Also his class doesn't seem to be a big one with American audiences.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

hadn't heard of him but I saw a nice documentary on Ian Roberts
    [​IMG]
    yum!

5. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

huh?
    so who is he?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

For those of you asking who he is, simply use one of the plethora of Internet search engines. They are amazing tools.

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

This is the info I found. Mundine sounds like the Saudi prince that came over and gave 10 million only to have it shoved back in his face by Guilliani for making similar remarks.

Aussie MSN Link

Anthony's website with Apology

As always, think before you speak. ((( Bill Mahr ))) :mad:

8. ScreamingRocketJet

Our media was suggesting it was a HUGE story in the USA, which it clearly wasn't...

Briefly...Mundine is an ex footballer who is doing quite well as a boxer...he will fight for a world title soon.

He is a nice guy...but not exactly very capable of expressing himself. He muddles his words etc and isn't too bright...

He made some comments this week that were ridiculously stupid...and ones he didn't really mean to come across as they sounded. Hopefully it won't haunt him his whole career...

Outlaw? Are you a girl or gay?:) Because...if you are a girl, then forget Ian Roberts! He is australia's most famous gay athlete. Really cool guy and I admire the guts he displayed to 'come out' and admit he's gay whilst playing Rugby League...

Some idiots had a problem with him being gay AND a footballer...but who cares...good luck to the bloke.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Oh Oh Man! :D

Outlaw you cannot move to Australia!

;)

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Ian Roberts - One of the most couragious rugby players ever, to go public on his sexualality while still playing the sport was an amazingly couragious decision.

Screaming - you guess which one Outlaw is considering he is a fan of Ian

Outlaw for Oz

11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Now we all know who Anthony 'The Man' Mundine is, I'll put in my two cents worth.

Firstly, I have no problem with people speaking freely. Australia is a democracy, and everyone has a right to free speach. But for Mundine to say that 'America bought the attacks onto themselves' was going a little too far.

Secondly, Mundine is a 'stubby short of a six pack', so to speak. He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If he had more knowledge, then maybe he could have rephrased his comments in a less offensive and controversial way. Maybe something along the lines of: "The attacks were a matter of when, not if..."

Thirdly, being undefeated so far in his boxing career may have gone to his head. Athletes tend to think that they are superior to everyone else, and his comments were possibly just a way of saying 'I am better than everyone else'. Who knows??

Fourthly, how can 'America bought the attacks onto themselves.' be taken out of context? If Mundine wants to really be 'The Man', then he would have just admitted that he said the wrong thing, appologised, and life would have gone on.

Finally, I do not know Mundine personally. From what I've heard he is a pretty nice guy- and everyone makes mistakes. Sure, he said the wrong thing, a few people got pissed off, but life goes on. If I judged everyone on their mistakes, I wouldn't have any friends.

On a side note, Mundine comparing his status to Don Bradman was totally wrong. I doubt there will be many better cricket player or sportsman who are better than Bradman.

12. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I draw the line at greco-roman wrestling w/ homosexuals. Rugby's probably out of the question.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

getsmart,

Mundine is certainly the Man in my mind. I find his confidence in his own ability amazing, not sure he a stupid, just doesn't check what he is about to say before he says it. A little like Davis Campese used to do, although he probably was a brick short of the load.

The statement America brought is upon themselves is certainly a harsh call. Terrorism has no place in our society. He worded this really badly, but i think i know what he is getting at. (but that's a completely different kettle of fish that i don't want to be flamed to death by getting into a discussion about some of the terrible things the USA over the course of history)

But I certainly agree with him questioning why the Auatralian government has to blind follow America in seeking retribution. Little Johnny monkey boy really has become Georgey's little b****.

Smeg

14. ScreamingRocketJet

Great post Smeg...agree with every word.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most boxers are not the best in the world at media relations. Case in point: Bernard Hopkins comming out dressed like a Mexican Wrestler or a Dominatrix, and throwing Puerto Rico's flag to the ground and saying:

[​IMG]

then

If something comes out of a boxer's mouth here's what you do: smile, nod, look the other way, and forget what he said as soon as possible.