1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Davis could lead in 4 statistical categories

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Dec 6, 2014.

1. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Who cares if he's leading in 4 categories. Who cares if he's leading in 8 categories. His team isn't even .500.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no Magic and Kareem walking through that door to stand in Davis' way, either.

Dream and Ralph went through one of the best teams in NBA history like a knife through butter. Dream was clearly the best player on the Rockets in that series, by far, and the best player on the court...sorry Magic, not that year.

Akeem in 20 Playoff games in 1986 (age 23)

26.9 ppg
    11.8 rpg
    3.5 bpg
    2.0 steals

All those stats are better than Davis right now.

Uh, you can't use the Sampson argument then say Davis' numbers are better than a Rookie 22-yr old Akeem, at the same time. Akeem was 21ppg, 12 rpg and 2.7 bpg as a 22yr, as well. He would have scored more if Sampson was not he teammate. See how that argument works both ways.

Also, this being Davis' 3rd NBA season is actually an advantage to growth, when comparing 22yr Akeem to 22yr Davis.

Being in the NBA longer is an advantage to development for Davis. He gets superior development in the NBA than Kentucky.,,plus learns how to do the 82-game schedule sooner. However, it also leads to more pounding on his body and can shorten his career (age-wise).,,look at TMac and Howard

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Your boy Marc Gasol seems to do fine running the Grizzlies offense out of the high post. Your statement is sort of ironic in that light.

4. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

great comparison...btw harden already did it in his 1st year in houston... he took bunch of scubs to po

5. what

what Member

Actually most of the offense in years past was run through Zbo on the low block.

Do you even watch the grizzlies enough to evaluate my statement? Considering this quote, it appears not.

But I take it you were just trying to be funny in that adolescent sort-of-way

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has Abdul Jabbar potential.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

heypartner broke it down pretty well in a response to your post.

Just wanted to add....

Hakeem started in the NBA at 22 but he started playing organized Bball only a few years prior to the Lakers series. Anthony has been playing Bball throughout his life.

Considering that, Hakeem's numbers in that playoff run, are even more impressive.

Defensively, I think Davis can come the closest anyone has to Hakeem.

Offensively, he needs to develop a reliable post game before we can consider puting him in that category. As of right now he is getting his points because of his athleticism like Amare used to in his early years on the Suns (before the injury).

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

An MVP HAS to be able to 1) create his own shot & finish on single coverage and 2) effectively pass out of the double team to his open teammate.

I don't watch enough of Davis to know if he does that, but it sounds like he doesn't.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Davis will be gone by then.

I bet he ends up a Laker. Throw-up. LOL

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He flashes a lot.

he will be doing that well in a year or two.

Might even be at the end of this season, but the kid is a freak.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm just bringing up some other points that's all.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm going to disagree. An MVP Low Post Player has to be able to beat a double team, not just always pass it; otherwise, thr defense dictates what you do

All the best C/PFs could beat a double team. Davis isn't even sniffing that level yet, like Akeem did to the Lakers at age 23.

A turnaround, baseline, fadeaway jumper beats a double team

13. Sadboy

Sadboy Member

Wake me up when he starts winning.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The other thing with Davis is that he has finally grown into his body. He was 6'2" like 5 years ago.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Fair enough. I guess I just meant the player couldn't get freaked by a double team & cough up turnovers.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

SMH. Just terrible.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he look ok

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You can't be in the MVP conversation if your team isn't on pace to make the playoffs. Historically, you don't even get in the conversation unless your team is a Championship contender.

19. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Dream was simply amazing. Greatest center in the modern era imo.

Davis vs Garnett is a good comparison. I think Davis have a very good chance to be better than Garnett.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, he doesn't...