1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Apr 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Series premier in less than 10 minutes on CNN. Looking forward to this.

2. Win

Win Contributing Member

I have the DVR set to record. Am hoping the broadcast change will make Bourdain's show all the better. Am a little worried after 'The Taste' which did not go down so well. Maybe no fault of Anthony's. Err maybe yes, maybe no.

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I don't like Bourdain at all.. But you have to respect the guy, he has taken over the food channels on Australian cable.

This one actually looks interesting to me though

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

How can you dislike the man. I mean yeah he's a typical tri state area liberal but he always goes out of his way to include the likes of Ted Nugent on his show. He especially champions local cuisines be it street food or mom and pop eateries.
    He had Bill Murray on an episode.

But more importantly.... he HATES all hipsters!

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This show is undecipherable from No Reservations.

6. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

= no reservations

:confused::confused:

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

No Reservations was one of my favorite shows. It's basically back on a different channel which is fine by me. I don't think it needs any changes.

I'm enjoying the show and I'm hungry for more.

8. New Generation

Had to switch channels since Food Network/Travel Network refused to let him travel to the numerous dangerous places he wanted to; Gaza, for example.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn. If it's like No Reservations, I'll have to record it regularly. I forgot to watch it tonight.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bourdain made no pretense: it's the same production crew as No Reservations and it's essentially the same show. The difference is the level of access/control that CNN offers over the Travel Channel. The name "CNN" still opens doors across the world in a way that his old network never could. Thus, we get a premier in Myanmar, which would've been inaccessible to even CNN a few years ago.

I'm really excited, although I'm a fanboy. I loved No Reservations and The Layover and have high expectations for Parts Unknown.

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Human powered ferris wheels in Myanmar are pretty amazing.

12. s land balla

I want to see Bourdain go to Iran and Pakistan.

CNN, make it happen.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not much chance of this after the Lebanon episode.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

His books are worth reading as well.

15. s land balla

The first Beirut episode got him the highest ratings of any episode of No Reservations...so it's possible.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I may have to check this out as I was a huge No Reservations junkie

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

It was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

18. s land balla

I really like this piece Bourdain wrote:

Human race is 'essentially good'

Before I set out to travel this world, 12 years ago, I used to believe that the human race as a whole was basically a few steps above wolves.

That given the slightest change in circumstances, we would all, sooner or later, tear each other to shreds. That we were, at root, self-interested, cowardly, envious and potentially dangerous in groups. I have since come to believe — after many meals with many different people in many, many different places — that though there is no shortage of people who would do us harm, we are essentially good.

That the world is, in fact, filled with mostly good and decent people who are simply doing the best they can. Everybody, it turns out, is proud of their food (when they have it). They enjoy sharing it with others (if they can). They love their children. They like a good joke. Sitting at the table has allowed me a privileged perspective and access that others, looking principally for “the story,” do not, I believe, always get.

People feel free, with a goofy American guy who has expressed interest only in their food and what they do for fun, to tell stories about themselves — to let their guard down, to be and to reveal, on occasion, their truest selves.

I am not a journalist. I am not a foreign correspondent. I am, at best, an essayist and enthusiast. An amateur. I hope to show you what people are like at the table, at home, in their businesses, at play. And when and if, later, you read about or see the places I’ve been on the news, you’ll have a better idea of who, exactly, lives there.

“Parts Unknown” is supposed to be about food, culture and travel — as seen through the prism of food. We will learn along with you. When we look at familiar locations, we hope to look at them from a lesser-known perspective, examine aspects unfamiliar to most.

People, wherever they live, are not statistics. They are not abstractions.

Bad things happen to good people all the time. When they do, hopefully, you’ll have a better idea who, and what, on a human scale, is involved.

I’m not saying that sitting down with people and sharing a plate is the answer to world peace. Not by a long shot.

But it can’t hurt.

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I love his No Reservations" Vietnam. Looking forward to this season.

20. s land balla

Looks like the Season 2 premiere this Sunday will be close enough to Pakistan.

Punjab, India. Should be good.