1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Bennett

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2013.

1. basketballholic

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I like Bennett, who could be one of the best in this draft class. Trob needs to develop the jumper and he'd be pretty good.

3. basketballholic

Look at their college stats. Look at their size. Then tell me why Bennett is so much better of a prospect than TRob.

Has everyone forgotten what TRob was at Kansas?

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Has everyone forgotten what Adam Morrison was at Gonzaga?

5. 713

713 Member

Grandmamama!

6. haoafu

Bennett is playing a completely different style than Trob. He has much better handle, moves and shooting/finishing ability... Very rare talent with excellant athleticism.

7. haoafu

By the way, I didn't say Bennett is much better prospect than Trob in my first post.

I think Trob could be very good if he develops a consistent jumper.

8. basketballholic

Yes...but...TRob is the much better defender and rebounder...and he's also longer and stronger.

Agree with you on Bennett's strengths. He's better from distance shooting. And his handle is better. Don't agree with you on finishing ability. He's smaller than TRob. He may look like a great finisher in the college games (as did TRob) but he's gonna have to be finishing over much longer competition now. So, I don't think that translates. If you are talking about in transition....TRob if faster in the open court so he's gonna get down quicker and TRob is longer than Bennett so I think TRob is better than him there.

The reason I'm asking this question....Bennett is projected in the top 5-7 in this draft with some projections as high as 3. And we don't think we can land a first rounder for TRob???

9. haoafu

First of all, I do think Trob has good trade value, so we may get a first round pick in this overall weaker draft or a couple second rounders.

In extended minutes, Trob's FG% regressed in his last college year(50% compared to Bennett's 57% this year) and his standing reach is relatively short.

Compare that with Faried, who is shorter than both Trob and Bennett but has better standing reach than Trob(I don't have Bennett's measuement available). Faried is a strong finisher both in college and in NBA.

Another reason Bennett had better FG% than Trob in college, and most likely will be pretty good in NBA is his combination of shooting/handle/offensive moves. Opponents can't just stay back and dare Bennett to shoot, so he can utilize his athleticism and handle to attack the rim off the dribble.

That's why shooting is so important to Trob IMO. If TRrob has the same shooting/handle as Bennett, he'd be almost impossible to guard inside and out. However, it'll take a lot of time and effort to develop.

10. basketballholic

Standing reach? Bennett didn't even participate in standing reach and vertical. Reason?

I don't think you can analyze stats down that way when comparing a guy's NBA prospects. First thing you have to remember about college stats is who they played. Huge difference there. Then you have to look at who they played with. Another huge difference there.

In my opinion, Bennett is not a better prospect than TRob. And like I say, barring something unforseen, Bennett is going top 5-7 in this draft.

11. FearTheBeardJH

Bennett is much more skilled than Robinson and he is 2 years younger. Robinson is a bust. He has no feel for the game whatsoever, he can't shoot, he can't finish at the rim, only thing he can do is rebound.

Bennett is much better finisher, shooter with face-up game and potencial to get legit post-up game.

12. basketballholic

How quickly we forget.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p4mD1PFE04c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dpzna9UZazQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now...tell me...if Washington is going to go with Bennett at #3....what will it take to trade for that pick? TRob and our #14? Perhaps TRob and DMo?? Same question for Bennett at 4 or 5.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't like Bennett at all right now, the more i watch him the more he looks like a poor man's Brandon Bass to me.

14. basketballholic

He's got more range than Bess but not nearly a good defensively or on the glass as Bass' mediocrity there.

When I see guys with effort problems defensively, I automatically think they are second rounders. So perhaps I'm underrating Bennett a little bit here but honestly if he were in next year's draft I cant see him going higher than about 20.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't even know that he has more range than Bass. We'll have to wait and see how he adjust to the NBA 3.