1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ante Up: Your predictions / expectations for Tuesdays vote

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CBrownFanClub, Nov 6, 2006.

1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Okay, just to prevent anyone from spinning their expectations of tomorrow's result after the fact, I'd love to get some people's on-the-record thoughts prospectively about 11/7/06.

Please - and for god's sake be quick and clear about it - explain your expectations for tomorrow in the following format:

If the (Republicans / Democrats) (control the House of Representatives / Control The Senate / control congress / control neither the house nor the Senate) I will consider it a (disasterous/bad/OK/good/excellent) outcome for the (Republicans / Democrats).

You can do it more than one way if you like.

Optional: Generally speaking, the party which represents my political perspective best is:
    Republican / Democrat / Other

Comments: 250 words max.
    ----------
    Allow me to start:
    If the Democrats control the House of Representatives, I will consider it a nn OK outcome for the Democrats.

If the Democrats control congress, I will consider it an excellent outcome for Democrats.

If the Democrats control neither the house nor the Senate I will consider it a disasterous outcome for the Democrats.

Generally speaking, the party which represents my political perspective best is:
    Democrat

Comments:
    Setups don't get much more ripe than this, and if we do not take the house we need to trade Hakeem and Ralph and just rebuild the whole show. The Senate is not a reasonable expectation - it would have to be a total landslide, and a total landslide in wartime is really tough - plus, the Democrats are not competitive with the Republicans in terms of organization and infrastructure right now. It might happen, I am just not that optimistic about Talen, Allen et. al all losing tomorrow - the local angles are just too tough.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i predict the republicans just squeak by and maintain the house and senate. the fix is in. most americans recognize the problems inherent with electronic voting, yet we still have it. honestly, i dont know one person who actually likes the e-voting. do any of you?

my expectations are that nothing will change and the congress will still do nothing at all, unless you count laying down for the bush/cheney administration as actually doing something. - iraq will continue to be the only war in u.s. history that congress does absolutely no overisight on. there will be no investigations regarding haliburton and stuff like fecal matter in the untreated water they were providing out troops. no investigations into who authorized torture. congress will do nothing to do their part in seeing the war thru.

bush's amnesty bill for illegal immigrants will pass - some republicans will feign disdain, but in the end, since they controll all branches of government it is them and only them who could see it thru. many democrats are pro-amnesty so it really doesnt matter who is in charge, but for neocons to claim it is the democrats who are pro-amnesty is an absolute joke.

the republicans will continue to destory the sovereignty of this country. the north amercian union will steamroll thru, even though most of the country is against it. mexico will control a port of entry in kansas city - mexican and canadian troops will be working on u.s. soil. again though, the democrats are for all this too, so it really doesnt matter who is in charge at this point.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm with jo mama. (pun intended - yes, I'm a dork)

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

congress still wont investigate the 8 billion dollars that went missing at the beginning of the iraq war.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If the Democrats control the House of Representatives, I will consider it a good outcome for America.

If the Democrats control Congress, I will consider it an excellent outcome for America and the World.

If the Democrats control neither the House nor the Senate I will consider it the death of the American Republic.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Such doom and gloom!

:D

IMO Democrats will retake the house picking up between 25 and 30 seats but fall just short in the senate, picking up 4 to 5 seats.

I will consider it a good start to reclaiming the America I know and love and will have high hopes for 08.

7. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

What he said

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree w/CBFC for the first part.

Comments: The Senate is just structured in a way that gives the Republicans the natural edge; the fact that Montana is even a contest, given the monumental corruption of a guy like Conrad Burns (Jack Abramoff's personal Gimp in the senate), is really telling and not a good sign for the state of politics in this country...again. The biggest problem is the total failure of acountabilty that the electoral process is supposed to provide, which is derailed by sickening combo of $$$ and wedge issues.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I think there are a lot of hateful, stupid people in America, so I expect the Republicans to maintain a firm grip on Congress.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dems will pick up some seats but won't regain control.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Repubs keep control. :p

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

since 1945, the average net gain for a party out of power in an off-year election is 25 seats, so anything less must be counted as a loss for the democrats. if they fail to take the house i predict the left will rush their lear jets to the barricades to denouce the death of democracy and the imminent doom of the planet from global warming.

the republicans will keep the senate. i suspect they keep the house as well. but for my democratic friends who are so sure this system is fixed, why do you bother to participate if you only trust the outcome when you agree with it?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That was pre-"operation ratf-ck." Look it up.

Way to raise the bar though.

The question for you is why do you bother to vote when the New York state Republican party is about as lively as a pile of mulepoop?

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm not making predictions about 11/7/2006 until 11/8/2006 ;)

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm going to make one prediction. The election won't be nearly as good for the Democrats as was predicted by the media as recently as last week.

Here's what I'm hoping for: a very small majority of Dems in the House, a very small majority of Republicans in the Senate, and gridlock. I'm convinced that the best thing that's happened in this country over the past 15 years was when Bill Clinton shut the Federal Government down. (Of course I was pretty mad at the time because my vacation to a National Park had to be changed.)

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I predict that the House will turn over to the Democrats and will have a bout a 10 seat cushion.

I think the Senate will be split.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.

17. rimrocker

That was Newt Gingrich.

18. rimrocker

Hope springs eternal.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My predictions....

Dems will take control of the House with a 8-10 seat majority
    Repubs will hold control of the Senate with a 1 seat majority.
    Kinky Friedman will be elected governor of Texas (Perry 2nd, Bell 3rd, Granny 4th).
    Kay Bailey Hutchinson will defeat Barbara Ann Radnofsky.
    Ellen Cohen will defeat Martha Wong.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I forgot one...

Perry will win with a whopping 29% and claim it a victory for all Texans.