1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antawn Jamison: Kobe-Dwight Friction Was Bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lock if posted

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/11/02/jamison-kobe-dwight-friction-was-bad/?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Kobe Shaq feud 2.0

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Do you know when this friction started? From the very first phone call from Kobe to Dwight after the trade.

Dwight already said he will sign extension with Lakers, then he retracted after that phone call.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ESPN source says Dwight definitely NOT doing extension with Lakers. Will test drive Lakerland for season and go to free agency in July 2013</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/233755390599372800">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you Kobe!

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Well there was no way he would sign an extension. It wouldn't be financially beneficial to him.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

No way?? Los Angeles Times was reporting that Dwight Howard had already informed the Lakers that "he will sign a five-year contract extension next summer."

Everything changed after that phone call.

Financial benefit was discussed during FA, and it was minimum. Maybe a few millions for the duration of his contract. It was never about financial benefit for Dwight.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There was no way Dwight was resigning with anyone but the Lakers because he stood to make so much more due to Bird rights.... blah blah blah... just goes to show people don't know jack.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Gotta believe Dwight wants a championship and wanted one in L.A. Couldn't have been all his fault. He must have been hoping to win there. Doubt he simply sabotaged his hopes all on his own.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

This was impossible because the CBA only allowed him to sign a 3-yr extension. He could've told them he can give an oral guarantee to re-up with the team after the season, but he could not actually sign a contract at the time.

Unless Dwight was willing to settle for the 3yr deal, he was testing FA whether he wants to or not.

9. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I would have never guessed it.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Haha I still feel like we should have signed Jamison see my vet min. Post in NBA DISH

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

Good to see someone who was there not just make Dwight the scapegoat as the rest of the Lakers/fans have. That whole situation sucked.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I know everyone took Kobe's side on the situation at least on the media standpoint, but look what Kobe has done to the Lakers in result of pushing Howard and demanding to be the number 1 option even though he is on the tail end of his career. Couldn't he just lighten up a little bit, be a bit more welcoming? Now without Howard, the Lakers are going to be bad and bad for awhile. With Howard, you are still going to have players wanting to come and maybe even some big name players coming. Kobe is a great player, one of the greatest but he should have thought about the Laker's future before he picked his fight with Howard.

But oh well.. Howard looks happy here and I am very happy to have him on our team! Lakers suck and the Rockets rule!

1 person likes this.
  13. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Same with the Shaq and Kobe dispute. When they were together in LA, I think everyone was penciling in LA to be in the Finals and winning for at least the next 5-8 years, every year. I'm not saying Kobe nor Shaq was right but how selfish was it for them to let a feud between them come between potential championships. And it gets so tiring the media always applauds Kobe's tough love and "winning attitude".

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fortunately, he plays for the Rockets now. Kobe can ruin someone else's day.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Kobe has too much ego and selfishness. He doesn't want to share spotlights. Look what happened when the Lakers beat the Clippers in the start of this season? After the game, Kobe just head right into the tunnel...not even congrats the teammates. He was like I can't believe a bunch a garbage players can win without me...i ain't having that.

1 person likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For once I appreciate what Kobe has done. :grin:

17. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

People took Kobe's side because he was the better player. Look at what he did to get his team to the playoffs

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Thank you, the biggest jerk in the NBA, also a liar and rapist.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I remember reading from lakersground laker insider during the whole free agency period, that the source was Dwight's agent, not Dwight. Remember Dwight almost walked out on his agent just before free agency?

20. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

lol. I can imagine Kobe's bossy tone in the phone call and Dwright just think: who the hell do you think you are I am not gonna be your lacky.