1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antarctic Glaciers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Mar 7, 2003.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Study of Antarctic Points to Rising Sea Levels
    By ANDREW C. REVKIN, NYTimes

New evidence from a rapidly warming part of Antarctica suggests that ice can flow into the sea much more readily than had been predicted, perhaps leading to an accelerated rise in sea levels from global warming.

Many polar and ice experts said the new study, to be published today in the journal Science, suggested that seas might rise as much as several yards over the next several centuries. They called that prospect a slow-motion disaster, the cost of which — in lost shorelines, salt in water supplies, and damaged ecosystems — would be borne by many future generations.

The new analysis focuses on the recent breakup of one of the floating ice shelves fringing the 1,000-mile Antarctic Peninsula after decades of warming temperatures there. The loss of the coastal shelves caused a "drastic" speedup of the seaward flow of inland glaciers, the researchers say.

The peninsula, which stretches north toward South America, has warmed an average of 4.5 degrees over the last 60 years, so much so that ponds of melted water now form in the southern summer atop the flat ice shelves.

The warming there has not been linked definitely to a global warming trend that scientists attribute in part to emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from human activities. Indeed, temperatures in most other parts of Antarctica have remained stable or cooled, and other ice shelves and glaciers show no signs of deterioration.

But if the warming spreads to more of Antarctica, the freeing of other glaciers could greatly accelerate the amount of ice flowing into the ocean and contributing to rising sea levels around the world.

In the new study, two Argentine researchers report on aerial surveys they conducted in 2001 and 2002, which found that the collapse of the sprawling Larsen A ice shelf in 1995 led to a sudden surge in the seaward flow of five of the six glaciers — as if a doorstop had been removed or a dam breached.

Geological evidence shows no signs of similar ice breakups along the peninsula in many thousands of years, the researchers and other experts said.

Indeed, the recent disintegration of ice shelves along both coasts of the peninsula — with another one, Larsen C, poised to go next — has come after thousands of years of stability, said Pedro Skvarca, an author of the study and the director of glaciology at the Antarctic Institute of Argentina.

"We are witnessing a very significant warning sign of climate warming," he said.

Other experts said the long-term risk of rising sea levels was still unclear. But they added that the new study underscored the importance of clarifying the relationship between Antarctica's many fringing ice shelves and the glaciers behind them.

The glaciers act like frozen rivers, transporting compacted snow from the interior to the ocean. The balance between added snow and departing ice can raise or lower the global sea level by several yards.

For 30 years scientists have been debating whether the glaciers are held back by the fringing ice, which resembles the tattered brim of a sombrero, or by friction with the land.

Now it is clear that at least some ice shelves act as a brake, said the study's authors and other glacier and polar experts who have seen the work.

The new study is the latest of several analyses in recent years that illustrate how a slow warming can lead to abrupt changes in the planet's frozen zones.

The other author was Hernán De Angelis, a geologist at the Argentine institute. Both researchers contributed last year to a study that provided the first indications of the accelerating slide of these glaciers, but this analysis provides new detail, they said, including images of terraces of "stranded ice" stuck 60 to 100 feet up on slopes that showed the glaciers' elevation just a few years ago.

The sliding could be abetted not only by the loss of the ice-shelf blockade, they said, but also by another unpredicted result of warming noted by other scientists in Antarctica and in Greenland: the rapid percolation of water from summertime ponds high on the ice sheets down through cracks to the base.

There the water acts as a lubricant, facilitating the slide of glacial ice over the earth below.

For the moment, the breakdown of ice shelves has been restricted to the Antarctic Peninsula.

Still, the continent has many other systems of ice shelves and glaciers that appear to behave similarly to the one that was the focus of the new study. The resemblance gives the findings great significance, said Dr. Theodore A. Scambos, a glacier expert at the National Snow and Ice Data Center, a joint operation of the Commerce Department and the University of Colorado.

The probability and timing of such an outcome remain unknown, but the new work has shed some light on the question, and it has increased some scientists' level of urgency.

More evidence could come in the next year or so, if the next ice shelf in line down the peninsula's coast, Larsen C, falls apart, experts said.

[​IMG]

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Long before those sea levels rise yards, melting freshwater will have shut-down the Gulf Stream and frozen Europe and the Northeast US.

3. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

When the ice in a glass if ice water melts, does the level get higher or stay the same?

The ice is already dispacing the water. If it melts wouldn't the water level stay the same?

I'm a little rusty on my physics.....

4. Cohen

A better anology is:

'when you drop an ice cube into a glass of water and it melts, does the level get higher or stay the same?'

Answer: get's higher.

5. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

The sad thing about this is the danger it places penguins in. I read an article a while back about their being endangered of losing their habitat due to this rapid melting of glaciers and whatnot.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I was about to post the same thing myself. My wife's family has extensive Dutch roots and you can bet there is a keen interest there about this subject. It's a worrisome development that I hope isn't a long-term trend.

My kids are growing up into a world quite different enough already from the one I grew up in. There is evidence around the world of glaciers melting at a higher rate and disappearing altogether. Of course, Rush Limbaugh thinks it's a bunch of goofy ivory-tower nonsense. For once, I hope he is right.

X-PAX, I'm more concerned about the hundreds of millions of people that live in the coastal regions of the world. It's a bummer about the penquins, however. I hope they can adapt.
    (I hope WE can adapt!)

7. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

No, I agree with you. I meant in the more immediate sense of this problem. But there have been articles coming out about the glaciers in the arctic giving way too. Its an unfortunate situation.

8. Cohen

Dutch? Great. Flooding and freezing, not good.

I put down Rush's first book after I skimmed his take on the environment. I couldn't read anymore if he was capable of that.

BTW, isn't it like 70 or 80% of the world's population lives close to the coast?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've never read one of his books, but I listen to his radio show from time to time just to see what's up from that side of the political spectrum. He's dismissed global warming many times as some tree-hugging, left-wing, environmental wakko nonsense without any scientific basis. And he's a hero to millions. Go figure.

10. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Considering that this will take place over several centuries, I have to have faith that humanity will adjust.

It's not like people will wake up under water one day.

Face it, this Earth is constantly changing. You've all heard of continental drift right? Africa used to be a lush rainforest.

Humanity will adjust. I'm sure that as some land will be flooded, other land will be exposed. Not to mention that Hawaii may become as big as Texas over the course of several centuries.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This won't necessarily take place over several centuries. Back a long time ago when I was still in petroleum engineering this geology course I was in showed that large fluctuations in the global average temperate took place within a period of 10's of years. By large changes in mean like 10 degrees on average, very significant. I am not one of those people who think that this will happen now, but I am letting you know it is possible for to happen much faster.

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

But please, keep driving your SUVs America! :rolleyes:

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just came across this on water...

Grim Future for World's Water
    Reuters
    Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,57921,00.html

11:47 AM Mar. 05, 2003 PT

PARIS -- World water reserves are drying up fast and booming populations, pollution and global warming will combine to cut the average person's water supply by a third in the next 20 years, the United Nations said on Wednesday.

A report published by the U.N. on Wednesday ahead of the Third World Water Forum in Kyoto, Japan, criticized political leaders for failing to take action and, in some cases, disputing the very existence of a water crisis.

"About 20 percent of the world's population does not have access to safe drinking water, which we take for granted," said Gordon Young, director of the World Water Assessment Program at UNESCO, the U.N.'s cultural agency, which compiled the report.

"There is not sufficient water for adequate sanitation and hygiene for about 40 percent of the world's population," he told a news conference in Tokyo. "It is an absolute tragedy."

Water supplies per capita have fallen dramatically since 1970 and are likely to continue declining, the report found.

More than 2.2 million people die each year from diseases related to contaminated drinking water and poor sanitation, the report said, but evidence of the problem was being ignored.

By 2050, the report said, water scarcity will affect between 2 billion and 7 billion people. This assumes a projected total of 9.3 billion, and also depends on what measures political leaders take to tackle the crisis.

"Attitude and behavior problems lie at the heart of the crisis," the report said. "Inertia at leadership level, and a world population not fully aware of the scale of the problem means we fail to take the needed timely corrective actions."

Young said that in an era when enormous sums are spent on armaments, it would not take much money to improve the situation.

"The difficulty is having the political will to do it," he said.

The report also touched on the threat of conflict over water, which Young said was a concern in a number of regions but especially the Middle East.

One particular area of concern surrounds the Euphrates and Tigris rivers, which rise in Turkey and flow through Syria before providing much of the water available to Iraq.

"Now, quite clearly, the water crisis or potential for conflict in that area is totally overshadowed by the present situation," Young said. "But that water crisis, I'm sure, is one factor underlying the general politics of that area."

Despite the concern, Young said it is rare for water to lead to conflict, and that negotiations over its use reach a peaceful solution more often than not.

Billed as the most comprehensive survey of the state of the resource, the report ranked 122 countries based on the quality of their water and their ability and willingness to improve it. Belgium, surprisingly, finished dead last, below less developed countries including India, Sudan and Rwanda, which also ranked among the world's 10 worst water providers.

The report said Belgium's low quantity and quality of groundwater was combined with heavy industrial pollution and poor treatment of wastewater. Atop the quality ranking was Finland, followed by Canada, New Zealand, Britain and Japan.

The survey showcased the vast disparities in global water availability, which ranged from a low of 10 cubic meters per person per year in Kuwait to a high of 812,121 cubic meters per person per year in French Guiana.

The poor remained the worst affected, with half the population in developing countries exposed to water sources polluted by sewage or industrial waste.

The U.N. document will be presented formally to delegates at the Kyoto forum on World Water Day on March 22.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Americans generally do not know that there are subsidies placed on power and water so that we get those commodities at a bargain rate. Just because we have water coming from tap and that we have water fountains all over public places doesn't mean that its endless or even plentiful. And we fear the day the oil reserves will run out...

Technology better cover our asses soon.

I think the big question here is: What land do I have to buy in order to get the beach front properties of tommorow?

15. sosorox

sosorox Member

We evolve, so I am not worried about us. However, this may seriously change the world politically. Japan, NY, and other influential places could CEASE to be if the flooding gets too bad...:(

16. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Well, after the next Ice Age finishes (a few hundred thousand years, give or take), we can start polluting the Earth again. Yippee!! :rolleyes: